Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What is destination retail?

Registered
    May 2005

What is destination retail?

the city I work for is working on some urban design issues and we are defining uses and the differences between Primary and Secondary retail uses. This is what we have come up with:

1. Retail – Retail is an inclusive phrase covering a wide range of possibilities. In particular, it may include consumer goods (general merchandise, apparel, furnishings, etc.), personal business services, professional offices, restaurants, grocery stores, hotel, theater, etc. To clarify slightly without overly regulating for specific uses, retail may be classified into primary and secondary categories, whereby designated staff may determine whether future unspecified uses fall into either category.

a. Primary retail uses – These retail uses often provide entertainment or leisure activities, promote high walk-in customer counts, or are shopping destinations.

b. Secondary Retail uses – These retail uses provide personal or business services (i.e. “destination retail”).

The main disagreement in the office is over how both primary and secondary retail can be destination retail. So what would you say is destination retail? An anchor tenant or specialized retailer. Examples will help.

Thanks for the help
    "A man is what he does in his dreams." ~Camilla Sacci

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I dont agree with your definitions.

IKEA is a definite destination retailer.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005

Something worth travveling to that is distinctive

I'd put Bass Pro Shops and Maybe Cabelas in here as well

Registered
    Sep 2005
    In downtown revitalization work I've done, we have used the term destination retail to refer to a particular store that attracts people regardless of the location, as opposed to a business that relies on convenience of location for its customers. Those listed above certainly qualify as destination retail, as would a large specialty supermarket (eg, Whole Foods). Of course, destination retail doesn't have to be a chain...

Registered
    Mar 2004
    How about outlet malls? Are those considered destination retail?

Registered
    Mar 2004

or....

How about the Yankee Candle Company retail store in Pumpkin Nuts Massachusetts......that has to rank up there with Cabelas in Tater Falls Nebraska My wife made me drive 5 hours to see it on a recent trip to NE, now that's destination retail

I don't think a destination retail store has to be "unique" at all, it could just as well be a large REI store or some retail use that gets a huge amount of visitors. The amount of people visiting the store is the key. The key to any destination retail is its size. I've never heard of a small mom and pop shop, no matter how cool or unique being "destination" retail. Also, once a mall or power center enters the picture, the whole site becomes a destination retail center regardless of how many "unique" stores might be in the cluster.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    The Container Store is a good one. They've only got like 30 spread across the U.S.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2003
    Retail classes like neighborhood, sub-regional, regional, and super regional usually define the "normal" market area for a particular use. I don't have any recent information on what is the normal market area, but it is probably something like 10,000 for a neighborhood, 50,000 for a sub regional, 250,000 for regional, and 1+ million for super regional. (California market estimates)

Destination commercial usually relates to commercial that attracts visitors (tourists) - or people from beyond the normal retail area. It is a special class where the community assets or unique retail will attract from an uncharacteristically large area.

So the question is whether people drive from their houses to retail as a "normal" shopping trip or whether they are attracted from beyond a normal retail trade area to visit the retail shops in your community. Tourists put the "destination" in destination commercial.

Ikea could potentially act like a "destination" use because it probably requires a trade area of 1-10 million people, but it is really a super-regional business.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    How about
    REI outside of CA, OR, WA, and CO ?
    Trader Joe's also outside of CA ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    How about
    REI outside of CA, OR, WA, and CO ?
    Trader Joe's also outside of CA ?
    Trader Joe's is a good one...although it's growing quite rapidly.

Another one I just thought of is...Crate & Barrel outside of Chicago.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have always described destination retail as "anchor uses," which might include retail or services or entertainment. You might be better off using a classification of neighborhood, community, and regional retail. This is somewhat more common in the industry, and often describes the drawing power of a store or a district pretty well.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    How about outlet malls? Are those considered destination retail?
    Yes, lots of people travel hours to shop at outlet centers. These centers are often located far away from other attractions, so clearly the trip destination is the outlet center. No other retailing format is as destination retail as an outlet center featuring fashion brands.

The whole New York area is destination retail for foreigners. Have a look at this article.

http://www.irishabroad.com/news/iris...shshoppers.asp

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    BUMP

A luxury destination
    The lure of the Fashion Mall now extends way beyond the metro area

Headline and Article from the Indianapolis Star, Sunday October 9, 2005
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...510090345/1003

They drive from Illinois, Kentucky and Ohio to spend the day splurging at Saks Fifth Avenue and other glitzy stores in Indianapolis.

"We are trying to differentiate the mall by putting unique, luxury stores that people would drive two hours to get to," explained Lea Willingham, the mall's general manager.

The mall's new offerings already have curbed Janet Brothers' daylong shopping trips to Chicago and Troy, Mich.
    Oddball

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Stores/chains that are new to an area and have cachet will be destination retail until the novely wears off. Stores like those mentioned above, REI, Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods, etc. Even the 1st Starbucks in an area will draw huge crowds of latte-hungry hordes until the 2nd, 3rd, and 15th Starbucks open. So even though those are ordinary neighborhood or regional retail uses (grocery store, sports/camping store, cafe), they're going to have a higher demand for parking and the traffic impact is going to be higher, for a while, anyway, than their more ordinary counterparts. JNA's example of the Fashion Mall in Indy is a good one. It's just a shopping mall, but parking on the weekends is difficult at best, because even though it's just clothes and all the usual mall junk, it's fancy mall junk.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Don't forget Ikea - but also how about any unique movie theaters?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by teshadoh
    but also how about any unique movie theaters?
    Would IMAX count as an example of this ?
    Oddball

Dave and Busters - the restaurant where half of it is dedicated toward video games and a sports Bar. Here in Lorain, OH it draws from up to 100 miles away. Hours are typically spent there.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Aug 2001

jinx you!

that is weird, I just did a search for cabelas and saw this thread to use in my new thread, and here it is bumped?!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I say any of your specialty electronics stores as well...not a Best Buy, but more of the high-end stuff?

Any store that can get away with 1 ever 20 miles or so in the radius.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    [QUOTE=The One;256866]How about the Yankee Candle Company retail store in Pumpkin Nuts Massachusetts......that has to rank up there with Cabelas in Tater Falls Nebraska My wife made me drive 5 hours to see it on a recent trip to NE, now that's destination retail QUOTE]

I am from Nebraska. I should make a visit over to Tater Falls. It must be west.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Jun 2012, 12:47 PM
  2. Destination retail development examples
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 09 Jun 2010, 1:11 AM
  3. Tax incentives for destination retail?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 23 Oct 2009, 6:42 AM
  4. Destination: VT
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 07 Dec 2008, 11:04 AM