Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Flying to Portland, ME next weekend...

Registered
    Nov 2001

Flying to Portland, ME next weekend...

I am off to Portland,ME from the 27th thru the 1st for a weekend of drinking and debauchery...do you have debauchery in New England?? You Puritans are a militant bunch. Please tell me you have debauchery...

Where should I go? What should I avoid. Anybody in the area want to meet for a few pints?

Oh, and I will spend a day in Boston...been there a few times, so finding a place to get sauced won't be a problem (meatloaf dinner and pints at The Black Rose).
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Spend some time in the Old Port. Plenty of pubs and bars to keep you busy. Stay away from South Portland....scary traffic with the Maine Mall.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I definitely second both spending LOTs of time in the Old Port (colleges are back in session so there will quite a bit of debauchery) and staying the hell away from the Maine Mall area (unless you have to see a movie). Other recommendations:

Fort Williams/Portland Headlight in Cape Elizabeth. It's kind of tough to find, but just check out a good local map and you should be ok. It's well worth the trip.

Sebago Lake. Just head up rt. 302 to Windham (blah) and follow the signs.

Portland Public Market. It's just over a year old. It's a little touristy but still very nice. While there eat at Anthony's Italian Kitchen and say "Hi" to Mark.

The Portland Art Museum. It really more like a large gallery, but it's a cool funky space.

If I think of anything else I'll post it, but Portland is pretty small and most everything is concentrated within the Downtown/Old Port area.

Take lots of pictures and post a report when you get back.

Oh yeah, Have Fun!
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I love Portland! It seems to be going through this nice little upswing. I did have my christmas shopping in Old Port last year. So here are my recommendations:

Gritty McDuff's - a local brewpub, with their own beers
    Margarita's Mexican Restaurant - if you don't like seafood, a good Mexican place. I attempted to eat a ramikin of their hot salsa on a $15 bet and lost (and I hate losing bets)
    Ri-Ra Irish Pub - Memories of this place are vague, but they are all fun ones
    Una's - if you're feeling more classy, its a pretty nice martini bar type place

For breakfast I highly highly recommend Becky's, a diner down on the waterfront - extremely reasonable prices, lots of locals.

Have a great time!
    Kel

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Don't forget to catch Liz Borden's morning show on the radio...

Registered
    Nov 2001

Thanks...

A lot of good insight from you all. Thanks so much. I will be in Boston onFriday night, so if anyone want s to meet for shots...
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Apr 2002

Portland

I grew up in Cape Elizabeth, 5 miles from Portland, if you're still looking for suggestions. I think statler mentioned my town. If you have a car and are interested in the whole beach / lighthouse thing, take a drive there. It's really beautiful and not too hard to find. If you're staying in a hotel, just ask the conceirge.

As for bars and restaurants, the Old Port is the only good area in Portland. Some of the others already made some great suggestions, so I won't repeat them. On Exchange Street, there are two really good restaurants, Perfetto and Walter's Cafe.

Check out the Portland Public Market if you have time. I think it's a great example of a good project that's drawn some more people to a downtown area that needed a little help. Unfortunately, it hasn't made as much money as planned, but it's not sunk yet.

Have a good time.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Greenescapist

You moved from Cape Elizabeth to Boston? Someday I hope to do the reverse!
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 23 Jan 2009, 10:40 AM
  2. Amtrak, why more expensive than flying?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 15 Feb 2005, 6:05 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 02 Jan 2005, 9:09 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 21 Sep 2003, 1:42 PM
  5. Flying Naked??
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Jan 2003, 12:23 PM