Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Working from home

Registered
    Jun 2004

Working from home

I just recently pitched working from home a couple of days of the week to the folks above me on the organizational chart. To my supprise they may take me up on the offer and set it up into a pilot telecomuting project. So my question to the great throbbing brian(tm) is do you telecomute and what tips can you share on how to stay productive? do you keep the same hours on the days you work from home or they altered?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl
    I just recently pitched working from home a couple of days of the week to the folks above me on the organizational chart. To my supprise they may take me up on the offer and set it up into a pilot telecomuting project. So my question to the great throbbing brian(tm) is do you telecomute and what tips can you share on how to stay productive? do you keep the same hours on the days you work from home or they altered?
    I tried working from home. Computer files were easy to move back and forth. But paper files, and reference books, not so much. Plus sometimes we need to go in the field in a moments notice. That was very inconvienent when I was 30 miles away from the office.

And I must admit, productivity at home was not all that great, and cheating on hours was way to tempting. I decided working at home wasn't for me. I need to separate my workspace from my homespace.

I hope you have better luck then I did. I'm sure some can work at home or office just the same.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I worked from home part-time. I liked it - I could work at 4AM when I couldn't sleep. The work involved research and the writing of different publications, so most of the work was original. I had to keep some regular hours in order to talk with people who worked regular business hours.

It was tempting to put off some tasks that I wasn't really enthused about, but I met all of my deadlines. I didn't like explaining to people that if they called my number, a child might answer the phone, but all were understanding.

Once, I was interviewing an agency rep from Harrisburg over the phone, and one of my boys picked up the extension and asked for a glass of milk!

I would welcome another opportunity for that work arrangement.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I do work from home and have a direct connection to the server, email, etc, so the tools are there to be productive. The trick is to limit outside "homey" distractions. My three best tips:

1) No TV.
    2) Have a designated work area set up specifically for work purposes.
    3) Anticipate and carry enough of the paper files (plan sets, etc) to keep up with your most fluid projects.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Working from home is great, as long as your office supports it well. Meaning their IT abilities are up there and you can easily get to your files from home.

As for paper, I pretty much scan in everything and so much of what I have is electronic already. And I generally request things be emailed to me rather than faxed if it's possible. Before you're leaving for a few work days at home, scan in all the papers you'll need. With copier scanners in the workplace, it's quick and easy.

The best part about it all--working in your PJs.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I work from home right now, although with a home-based business as opposed to telecommuting. It is very tempting to allow myself to be distracted by the need to work on the house or to spend time with my girlfriend (also self-employed). What I find helpful is having a dedicated office in the house.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

so

I assume you are not in the public sector?

If you work in government, part of your job is being available to the public so I would think that a government agency would only sign on to working from home one day a week or something like that.

I'm working from home right now, trying to make yet another unreasonable deadline and see how easily I got distracted to come into here - LOL! So, even if I was in the private sector, there's no way I could work effectively at home with a messy house and 3 kids and the Internet.

I have many friends in allied professions or one-person planning firms that work from home and they love it - so I think if you are a disciplined person, it is likely a great way to go.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl
    In my last job (building GIS applications) I was able to work from home as much as I wanted, I usually did it 3-4 days a week. I would not recomend it though. Unless you are a family person and are busy taking care of kids, etc.

It can be quite isolating and can turn you into quite a lazy introverted person.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Working from home (AIB btrage)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 18 Mar 2013, 8:59 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 17 Jan 2008, 11:53 AM
  3. Working several states away from home
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 24 Aug 2007, 9:52 AM