Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hawai'i Vacation - Throbbing Brain Advice?

Registered
    Oct 2001

Hawai'i Vacation - Throbbing Brain Advice?

I decided to just do it... drop everything and go in October. I need a real vacation, my condos were available on bonus time (Trendwest really does rock!), and the airfare was reasonable. So, I get to visit my 48th state... only North Dakota and Alaska will remain on the list.

So, who's been there, and what advice?

Here's the travel plan so far:

Fly into Honolulu by mid-day and stay over one night. Pearl Harbor and Waikiki are a must.

Quick flight that evening to Maui for 3 nights. No special Plans

Quick flight to Kona for 4 nights. Again, no special plans except a one day trip visiting the volcano.

I'm not doing it "on the cheap", so a few events (wife wants to swim with dolphins) that cost are not out of the question.

Ideas?! (Oh, and we'll be renting a car on each leg, so we have the transportation)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My parents went not too long ago.

Don't waste too much time on Oahu: one day to take in Waikiki and Pearl Harbor is good. If you go for a second day I recommend the bike trip on Diamond Head.

Maui is great, especially if you are into snorkeling since it has several shallow reefs and lagoons.

I would suggest renting motor scooters rather than a car on Maui. Many of the roads there are quite narrow and precarious. There is a road that goes around and through the island that is quite scenic. There are several guided hikes into the jungle areas as well.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Now that USS Missouri is docked at Pearl, you might want to spend a little more time there (the movie and cruise to USS Arizona Memorial takes about an hour +/-), but a quick trip to Mighty Mo' would add another 2 hrs, minimum (if you're a naval history geek and want to see such things -- and you can get the missus' approval).

I really enjoyed the Dole pineapple plantation and strongly recommend getting some fresh pineapple ice cream -- it'll spoil pineapples for you, forever, but what the hey!

The North Shore is awesome. If you go, come around the leeward side for some great beaches and snorkeling. There's a nice restaurant on the way back to Waikiki called The Crouching Lion that would be cool for eats or just refreshment.

Have a great trip and be sure to send us a postcard. (Did you know they don't have internet in HI, yet so you won't be able to post your CFFL lineup -- wonder which tema you play that week ...)
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I wish I had time to give you a complete to do list as I just spent two week on those exact three islands back last Dec.
    For now:
    Blue Hawaii Helicopter Tours. A bit more expensive, but don't even consider any other company! They were great.
    Bike down Haleakala. You have to get up REALLY early to do this, but it is very worth it!
    Always eat at beach front restaurants for dinner and get there early to get a seat by the beach. There is nothing better than eating your meal while watching an amazing sunset.
    The Polynesian Cultural Center. It's a bit touristy but very educational.

I'd give you tips as to what not to do, but I loved every minute I had on the islands.
    Hopefully I'll have more time to give some more ideas. If not, have fun!
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Go to Alaska instead....and stay away from girls on Oahu (trust me)

But on a good PR note: Sounds like fun. Have a good time.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    Quick flight that evening to Maui for 3 nights. No special Plans
    Maui MUST DO - Check out the company Mountain Riders (there are several similar firms). They will pick you up by van after midnight and drive you to the top pf Mount Haleakela (sp?) to the National Observatory. Feed you hot choloate (its below freezing at that altitude) and let you wantch the sun rise over the dormant volcano crater. After sun rise, you mountain bike (more like a coaster bike) back down the mountain, eat a square meal on the way, and see some incredible views. I think its about $75 per person and lasts till shortly after lunch.

This should be safe for work:

http://www.mountainriders.com

EDIT: I see Statler agrees!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Now that USS Missouri is docked at Pearl, you might want to spend a little more time there (the movie and cruise to USS Arizona Memorial takes about an hour +/-), but a quick trip to Mighty Mo' would add another 2 hrs, minimum (if you're a naval history geek and want to see such things -- and you can get the missus' approval).

I really enjoyed the Dole pineapple plantation and strongly recommend getting some fresh pineapple ice cream -- it'll spoil pineapples for you, forever, but what the hey!

The North Shore is awesome. If you go, come around the leeward side for some great beaches and snorkeling. There's a nice restaurant on the way back to Waikiki called The Crouching Lion that would be cool for eats or just refreshment.

Have a great trip and be sure to send us a postcard. (Did you know they don't have internet in HI, yet so you won't be able to post your CFFL lineup -- wonder which tema you play that week ...)
    Uh huh... No internet:

Resort Amenities
    · Outdoor pool
    · Outdoor children’s pool
    · Outdoor spa
    · Central area for sunbathing
    · Central barbecue area
    · Private lava rock beach (across road)
    · Public beach (5-minute drive)
    · Shared computer with internet

I'm only on Oahu one and 1/2 days, so seeing one beach and then a real good look at Pearl won't leave a ton of time... but thanks for suggestions! I'll look into all of them. (And very well might do "Big Mo'"...)

Quote Originally posted by Chet
    Maui MUST DO - Check out the company Mountain Riders (there are several similar firms). They will pick you up by van after midnight and drive you to the top pf Mount Haleakela (sp?) to the National Observatory. Feed you hot choloate (its below freezing at that altitude) and let you wantch the sun rise over the dormant volcano crater. After sun rise, you mountain bike (more like a coaster bike) back down the mountain, eat a square meal on the way, and see some incredible views. I think its about $75 per person and lasts till shortly after lunch.

This should be safe for work:

http://www.mountainriders.com

EDIT: I see Statler agrees!
    Think my fat ass can handle it?

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Go to Alaska instead....and stay away from girls on Oahu (trust me)
    Alaska is next...

And what's wrong with the girls?! The wife and I were so looking forward to meeting some loose women...

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Alaska is next...

And what's wrong with the girls?! The wife and I were so looking forward to meeting some loose women...
    Psycho. I'll tell you over a couple beers when I meet you.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Psycho. I'll tell you over a couple beers when I meet you.
    What can they do if you tie them up first?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    It's ALL downhill. You pedal maybe two or three times. You just coast on down looking at the scenery.
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    What can they do if you tie them up first?
    Man, I should've thought of that... if only I could go back to the summer of '02...

-Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    my parents and i went to Hawaii almost two years ago. we spent 5nights on the Big Island - a few nights in Kona and a few nights on the Hilo side. we then spent 4 nights on Oahu. i enjoyed the big island more than oahu. honolulu was just like another big city. the chinatown section was interesting and you might want to check out the flea market near pearl harbor if you have the time.

definitely rent a car on the big island. it is nice to just drive around and visit the different cities and towns you come across. check out the Pololu black sand beach and valley. Waipi'o valley is pretty too. If you have a lot of nerves and a good car there is a very steep descent into the valley that is supposed to be a thrill. there are also some nice waterfalls around. check out Umauma falls, Rainbow Falls, and Akaka Falls. this is also a nice botanical garden near Umauma Falls. one of the most fun and interesting things we did was hike to the New Kaimu Black sand beach. my favorite part of my Hawaiian vacation was visiting South Point. it is the southern most point of the US. it was amazing. the sea is crashing all around you. the winds are gusting at incredible speeds. it was beautiful.

i haven't been to Maui but some friends honeymooned there and loved it. from what i've heard it is supposed to be the best island for outdoor adventures.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It handled my ex-wife, it can handle you.

Lots of suggestions for the big Island as it is a favorite place of mine:

Punaluu Sweet bread in Naalehu - southern most town is US. This is awesome bread definately stop and buy some. Stop on the way to/from Volcanoes.

Kona Candy Company in Hilo - Make great chocolate dipped shortbread cookies. We get some via mail order every year.

Volcanoes National Park - Definitely a must see. Chain of Craters road is a must, but it is a long drive down and back. Lots of Petroglyphs when you get down near the ocean. You can see where the lava has cut the road and depending on the activity in the area,you can see lava going into the water (sometimes they let you get closer than other times).

There is a winery in Volcano, Hawaii, just outside of the park - they do taste tests and have some interesting wines if you are into that at all. Can't comment on the quality as I don't drink wine.

Green sand beach - If you go to South Point (southern most point in the US) and start walking east through the fields you will come to a Green Sand beach that is a great place to swim. The sand has a high olivene content and is almost a camo green swirl. As a bonus, it is a popular nude swimming place so you should expect to see a couple of people partaking

Kealakekua Bay - This is where Captain Cook was killed. You can drive down to the south east side of the bay and there are some interesting things there. If you are up for a hike, you can hike down the northwest side of the bay. Its pretty steep, but is a road so it isn't hard hiking down - coming back up is strenuous but not tough. There are ruins and a monument to Captain Cook on that side of the bay. When we went last (about 8 years ago now) there were like 2-3 other people there. I think you can take glass bottom boat tours of the bay and go snorkling as well. Very beautiful area.

Waipio Valley - This is where Kamehameha the Great was born and raised. A very cool place to visit. You can take a Land Rover ride down into the valley and wander around or take horseback rides. A very non-touristy cultural center.

Hilton Waikaloa - go here if your wife wants to swim with Dolphins. Also have a very nice beach and a place called the "Kings Trail" just outside the resort where you can walk along a path over the lava fields and see lots of petroglyphs.

The town of Waimea and Parker Ranch - Interesting area and the center of Hawaiian Cowboy culture.

If I think of any more, I'll post up.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Have you seen the Blondie cartoon today ?
    http://www.blondie.com/dailies/index.asp

Will that be your feeling once you are there ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Have you seen the Blondie cartoon today ?
    http://www.blondie.com/dailies/index.asp

Will that be your feeling once you are there ?

I'll try and post from Kilo...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i was listening to my ipod today because i'm so hip and cool. one of the songs that came on was by slack key guitar player, John Keawe. we got one of his cds when we were in Hawaii. we also got one or two by Gabby Pahinui the "father of slack key guitar". finally we got the Legend of the Ukelele cd mostly because they had "Dueling Banjos" done with ukes. pretty funny!

John Keawe: http://www.johnkeawe.com/

Gabby Pahinui: http://www.geocities.com/hawmele/Gabby/
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Thanks for all the advice, guys!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 42
    Last post: 25 Feb 2006, 6:48 PM