Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Prudence

Registered
    Dec 2001

Dear Prudence

This is the newest coupon from McDonalds..
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Last time i saw a pic-good old Prudence did not have a big backside nor do i think hes the sort to develop one-seems like a gym rat to me

YUMMY!

*goes back to reviewing her little subdivision with nasty thoughts*
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Another topic to really get my morning started of right. How in the hell can you sue a company because you are a lard ass because you ate their fat pills for breakfast lunch and dinner and never excersied a day in your life?

This is gonna be a great day, I can see it already.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    But Mike, Jenna still loves you.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Thank God for the small things in life

Registered
    Apr 2002
    How in the hell can you sue a company...
    Because it worked against tobacco, is being tried against firearms, etc. The reason: too many shysters and not enough ambulances for them all to chase.
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    Last time i saw a pic-good old Prudence did not have a big backside nor do i think hes the sort to develop one-seems like a gym rat to me

YUMMY!

*goes back to reviewing her little subdivision with nasty thoughts*

PG - Thanks for the nice words. I do not eat at McDonalds and only occassionaly do I eat fast food. I will admit I am fearful of becoming larger, especially around the middle...I admit that I am somewhat vain, or concerned about my appearance. There will be no posts of my arse (to the relief of many)...

I will agree with many of the posts...how is it a company's fault for an individuals lack of restraint?? People have a choice: consume or do not consume. We NEED tort reform. And it is not the government's responsibility to regulate the nutritional value of fast food.

My family owns a regional ice cream company named Cedar Crest. I was raised on ice cream. It was nothing to eat a 1/2 gallon in a sitting. I have consumed more ice cream than I care to admit. But I have always led a very active life...I am 6'2" in height and weigh 190 lbs. If I get fat it is definitely my fault for letting it happen. It is all about accountabililty...

People become obese overnight. It doesn't sneak up on you. If you are standing in front of a full length mirror amd you don't fit, there is propably a cornern. Changes are ABSOLUTELY necessary. If you don't try to stay somewhat fit and healthy, you are being selfish. Think of your family and friends...a man should want to stay attractive for his wife/girlfriend, and a woman should want to stay attractive for her man. I am not saying to be fit for society's sake, but for the person they love... People should not risk dying before their "time." Think of your children who may have to live without you...

I am going to catch hell for this post...

Now if you don't mind I have to find some land to develop into a subdivision in VA...
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by prudence
    ...I am 6'2" in height and weigh 190 lbs.
    hubba hubba..

but seriously, I posted this because you (Prudence) were asking about the Krispy Kremes. I find that the "accountability" argument is just that; when Southwest Airlines restarted the "pay for two seats" program for those people that needed two seats, I cheered. I do recognize that there are medical problems, but I don't think the US on a whole has a medical problem that makes us the fattest in the world, we have an eating problem. I know that regardless that people I'm close to will love me regardless of my size, I enjoy going to the gym because not only do I feel better mentally, I know that the commitment to sweating through an hour at the gym is going to add that many more years to my life.. considering how much alcohol I consumed during college, I hope this pretty much evens the score with all of those pesky "free-radicals".

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by TexasPlanner

I know that the commitment to sweating through an hour at the gym is going to add that many more years to my life.. considering how much alcohol I consumed during college, I hope this pretty much evens the score with all of those pesky "free-radicals".
    Tex, I really couldn't have said that any better!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I just wish more people in our country would devote more time to excercise. Studies have shown that just by elevating your heart rate for 20-30 minutes a day you will receive numerous helth benefits. I know for me it just feels good being healthy and in shape. People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I ride my bike for 100 miles at a time.

Heart disease and stroke run in my family, and I am committed to being the first one it doesn't effect. I can't even tell you the last time I saw the inside of a McDonalds. I won't eat the stuff, or any other fast food for that matter. I just can't believe how some people live of the extra value meals "Biggie Sized" (with a Diet Coke).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2002
    Amen! On the rare occasions that I do go to McDonalds, I order a Happy Meal. I'm mortified that a "medium" soda at most fast food places are roughly a quart. However, as evil as I find these companies, they are responding to the market that wants a trough of fries for a buck.

I used to work with a 400 lb. woman who used to always whine about her "handicap" while eating something fatty & nutritionally void. She had bad knees from carrying around all of the weight. Sad, but come on! As Prudence stated, she didn't get like that overnight.

It's about making the right choices, and as planners, we need to do what we can to encourage healthier lifestyles through more pedestrian friendly development patterns.

Stepping off soapbox...

Registered
    Aug 2001

PG - Thanks for the nice words. I do not eat at McDonalds ...

[/B]
    MODERATORS NOTE: Prudence does not eat at McDonalds becasue he has a personality conflict with the local franchise operator (we'll call him "Martin"), and at the moment has been citing the guy $200 a day for the past six months becasue Martin installed an illegal reader board, and an intercom ordering system (our Plan Commission required face-to-face ordering). Martin and Prudence get to meet for another love fest at next week's pretail hearings....

I'm proud to say that I haven't even stepped foot in a MaccyD's in over 3 years. A result of severe ..umm.. intestinal trouble within 30 minutes of eating (in a supermarket of all the embarrassing places to get 'ill') which lead to me spending about 3 hours in the bath (much to my flatmates' annoyance) muttering something along the lines of "I don't feel pretty anymore" / "Unclean! Unclean!". I refuse to go to KFC as well since I found enough bones to make up a whole chicken skeleton with spare parts. Eew!
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I have gone to McDonalds, but only for those fruit and yogurt cups they have now, and only in a real pinch, but otherwise we're cutting out fast food at our house.. except the occasional trip to Hooter's. I just can't say no to Hooter's (and I can't even eat there wings from a certain incident with wings+5 pitchers+rumplemintz=very bad night).

Registered
    Oct 2000
    My impoverished little brother called me from LA last week to tell me he's discovered the most fabulous new weight loss scheme - its called poverty. His paycheck covers his rent and car payment and that's about it, so he's had to cut out all of his drive through trips through the In and Out. He figures he's dropped 15 pounds on his poverty diet. Granted, I'm pretty sure he didn't have 15 to lose in the first place, but that's besides the point.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Oh I did that! When I was in school I was so out of time (18 hours of school + 30-35 hours of work) all I ate was balance bars, apples, carrots, and a few other really easy cheap things. Now that I actually make a livable salary I can't stomach balance bars.. bad memories of speeding down I35 to get home from San Marcos.. ick!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Prudence, better get here fast-land is running out
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Originally posted by TexasPlanner
    .. except the occasional trip to Hooter's. I just can't say no to Hooter's (and I can't even eat there wings from a certain incident with wings+5 pitchers+rumplemintz=very bad night).
    I have never set foot in Hooter's despite the accolades about their wings. When a "Peter's" opens up, I'll be the first one in line.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Oct 2000

Death to Hooters Girls

Originally posted by Planderella

I have never set foot in Hooter's despite the accolades about their wings. When a "Peter's" opens up, I'll be the first one in line.
    I've also never visited Hooters, especially after being treated to a display of their waitresses inanity at a local balloon launching event that involved half naked frolicking. I cringe every time I walk by the Hooters in our mall and I see little kids eating in there. Granted, as a former waitress, I fully acknowldege that flirting and personality whoring are an integral part to waiting tables in any establishment, and I fully support a woman's decision and right to degrade and debase themselves in the name of commerce, because there is no doubt they are among the highest paid waitresses, but I still have the right to slightly hate them.

*end grumble*

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I love hooters, and Hooters for that matter. I love the wings too, they usually have Guiness on tap (rare in Iowa). I don't mind taking the family either, I see women running around town with less clothing that the Hooters girls.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    On a planning-related note ...

The residents of this town are begging for a quality sit down restaurant. The only decent sit-down restaurants nearby are way out in Clermont, or way in in Ocoee. The "town next door" has a few greasy spoons and a decent Mexican restaurant, but that's it -- no "date places."

Unfortunately, the demographics here don't support quality dining yet. Most quality chains want to be near employment centers, so they can get heavy lunch traffic as well as the dinner and late night crowd. There's the income, traffic and the population, but not the daytime employment ... except construction workers, construction tradespeople, and dump truck drivers. About a third of the 50,000 vehicles that travel SR 50 through town each day are diesel powered. Those folks don't eat at Applebee's or Chili's ... they take their Nextels to the lunch-only greasy spoons in "the town next door."

However, there is one quality sit-down restaurant that appeals to the blue collar, working-class, Southern culturally-oriented crowd who pilot heavy trucks through town all morning and afternoon. Its part of a chain that has no presence in Orlando's western suburbs. That place is Hooters. I'd welcome it with open arms, because it would be a foot in the door for other sit-down restaurants. I don't think the Planning and Zoning Board would be too keen on the idea, though.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Originally posted by Mike DeVuono
    I just can't believe how some people live of the extra value meals "Biggie Sized" (with a Diet Coke).

That made me laugh out loud. It is so true about the Diet Coke; it's only one calorie...

It is refreshing to hear people recognize / agree that there is a problem with society (besides weight gain) accepting responsibility for their actions.

And while alcohol may kill brain cells, it only kills the weak ones...

Registered
    Oct 2000

It is refreshing to hear people recognize / agree that there is a problem with society (besides weight gain) accepting responsibility for their actions.

I one hundred percent agree, Prudence. The McD's hot coffee lawsuit, the tobacco suits, the fat guy v. KFC, all make everyone crazy, I think. But it only takes one wacko judge to allow these things to court, unfortunatly. Where was the incident where 4 kids set their school on fire, burned half of it down and were expelled after they were caught. The parents of one of the kids sucessfully sued the school for damaging thier child's self esteem by expelling him. WTF????

Registered
    Nov 2001

Re: Death to Hooters Girls

Originally posted by KMateja

I've also never visited Hooters, especially after being treated to a display of their waitresses inanity at a local balloon launching event that involved half naked frolicking. I cringe every time I walk by the Hooters in our mall and I see little kids eating in there. Granted, as a former waitress, I fully acknowldege that flirting and personality whoring are an integral part to waiting tables in any establishment, and I fully support a woman's decision and right to degrade and debase themselves in the name of commerce, because there is no doubt they are among the highest paid waitresses, but I still have the right to slightly hate them.

*end grumble*
    My old college roommate is the GM for Hooter's in Seattle. He was the GM in the Wisconsin/Michigan territory. I did spend a lot of time there...loved to hang out eating oysters on the half-shell with buckets of ice cold beer...and since he wasn't allowed to fraternize with the waitresses....

Hooter's will ALWAYS have a place in my heart.

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Originally posted by KMateja

Where was the incident where 4 kids set their school on fire, burned half of it down and were expelled after they were caught. The parents of one of the kids sucessfully sued the school for damaging thier child's self esteem by expelling him. WTF????
    PLease send me the article...that is astounding!!! When I was growing up it was MY fault for not learning / succeeding, never the teachers.

This country needs TORT REFORM.

Do parents spank their children anymore? I had a number of losing battles with the wooden spoon / belt / and back of the hairbrush. My mother (the disciplinarian) wasn't brutal. I wasn't maimed / accosted / or traumatized. I was held accountable for my actions. And a red arse sometimes was necessary.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Happy Birthday prudence
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 24 Sep 2007, 12:23 PM
  2. Happy Birthday, Prudence
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 23 Sep 2002, 9:58 AM