Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What to do in and around Dayton, Ohio?

Registered
    May 2005

What to do in and around Dayton, Ohio?

Hey everybody, I'm gonna be in the Dayton area for a weekend and wanted to know if you all had any recomendations on restaurants, (vegetarian friendly), good pubs, bars or live music venues, galleries/exhibits, or any other fun stuff you would recommend checking out. I believe on Saturday I'll be up in Yellow Springs exploring, but the rest of the weekend will be free.

Thanks in advance!
    “Do you think the porter and the cook have no anecdotes, no experiences, no wonders for you? The walls of their minds are scrawled all over with thoughts. They shall one day bring a lantern and read the inscriptions.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Registered
    Feb 2004
    http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/
    The Air Force Museum is FREE and is one of the coolest air museums to be found anywhere on earth.
    Feeling like a pacifist? You won't be by the time you leave. There are so many cool-ass P-38's, B-17's, F-80's, and F-4's there to look at, you'll feel like dropping napalm on your neighbors house on your way out!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Visit the Oregon District.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    Visit the Oregon District.
    Looks cool. Wish I had known about it

Take your bike and ride down some of Dayton's numerous riverside bike trails. You can bike almost all the way to Cinci.

Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/
    There are so many cool-ass P-38's, B-17's, F-80's, and F-4's there to look at, you'll feel like dropping napalm on your neighbors house on your way out!
    Static shows are cool, but there's nothing like HEARING an approaching F-4 Phantom. That mofo is so loud, it's a wonder all of 'em weren't shot down in Viet Nam.
    Batter up!

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Off-topic:

Static shows are cool, but there's nothing like HEARING an approaching F-4 Phantom. That mofo is so loud, it's a wonder all of 'em weren't shot down in Viet Nam.
    That reminds me of when the Honda CBX came out. The Japanese version had a header that sounded remarkably similar to the Phantom jet. The transportation officials in the US decided that was not a good thing.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I hear Cincinnati is nice , especially Oktoberfest.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    If I were going to spend some time in the Dayton, OH area, I would probably spend at least a few hours checking out their electric trackless trolley bus system, something found in only four other much larger metros in the USA (Boston, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Seattle).

I would also seek out the Wright Brothers' sites.

Mike

Registered
    May 2005
    Thanks for the tips everybody!
    “Do you think the porter and the cook have no anecdotes, no experiences, no wonders for you? The walls of their minds are scrawled all over with thoughts. They shall one day bring a lantern and read the inscriptions.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Registered
    Sep 2005
    if you are up in yellow springs, you will want to eat at the winds.

if you are downtown in the evening, check out the local and small touring acts at Canal Street Tavern.

the Dayton Art Institute on the west side is a magnificent building.

If it is a nice day, walk around downtown and check out some interesting public art and sculptures. The fountains are nice on the right days too. There has been some effort to reconnect the people with the rivers.

http://www.metroparks.org/Facilities...iverscape.html
    http://www.riverscape.org/html/body_..._stations.html

have fun - tell us what you saw!

Registered
    May 2005

Here ya go!

We spent Friday evening checking out different bars/pubs around the area. ( Too many to list, and honestly I can't remember the names ). We did check out the Oregon District, cool area with some killer houses around as well! Not really my scene, a little too college oriented for me but still fun. Ended up at a place called Therapy Cafe down on 5th street. Very nice place! Right next to some awesome lofts called The Cannery I believe. Probably about as urban as you're gonna find in Ohio.

Saturday was great, spent the day in Yellow Springs. Great little shops and restaraunts, definitely worth a visit if you're in the area. We ended up eating at a pizza joint called Ha Ha Pizza. Absolutely delish! Whole grain wheat crust, all organic, awesome salad bar and very cheap! Saturday night we went to a live music venue called Elbos in Downtown Dayton. Forget Cassettes and De Novo Dahl played a nice show, lots of fun.

On Sunday I went to the Miami-Oxford area to visit with a friend who is attending school there. An absloutley beautiful campus! Had a nice lunch and walked around checking out the area. Kind of a weird place, the only thing there is the university, so there is like 15-20k students and not much else.

So that's it, had a good time and had mostly great weather. Thanks again for the tips everybody, I'll be sure to get some more ideas from you all before my next rip.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I remember an episode of The Simpsons, where Homer and Marge had to go to Dayton, OH to see an old uncle who was having a birthday (they ended up going to Miami instead though, then Dayton was destroyed by a tornado, and Bart & Lisa found out and chased 'em around the country).

Anyways, I think I remember they were looking at an advertisement that mentioned The Zipper Museum. Don't know if it's actually true. But it was funny nonetheless.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ohio......

Quote Originally posted by eightiesfan
    Hey everybody, I'm gonna be in the Dayton area for a weekend and wanted to know if you all had any recomendations on restaurants, (vegetarian friendly), good pubs, bars or live music venues, galleries/exhibits, or any other fun stuff you would recommend checking out. I believe on Saturday I'll be up in Yellow Springs exploring, but the rest of the weekend will be free.

Thanks in advance!

How about some golf, I hear they have a nice course nearby.....(I just made this statement up, but I'm sure there is a golf course nearby.... )
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 13 Apr 2005, 7:24 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 01 Apr 2005, 10:11 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 Feb 2005, 7:47 PM
  4. Hello from Dayton, Ohio!
    Introduce Yourself