Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Unified development ordinance (UDO) templates

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Somewhere between hard left and hard libertarian

Unified development ordinance (UDO) templates

I wish to begin writing a UDO for my town and want to know if someone can point out a good template to use for a framework. (i.e. what needs to be included).

Thanks in advance!
    Jesse Ventura in 2012!

"Inside every small problem is a big one trying to get government funding"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    I'm going to bump the thread, because it deserves a response. I think the title may have thrown some people off, because not everybody knows what a "UDO" is; acronyms can vary from place to place, and the term hasn't spread wide yet.

Registered
    May 1997
    APA published a template many years ago. I think the author was Michael Brough. It is ok. I am not aware of others, although I have been thinking about writing one.

UDO Model

Yes, APA published a book entitled Unified Development Ordinances about 15 years ago that included a model ordinance.

The first question is whether your state specifically allows UDOs in the enabling legislation. In PA, we are just starting an effort to get them to be authorized. In most states, a municipality only has the authority to adopt ordinances that are authorized by the state legislature. We found that most other states only have a bare bones grant of authority for a UDO, and don't tell you how to set them up.

I suggest starting with a good UDO that has been in place in your own state for a few years - at least for the admininstrative provisions. That will give you the benefit of their legal thinking and experience, and hopefully will be consistent with your own state's laws. If you can't find one in your state, look for a similar type of municipality/county in a state that has similar state laws.

The hard part is messing the zoning and subdivision procedures in a way that is still consistent with the laws of your state. Many chapters of a UDO look just like a chapter in a zoning ordinance or subdivision ordinance.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 23 May 2012, 9:22 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 31 Mar 2008, 6:01 PM
  3. PowerPoint templates
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 07 Aug 2006, 12:37 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 07 Apr 2006, 12:42 PM