Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Undergrad classes to prep for grad school?

Registered
    Sep 2005

Undergrad classes to prep for grad school?

I'm in my undergraduate studies, and I'm just wondering if any of you in grad school could recommend me certain classes to take that would prepare for grad school.

Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    grad schools seem to want basic microeconomics and statistics. this is pretty reasonable since most colleges offer these courses. beyond that it would pretty much depend on whether or not your school has any planning-related courses that might demonstrate interest in and understanding of the subject matter to grad schools. my undergrad didn't really have anything along those lines, so experience was key for me. at the same time, i wouldn't worry about trying to impress them too much with courses taken. grades and experience seem to be the more important factors.

but i would definitely take microecon and stats. they prepared me well for grad school and you might even be able to exempt out of some required courses in grad school if you take them. this is a big help because there will be a lot of courses that you'll want to squeeze in over your two years.

Quote Originally posted by Foppa
    I'm in my undergraduate studies, and I'm just wondering if any of you in grad school could recommend me certain classes to take that would prepare for grad school.

Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I'll second the stats and add a business/accounting/finance course. Not really needed in school, but invaluable in the real world.

Also it would help to know what your major currently is and what you plan on doing at grad school.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I took a class on local level politics, never too early to figure out how the local govts are all designed and working

Registered
    Apr 2005
    I began grad school this fall and my program requires both a microeconomics course and a statistics course. This was standard at most of the programs I was considering, so I'd suggest taking one or both of those.

I took a Political Economy course in undergrad that I really enjoyed, and while I got no specific skills out of it that will help me in practice, I found the course really useful in developing critical thinking skills as they apply to the urban economy, but then again I'm focusing on Economic Development in my work. Still, it might be useful to take a social science class in something that intersects with your particular interest.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Jul 2012, 4:40 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 Apr 2012, 10:44 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 10 Jan 2011, 5:27 PM
  4. Replies: 19
    Last post: 12 Feb 2006, 12:47 AM