Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Historical Trailer Parks?

Registered
    Dec 1998

Historical Trailer Parks?

This LA Times article about preservation efforts of a trailer park is really interesting. None of the trailer parks I've seen are worth preserving, but, for the risk of sounding cliche', one man's trash is another's treasure.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...r17sep17.story
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I read it too and had to laugh. Thinking about buildings that were meant to be disposable as being worth preserving. Can't even reno them to bring them to code as they are too small.
    If only I had my digital images from two of our lovely parks to share with you all.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    The idea of a tourist camp intrigues me; maybe that is the part worth saving. There a few old tourist cabin places along Lincoln highway here. At one time they were good, clean places to stay overnight. Now they are places where people spend a few hours.

If this place has survived the fires, mudslides and earthquakes, then maybe it was meant to be permanent.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I posted this link a while ago, but it's always worth revisiting......
    http://www.drbukk.com/gmhom/gmindex.html
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Oct 2000
    When I worked in South Carolina, part of my job was to create in Arcview, a landuse map. Regular field checks were required, especially once we found out that what we were looking at on ortho images were not always the junkyards we thought they were, but family mobile home complexes. And I would never in a million years take my own NY Plated car, but always the county car, which wasn't always a better choice, seeing as how the "gov'mint is always coming down on the working folk". sigh.

I read a great book on this topic called Wheel Estate. It's a history of the mobile/manufactured home. It's really pretty fascinating. After reading that I would bet there are others out there that really do deserve being preserved.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Names of trailer parks
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 13 Mar 2013, 11:20 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 04 Mar 2013, 6:57 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Oct 2007, 10:09 AM
  4. Evolution of trailer parks in Malibu
    Design, Space, and Place