Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Vancouver - suggestions

Registered
    Sep 2001

Vancouver - suggestions

I know we have a few people from Vancouver and the Pacific Northwest here. I have to go to Vancouver next weekend for business and have added an extra day to site see around trhe city. Any suggestions on must sees or things people here would like me to take pictures of?

My list

Trees in Stanley Park
    Ocean
    Granville Island

Might venture into the downtown east side to see what the poorest Postal Code in Canada looks like.

Also any suggestions for good restaurants would be appreciated. Not too price sensitive, but don't want to drop $150 on dinner either.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    May 2003
    I just visited in August. If you do visit the east end of downtown, try to hit up the Chinatown district which is right there and also take in the Carnegie Library that I believe is on East Hastings St. and Carrall Street. The area is swarming with homeless but I never once felt unsafe. However, I didn't want to test my luck after dark.

I would also suggest Yaletown and visiting the Davie Street neighborhood. My friend and I had a good time around there. I'm not sure where you're staying, but my friend and I were able to reach everything we wanted on foot. I'd recommend transit though for Stanley Park, it is a ways from downtown plus it's huge itself.

I don't think you'll have a hard time finding good places to eat/drink but if you want a few names, pm me.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    I'm assuming you will be downtown. What sort of things are you looking for? What type of restaurants are you looking for?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Get south of False Creek if you have the time and explore some neighbourhoods around West 10th and West 12th Avenues. Chinatown might be worth visiting, too. Be sure to stop off at English Bay (located on the downtown peninsula and near to Stanley Park). As for restauraunts, try anywhere - most places are pretty tasty. Try out the sushi, its good nearly everywhere.

Check out the Steamworks brewpub. Very tasty beers and excellent food. http://www.steamworks.com/

You might wander around a bit on your own mini architectural tour. Vancouver has quite a few Art Deco specimens of note.

If you have time to stray to the North shore, check out Lighthouse Park and/or Deep Cove.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Thanks for some of the tips.

I am staying at a hotel that looks like it is downtown (east georgia street).

As for restaurants, pretty much anything, sushi and other pacific foods sounds good. The food in Toronto is good, and has lots of asian fusion touches in it right now, so pretty much anything goes. For susih not too adventurous plus try not to eat shellfish and a few other items of seafood.

I wish I had more time to head to deep cove and the north shore for bike riding and visiting friends, but only have a day for site seeing, but have 4 days for eating.

I'll try to check out china town, the library was on the list of things to see. I've seen pictures of it.

As for what else I want to see, a good shot of the skyline and mountains would be great too.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Donk, take me with you! J'adore Vancouver! And, I want to see more of Vancouver someday.

As for suggestions, here they are:

- check out Chinatown on a Friday night to see the night market. Grab a bubble tea to soak up your experience at Chinatown. If you're going there at night, I'd recommend taking the Skytrain (the name of the LRT system in Vancouver) to the "Stadium" station so that you only have two or three blocks to walk to reach the Chinatown.

- check out Gastown and how dramatically the urban landscape changes when you walk from Gastown to Chinatown via Downtown Eastside.

- rent a bike for a ride through Stanley Park, English Bay, and False Creek.

- take a 12-minute ride on the seabus (i.e. a ferry) from the downtown Vancouver to North Vancouver so that you can have great photo of the mountains, when looking northwards, and of the skyline, when looking southwards. It's not a long journey.

- going on a bus that crosses the Lion Gates Bridge is a nice journey.

- you can go to Wreck Beach if you're in a mood of 'streaking'. It's located not too far from UBC. I can't say that I've been there, though.

As for restaurants, here are a few ideas:

- there are a few good and relatively inexpensive sushi restaurants on Granville Street, where only the buses drive along.

- Naam, an superb, hippy, and funky vegetarian restaurant located at 2724 W. Fourth Ave, close to the corner of W. Fourth Avenue and MacDonald Street. It's open 24 hours a day. Its phone number is 604-738-7151. You can easily reach there by the Number 4 bus (but check to see if it's the right number and if it goes by the restaurant as it was a few years since I was in Vancouver). Plus, the restaurant isn't too far from the Jericho Beach and the Kits Beach.

- mango bubble teas from chinatown were tastylicious!

- and get a taste of a few different coffee shops that are not found in Toronto. "Benz" pops up in my mind, but there are many others. Of course you'll find the usual Second Cups, Starbucks, and Tim Hortons.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Oh, yes - definitely the library. Beautiful building. You could start there and walk down Robson until Denman, and then hang a left and walk down Denman to English Bay. Good route.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Any suggestions on must sees or things people here would like me to take pictures of?

My list:
    Trees in Stanley Park
    Ocean
    Granville Island
    I enjoyed all of the above (especially Granville Island), plus: SeaBus to bus to Capilano Suspension Bridge, Yaletown, False Creek are south of Granville, Commercial Drive, UBC campus, and the hippie neighborhood between downtown and UBC (begins with a K).

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Good Sushi on Robson Street.

Head to the Speakeasy (if it is still there) on Granville just (South?) of Robson... ask if they remember to snappy-dressed Americans chugging pitchers of Molson about three years back. We were asking where to meet women.

Granville Park is an awesome place. As well as Gastown... wait, Gastown wasn't that great when I was there.

Grab a Vodka and Tonic in the lounge of the Royal Vancouver too.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Hey Donk,

When are you here in Vancouver?

The weather this week is supposed to be amazing... especially for September.

What you do is entirely dependent on what you like.

Outdoors: north shore (if you feel like a hike, do the Grouse Grind - the highest vertical climb in the shortest distance)

Architecture: False Creek and the New Library as previously mentioned.

Food: There are lots of good restaurants in the area too, one of my favorites is the Yaletown Brewing Company. And yes, sushi is available EVERYWHERE... along with coffee.

The UBC campus is quite nice and the Museum of Anthropology is beautiful too.

Any other questions, just PM me and I'll let you know.
    Mitchbaby: Proud to be a :canada: planner and a :canada: surfer

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Make sure when you walk along Robson and Denman: take a slight detour one or two blocks off the main drag - you'll be amazed at how it gets quiet and leafy so suddenly.

For eats, try Happa Izakaya on Robson (about 1500 block) - Japanese bar food - like nothing you've ever tried. Or, there's a million and one places along Denman, including Malaysian, African, sushi, etc. The Boathouse and Milestone's have great views.

I second the Museum of Anthropology at UBC and a bike ride along the seawall. Remember to only go counterclockwise around Stanley Park!

And check out Granville Island - you can take a little ferry over from the north side of False Creek (aka English Bay).

The funky hippie neighbourhood someone mentioned above is Kitsilano. Lots of golden retrievers wearing red bandanas.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming. I'll post pictures next week of what I saw.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Just in from the flight and boy do my arms hurt.

Shot about 400 pictures, now just to clean them and sort them.

Teasers of places I saw

Granville Island (Beer companny is just ok, sure is a dark IPA - the aquabus is cool)
    Yaletown (Great wheat beer, with a taste of banana vs the regular citrus,)
    Gastown (sorry no steamworks report)
    North Vancouver and the ferry (great soup at the terminal market)
    Stanley Park (the tree I wanted to see was too far in for teh schedule we were on - next time)
    A bit of Chinatown /Downtown East Side (Hastings)
    Roughriders game, had fun with the scalpers there, left with 5 minutes left in the game, and then it got good.
    Sushi - mmm salmon, tuna, and a few others - wasabi does wonders for the sinuses
    General downtown.
    Alleys - awesome alleys.
    Food - unfortunately, the guys I was with are not too adventurous or original for trying out places to eat.

Wish I had a biot more time by myself to go chopping (comics/clothes/books) the guys I was with would not cooperate on that.

As noted in the random thoughts thread, the candy was not too sweet nor friendly, and this is coming from TO where people are supposed to be cold..

Stupidly formatted my card and could not shoot a few dcool things, there are a few interesting underground malls spaces that I saw today.

Pictures to follow later this week in the City and Places Forum.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Hurrah! I envy you. I'm stuck on the right side of this continent until Christmas and very much miss the ocean back home.

BUT I do get to head to Montreal next week, albeit very briefly.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Well, the weather cooperated for you this weekend anyhow.
    Mitchbaby: Proud to be a :canada: planner and a :canada: surfer

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by MitchBaby
    Well, the weather cooperated for you this weekend anyhow.
    Don't get me wrong, i had a great time, and now want to come back to explore and visit at a more leisurely pace and on my schedule. Pics to follow tonight.

Boy are there alot of typos, in my original post, guess that what happens for posting at 2AM

Registered
    Sep 2001
    A selection of images have been posted in my gallery. Still sorting and trying top splice things together.

http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/show...500&ppuser=173

looks like there is a flaw with the CCD in my camera (spots are from a scratch)

I'll try to get things organized in a descriptive thread in the City's forum.

For those of you from Vancouver, please feel free to comment and provide commentary for others and myself.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello from Vancouver
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 Sep 2012, 7:20 AM
  2. New to all this, from vancouver
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Feb 2009, 9:16 AM
  3. Vancouver
    Cities and Places