Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new Suit

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Looking for a new Suit

I had a Suit a while back but because of an site inspection at a past job, ummm, lets just say that the back of a suit coat and construction re-bar do not mix. An upcoming wedding situation is requiring me to buy a new back suit. I would like to find something classic that I could wear for a long time.

Any tips, suggestions, ideas in trends that you would be willing to share?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    3 buttons minimum. Only button the top two. Be smoooooooooooth...

Try to find a place that has good suit prices. There is a place in Denver that sells nice suits for around $200 each. If you can swing it, get 2 suits. One dark, one light.

Instead of black, go with a dark grey. Just my opinion, I think that black suits are for funerals. (Something I don't like to attend)

Or, you're a Republican, you could go with a navy suit, white shirt and red tie. (Don't forget the Old Glory Lapel pin)

Make sure to get cuffs on the pants, if they are pleated. And try to get the pants measured before they hem them. Don't let the guy do that by just hearing your inseam length.

Now I need a new suit.. thanks for the reminder.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2005
    Yep, 2 or 3 button only. I like non pleated flat front pants, but that's just me. I agree, 1 light, 1 dark. You'll have one to wear to any occasion.

Macy's has had some really good sales this year, I'd check them out. You can alos check out Bluefly, just make sure you know what size you need before you order!
    Regrets, I've had a few; But then again, too many to mention.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Does it have to be pure black? I've seen more people going with dark charcoal over solid black...

I would suggest a three-button single breasted. The charcoal jacket, if cut correctly, can double as a sport coat over black slacks or jeans if you are headed out for a date (or for a more durable look for site inspections). A subdued pinstripe is in style, but you lose some of the flexibility with the jacket for tossing it over jeans. The three button is stylish, and is also timeless--4-button+ is a trend on the way out. If you go get something stupid like what Stewart Scott always wears on ESPN, I will be forced to cyber-slap you. Zman makes a good point that you shouldn't button the bottom button. Don't be a stiff!

On the pants: I would lean toward a flat-front non-cuffed. It is much more flattering, especially if you are in decent shape. However, you might go with both styles of pant so you end up with two suit styles. Remember this rule: flat front = no cuffs, pleated front = with cuffs.

Belt: they've started making flexible belts that have a little give in them. This is great for those of us that fall between holes so the belt is snug without cutting of circulation or looking too loose.

Shoes: split-toe is very in style right now if you are looking for new ones for the suit.

I have a Nautica suit that I am really happy with, if you are looking for suggestions on brand. I also tried a Ralph Lauren suit that was very comfortable, but was a little too pricey.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Hmmm maybe I can negotiate this idea. I am an usher in a buddy's wedding in mid October, and the other usher does not want to wear a tux, so he recommended a black suit. But I like the idea of dark gray better.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I too am suit shopping right now.

Here is what I am seeing

Go for 2 buttons, rear vent (maybe 2), flat front pants or single pleat(mostly with pinstripped suits).

Colour, go for navy vs black, much more servicable and useful.

materials - wool or wool cashmere blend - no synthetics.

Depending on when you need it, wait for sales season, and buy up a model or 2. I am looking to spend about $1000 and will be waiting until the fall/christmas sales start so I can get a $1800-2000 suit for that price. There are huge differences in quality of fabric and construction.

Also go someplace with good tailors on site so that they can alter the suit to make it fit perfectly. If you already have a tailor and know your size, check out ebay, there are some wicked deals on super high end stuff there ($5000 suits going for $750) if I knew my size better I would take the plunge and buy online. There are also some clearance sites with great deals.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    If you cannot swing two suits, get another jacket.
    I have a versatile Navy jacket that I can wear with jeans (like in the 80s) or with dockers if I need to spiff up a bit.

As for this wedding issue, I think that ushers shouldn't have a choice on whether or not to wear a tux. I'll bet he'd show up in sandals if he could... man, people baffle me. It's okay to get dressed up every once in a while (or every day, like I used to have to) That's just me though...

And if you're going with a tux, use the cumberbund. Did you ever see James Bond wearing a VEST?! I didn't think so...

Jeez, sorry MSkis... went a little crazy there...

Dark gray will work better, but if you have to get black, I'd go cheap. B/C you'll find you'll rarely wear black again.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2005
    mskis, I have gotten most of my suits at JC Penney or Burlington Coat Factory. Decent suits, latest styles and fabrics and really good prices. I don't think there is a Burlington in your neck of the woods. A suit that is suitable for your needs and frequency can be had at either place for under $200. JC Penney seems to have a never ending sale where you could even pick up 2 for the price of 1 or something like that.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'd suggest Moore's if you were in Canada. They might also be in the USA? Who knows. In any case they have a wide variety of formal, semi-formal, and casual wear in a variety of prices and styles. But most importantly their staff are absolute wizards at what they do. Further, their in-house (uhm... I forget the word. seamsperson. adjusts garments...) always seem to be these tiny indian men that have been doing alterations on suits for a century and know clothing inside and out better than anyone.

http://www.mooresthesuitpeople.com/english/moores.htm

Registered
    Mar 2005
    You want a cut that is snug and fitted, but with a hint of baggy/easy. Suddenly you look like you wear a suit always and are comfortable in it - it doesnt sound like you do often.

Two vents.

Three buttons.

Dark gray/charcoal or pinstriped black. That one comes (indirectly) down to your colouring. Have a look at your favourite shirts. Chances are they suit you. Pick a suit that you could wear with the same colours.

Nothing funky. When I bought my suit, Mr. Salesman tried to sell me an orange and red-pinstriped charcoal suit. Looked, oddly, fantastic. I couldnt have lived with it for more than a week.

No pleats in the trousers.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    As for pinstriped, one of my suits is shadowstriped - essentially pinstripes that are subdued rather than bold white. It looks quite smart. You might consider that route.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    There is a small Detroit area chain called Suit Warehouse, they have tons of suits for reasonable prices. When my buddy got married in DC just after Sept 11, I found a nice tux there for about $130. At that price, its cheaper than renting one!

I know of one in Dearborn on Michigan Avenue, but it would not surprise me if there was one closer to the zoo. You do have quite the selection, literally thousands of suits at this store, ranging from bright purple easter/pimp suits to the most conservative of pinstripes.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I really can't give style pointers - it's really up to you as an individual to decide on what style suits you best.

Your budget should dictate where you go - if this is to be your one and only suit and you have the cash, make it a good one. A really good one. No offense, but unless you're on a tight budget, I would stay away from places like Moores or Suits 'R' Us and go for a proper custom tailored suit.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    quite the selection, literally thousands of suits at this store, ranging from bright purple easter/pimp suits to the most conservative of pinstripes.
    I think Mskis was looking more for a specialty store. He has high standards with regards to personal style and I don't think just any ol' pimp suit will do. I've already pointed out a number of fine suits, but each time he's turned them down for very specific reasons....."the lapels aren't wide enough.... the feather in the hat isn't long enough.... it needs to be crimson not wine colored...."

He's very particular and overall a tough customer to please.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2003
    One word: Ascot.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I think Mskis was looking more for a specialty store. He has high standards with regards to personal style and I don't think just any ol' pimp suit will do. I've already pointed out a number of fine suits, but each time he's turned them down for very specific reasons....."the lapels aren't wide enough.... the feather in the hat isn't long enough.... it needs to be crimson not wine colored...."

He's very particular and overall a tough customer to please.
    [sarcasm]
    Hey, if it ain’t good enough for grand pimp Snoop Dog it ain’t good enough for me! Oh that reminds me… I am looking at rims for the Pimpala! Nothing better than rollin on double duces! It should be real tight once I get done!
    [/sarcasm]

Registered
    Feb 1998
    The best buy I ever made in suits was 2: one navy, one charcoal. Mix and match gave me four outfits.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Depending on when you need it, wait for sales season, and buy up a model or 2. I am looking to spend about $1000 and will be waiting until the fall/christmas sales start so I can get a $1800-2000 suit for that price. There are huge differences in quality of fabric and construction.
    I wouldn't go up to $1,000, but you can make a hell of an impression the next step down from there. I used to wear basic J.C.Penny suits. Now I've got a Joseph Abboud suit in the closet, and you really can tell the difference. Better material, better fit, and the quality really shows through. It's a mid-to-high-end suit, but not showy like an Armani.

Buy at a men's store, not a department store. Prices will be better, and the staff there will know their stuff. Find someplace that's been around for years. Local stores are generally going to be better than a Men's Wearhouse or equivalent.

Registered
    May 2003
    If you're willing to spend around $1,200 you can get a suit custom made for you at a famous place in Chicago called Fox Brothers. All their work is custom, by hand and in-shop. They measure you and then stitch together the suit based on those measurements. They're most famous for inventing the zoot suit.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    For my money, its worth spending some good cash on a good suit; a good suit in my mond should cost no less than $500; this is a suit Not to be used for everyday work but rather for special occasions and job interviews.

If you're tall and lean, then Hugo Boss suits are the way to go as they fit that type of body perfectly. I just bought one and I love it; it fits well, it feels well, and damn, it looks good when I'm wearing it.

Hope that helps.
    Mitchbaby: Proud to be a :canada: planner and a :canada: surfer

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    When buying a new suit, consider if you need new shoes too. A nice suit and old, worn-out shoes do not work.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Anyone remember when it wasn't the brand of suit that was a status symbol, but where you bought it.
    Suit shops used to measure you and make a suit, putting only the shop's name as the label. My Grandfather has a couple from a suit shop in South Bend, IN. I think it was Spiro's (a GOOD name for a barber shop or suit maker).
    Nowadays to get a custom made suit take lots of cash. Unless you are in Hong Kong, Vietnam, or elsewhere in Indochina. I think my uncle had a couple really good suit made for him while touring Thailand, likewise my grandfather in Hong Kong. These are often of great quality and end up being the very same suits you find in the expensive rack at Lord and Taylor's or Saks.

The More you Know

-Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004

Try this

Link:

http://www.sazzvintage.com/Merchant2...egory_Code=1NI

and good luck....

By the way, these things are back in style (In Russia anyway... )
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Suits are intimately connected to cars, oil, air conditioning and wars that beget the energy for us to live in such an inbalanced, unsustainable way. Suits are a great investment if you want to make more money, and keep the working class busy doing menial labor and thankless sanitation work. Nothing says "I'm too important to worry about petty cleaning jobs and anything that involves the potential for sweating", than a nice starched, gleaming white dress shirt, with bib-d*ck noose around your neck.

"Allright, that's it dobopoq, don't make me file a lawsuit against you. Everyone else is following suit, why don't you? Are you sure you're suited for that kind of work? Does it suit you well? Don't you know, you've got to conform to what the vested interested have in mind?"

Yes, it's all really quite logical. The more money you spend on your suit, the more money you are likely to make. Who cares about the poor. Let them sweat and slave to make the finery only the chosen privileged elite - deserve and can afford to wear. Who cares about practicality or comfort. You've come a long way baby. You're too important to need to sweat or do anything practical anymore. All you need to do now is look like you make a lot of money - that's what you do in a suit. That's what a suit does for you.
    Last edited by dobopoq; 28 Sep 2005 at 2:28 PM.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dobopoq
    Suits are intimately connected to cars, oil, air conditioning and wars that beget the energy for us to live in such an inbalanced, unsustainable way. Suits are a great investment if you want to make more money, and keep the working class busy doing menial labor and thankless sanitation work. Nothing says "I'm too important to worry about petty cleaning jobs and anything that involves the potential for sweating", than a nice starched, gleaming white dress shirt, with bib-d*ck noose around your neck.

"Allright, that's it dobopoq, don't make me file a lawsuit against you. Everyone else is following suit, why don't you? Are you sure you're suited for that kind of work? Does it suit you well? Don't you know, you've got to conform to what the vested interested have in mind?"

Yes, it's all really quite logical. The more money you spend on your suit, the more money you are likely to make. Who cares about the poor. Let them sweat and slave to make the finery only the chosen privileged elite - deserve and can afford to wear. Who cares about practicality or comfort. You've come a long way baby. You're too important to need to sweat or do anything practical anymore. All you need to do now is look like you make a lot of money - that's what you do in a suit. That's what a suit does for you.
    MODS: Yellowcard me if you will...

dobopoq, why do you have to ruin this thread with conversation that only partly has to do with what Michaelskis is asking. I'm sure he (and the other suit buyers/wearers) that participated in this thread appreciate your cheap shot.

What do you wear to social occasions? Or are you even invited?

-Peart

Closed thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 22
    Last post: 11 Dec 2012, 1:43 PM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last post: 09 Oct 2012, 7:58 PM
  3. Replies: 44
    Last post: 14 Jun 2011, 9:08 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Jan 2006, 6:40 AM