Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Portland, OR in September???

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004

Portland, OR in September???

I am attending the National Preservation Conference in Portland, OR September 25-October 2. Anyone else planning on attending? Anyone in the vicinity up for a laefest?? I have two friends that live up there, and am going to be there for a week. Looking forward to it, I have never been to Portland.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    ^ I might check out the conference. I'd definetely be up for a Laefest in PDX as it would be exceedingly convenient for me as it is my new locale. The weather is perfect here that time of year. Dry and mild. I would think the Bay Area up to the Puget Sound might be close enough to draw fellow Cyburbians from. Coming from Missouri, Portland should be quite a new experience for you.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by dobopoq
    Coming from Missouri, Portland should be quite a new experience for you.

Yeah, we actually plan stuff that gets implemented!

I bet I could get free for a laefest... It's a couple hour ride, but I have a nice T&T budget. Let me look at the conference, maybe I'll actually attend!

Edit: Man, they don't even have the sessions out yet...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    Yeah, we actually plan stuff that gets implemented!

I bet I could get free for a laefest... It's a couple hour ride, but I have a nice T&T budget. Let me look at the conference, maybe I'll actually attend!

Edit: Man, they don't even have the sessions out yet...
    I know they don't I am just so excited to find a conference at a location I really want to go to. I was going to hit the Main Street conference in Baltimore but decided I didn't have the time for bothand chose Portland. I have never been there and REALLY want to see it. AND hey, we plan stuff that gets implemented too!!
    Well cool, now I am really looking forward to it...it will be fun to meet some Cybubians that I probably otherwise would never get a chance to meet. Portland is a ways off for me and between work and the boys it takes a lot for me to get to a conference. Sucks because we have $ in the budget for me to go to pretty much any conference I want to go to...
    I have a brochure that shows the sessions but I guess it isnt online yet...

Quote Originally posted by dobopoq
    ^ I might check out the conference. I'd definetely be up for a Laefest in PDX as it would be exceedingly convenient for me as it is my new locale. The weather is perfect here that time of year. Dry and mild. I would think the Bay Area up to the Puget Sound might be close enough to draw fellow Cyburbians from. Coming from Missouri, Portland should be quite a new experience for you.
    Your right it would be a great new experience for me. My ex husband wanted me to move there, he spends a lot of time there and absolutely loves it...I have two friends that live there and plan on seeing them while I am there too.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 18 May 2005 at 2:41 PM.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Your right it would be a great new experience for me. My ex husband wanted me to move there, he spends a lot of time there and absolutely loves it...I have two friends that live there and plan on seeing them while I am there too.
    No one in Portland will ask you what wedding you are planning next... or what you "plant".

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    No one in Portland will ask you what wedding you are planning next... or what you "plant".
    Ha ha LOL!! I don't even tell people I am a planner anymore...I just say "I work for the City of blah, blah, blah" sometimes they ask what I do, other times they don't. It is such a hard thing to explain to someone...if they do ask I tell them "I keep Main Street pretty", that usually stifles anymore questions!!
    I cannot wait to see Portland, where people do really know what planners are...around here, they accept us and hire us to do our jobs, but really dont understand what it is we do

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Ha ha LOL!! I don't even tell people I am a planner anymore...I just say "I work for the City of blah, blah, blah" sometimes they ask what I do, other times they don't. It is such a hard thing to explain to someone...if they do ask I tell them "I keep Main Street pretty", that usually stifles anymore questions!!
    I cannot wait to see Portland, where people do really know what planners are...around here, they accept us and hire us to do our jobs, but really dont understand what it is we do
    Not sure who else will be along, but you'll need a tour guide for sure. I'd suggest you see some of the following (in no particular order):

In Portland

Japanese Garden - http://www.japanesegarden.com/
    Portland Saturday Market - http://www.saturdaymarket.org/
    Powell's (If you like bookstores) - http://www.powells.com/
    Pearl District - www.shopthepearl.com

A little farther out

Astoria / Long Beach (About 2 hours) - http://www.oldoregon.com/
    Multnomah Falls & Columbia Gorge (45 Minutes) - http://www.multnomahfallslodge.com/
    Willamette Valley Wine Country (30 min. to hours) - http://www.oregonwinecountry.org/

Places to Eat!

Jake's Famous Crawfish (Great seafood) - Lots of reviews on the web
    One of the McMenamin Pubs - http://www.mcmenamins.com/
    Sushi Cafe K (Best sushi IMO) - Reviews on the web

I'm sure prenty of area people will have stuff to add, but those are my fave's.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Not sure who else will be along, but you'll need a tour guide for sure. I'd suggest you see some of the following (in no particular order):

In Portland

Japanese Garden - http://www.japanesegarden.com/
    Portland Saturday Market - http://www.saturdaymarket.org/
    Powell's (If you like bookstores) - http://www.powells.com/
    Pearl District - www.shopthepearl.com

A little farther out

Astoria / Long Beach (About 2 hours) - http://www.oldoregon.com/
    Multnomah Falls & Columbia Gorge (45 Minutes) - http://www.multnomahfallslodge.com/
    Willamette Valley Wine Country (30 min. to hours) - http://www.oregonwinecountry.org/

Places to Eat!

Jake's Famous Crawfish (Great seafood) - Lots of reviews on the web
    One of the McMenamin Pubs - http://www.mcmenamins.com/
    Sushi Cafe K (Best sushi IMO) - Reviews on the web

I'm sure prenty of area people will have stuff to add, but those are my fave's.
    WOW!! I may extend the trip and extra few days!! Astoria/Long Beach looks incredible!! Thanks for all the great ideas!! I cannot wait to get out that way!!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Mastiff's list is good. I'll add a few...

In Portland
    Check out some of the eastside's funky neighborhood commercial areas for a true flavor of the city. Examples include SE Hawthorne Blvd, NE Alberta St, NE Fremont St, NE Broadway, SE Division, all west of SE 60th Ave.

Ride MAX, our light rail system, out to Gresham or Hillsboro, or take the new Yellow line up Interstate Avenue and see all the new development going on up there. Also, you can take it from the Airport. Check out TriMet.org

The Chinese Garden is also lovely. http://www.portlandchinesegarden.org/home

Forest Park, if you like hiking in the woods without ever leaving city limits http://www.portlandparks.org/NaturalAreas/Forest.htm

Further afield...

Mt. Hood/Timberline Lodge http://www.timberlinelodge.com/

My favorite restaurants

Lauro Kitchen
    Doug Fir
    ClarkLewis
    Bridgeport Ale House

Activities

Check out the Zoo...especially fun if you're bringing your kids. It's on the light rail, too, at the deepest underground rail station in America.http://www.oregonzoo.org/
    The Vera Katz Esplanade is a great way to experience the city
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Forget the conference sessions, I am just going to go see all these places!! I knew Portland would be a great city to see, never imagined so many things to do...good indicator of how great the place is by how much those that live in and around have so many good things to say...again, thanks for all the great ideas! Its going to take me the entire week just to see all these places.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Forget the conference sessions, I am just going to go see all these places!!
    Heh heh... We won't tell. I think a laefest is in order! We must have five or six regulars on here from the northwest.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Hey guys, I am getting ready to register for this conference and trying to decide which hotel to stay in. Seeing I have never been to Portland, I have no idea where things are, etc...so of these four can someone tell me which is 1) closest to fun stuff and 2) nicest (ugh, the City is paying, might as well enjoy myself )
    Input please...thanks...

1. The Hilton Portland and Executive Tower (conference center)
    2. The Benson Hotel (309 Broadway)
    3. The Govenor Hotel (614 SW 11th Ave.)
    4. The Heathman Hotel (1001 SW Broadway at Salmon

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Hey guys, I am getting ready to register for this conference and trying to decide which hotel to stay in. Seeing I have never been to Portland, I have no idea where things are, etc...so of these four can someone tell me which is 1) closest to fun stuff and 2) nicest (ugh, the City is paying, might as well enjoy myself )
    Input please...thanks...

In terms of location, they're all within easy walking distance of the conference hotel and close to fun stuff. My favorite hotel in Portland is the Lucia, which is right across Broadway from the Benson. It's very sleek and trendy, and is decorated with a hundred or so David Hume Kennerly (Pulitzer-winning and Gerald Ford's official phototog) b/w prints.

If you like something less modern and a bit more traditional, the Benson is the choice. Second choice would be the Heathman, third the Governor, and last would be the Hilton. But any of these would be good, so you really can't go wrong.
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Off your list, I would pick either the Benson or the Governor, in terms of location and what they look like on the outside (I've never actually been inside either of them).

Another thought, if you want one: the Portland Marriott Hotel is located on the Willamette River with direct access to the waterfront, River Place, and various shops and cafes in that area of downtown. I've never stayed there but it seems like a great location.

One more touristy suggestion for people going to the conference: check out the Portland Spirit dinner cruise boat. It's kind of expensive for dinner but you can take an early afternoon cruise without dinner and it's only $15 (last time I checked). A two-hour ride will show you Portland from the view of the Willamette, and on a nice day, it's pretty darn cool. The food isn't spectacular, which is why I wouldn't pay for dinner (unless money isn't really an issue for you), but the ride is really nice. www.portlandspirit.com.

I grew up in Portland (and will soon be moving back) so have lots of suggestions for restaurants and other things to do...but it sounds like there have been plenty of those already

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Input please...thanks...

The Hilton is a Hilton. Nice, no soul. Lots of amenities. I have stayed there (years ago) and did not find it memorable.
    The Benson is great in the style of older hotels (not that it is dumpy - it isn't - but it is not sleek if that is what you are after. It is dark wood, etc. I stayed there about a year age and loved it. It is my first choice for hotels in PDX. When Mrs. O and I go to PDX and splurge on a nice hotel, dinner, and the ballet, we stay there. It is where the artsy-with-money crowd hangs out.
    The other two I have not stayed at but know them to be very nice and on a par with the Benson.

You can't lose at any of these, really.

Off topic: Mastiff is in deep dog doo for limiting his Oregon Coast recommendation to Astoria. That would be like me omiting Oakridge, and suggesting people visit McKenzie Bridge. Come to the central coast. Actaully, Astoria is nice and they're gearing up for the Lewis and Clark bicentennial, so it could be a good time to go.

Back on topic: count me in for the laefest. I also will try to attend the conference.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Otis
    Off topic: Mastiff is in deep dog doo for limiting his Oregon Coast recommendation to Astoria. That would be like me omiting Oakridge, and suggesting people visit McKenzie Bridge. Come to the central coast. Actaully, Astoria is nice and they're gearing up for the Lewis and Clark bicentennial, so it could be a good time to go.
    Hey now... I love the coast, and you darn well know it! I was just trying to think of a quick go-to-an-early-session-and-bail trip! All of OR-101 is great... well, except this one town where the street is all ripped to shreds.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Thanks so much for all the advice, I am so excited about coming out there!! I will be there from Sept 26 - Oct 2 so we should all plan a happy hour or something...I am sure I will have plenty of free time to check out the city, most of the sessions are over at 5 and I am taking an extra day anyway.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Hey now... I love the coast, and you darn well know it! I was just trying to think of a quick go-to-an-early-session-and-bail trip! All of OR-101 is great... well, except this one town where the street is all ripped to shreds.
    And to think I was going to suggest a single malt fest in your honor.

And we're grinding out and repaving the entire damn highway through town in next few weeks. So it'll be smooth sailing for those wise enough to visit the heart of the Oregon Coast.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    And to think I was going to suggest a single malt fest in your honor.
    I am SO there...

Thanks so much for all the advice, I am so excited about coming out there!! I will be there from Sept 26 - Oct 2 so we should all plan a happy hour or something...I am sure I will have plenty of free time to check out the city, most of the sessions are over at 5 and I am taking an extra day anyway.
    What are these sessions of which you speak?
    Last edited by Tranplanner; 06 Jul 2005 at 12:58 PM.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    What are these sessions of which you speak?
    He he, I don't know how many I will be making it to...I signed up for one and thats Historic Structure Review, otherwise I am on my own the entire week. Booked my hotel at the Benson Sunday afternoon through the following Sunday, early morning...registration is complete, just need to get my airfare finished...its amazing the cost difference between airlines....Southwest is almost half what United cost...looking forward to seeing Portland...

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I'm in. Any time any place -- I'll pop over for an afternoon, or whatever.

Spent this weekend in Portland and had a blast. I stayed in the Marriot last year and had the most incredible view of Mt. Hood.

Hey Otis -- don't be bustin' on the north coast, homey. LC ain't got nuthin' on Astoria. (Actually my wife forces me to Chinook Winds all the time (and your beaches do kick some serious a$$)). So, I kid a little.....

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    How's the weather there in late Sept???

Registered
    Dec 2003
    How's the weather there in late Sept???
    Typically it is still pretty nice during the days, although the evenings get a bit chilly. The rain doesn't typically start in earnest until mid-October.

Still, you might want to bring a rain jacket just the same.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by plankton
    Hey Otis -- don't be bustin' on the north coast, homey. LC ain't got nuthin' on Astoria. (Actually my wife forces me to Chinook Winds all the time (and your beaches do kick some serious a$$)). So, I kid a little.....
    I did allow as how it would be a good time to visit Astoria. And I suppose we should point out that the governator made Kindergarten Cop there.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    And I suppose we should point out that the governator made Kindergarten Cop there.
    And lest we forget, there was that classic Ally Sheedy film with the robot (whose name escapes me at the moment but I'm sure some Cyburbian will know it) that was also set in Astoria.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Chicago in September
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 18 May 2011, 4:12 PM
  2. Toronto in September
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 02 Mar 2005, 5:44 PM
  3. Replies: 8