Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Colorado - Denver

Registered
    Sep 2005

Colorado - Denver

Does anyone know if CU-Denver is a more policy driven or hands on type program for the Masters of Urban and Regional Planning.

Also, any of your thoughts on their department as a whole would be helpful.

Thank you.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I have only thought about the program and driven past the campus a number of times. Be patient, there are a couple of UCD Alums on the Throbbing Brain that love to talk...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    When I went there -
    - they were strong supporters of internships;
    - the studio classes were client driven with deliverable products; and
    - strong adjucnt faculty - specifically in Law;
    so I would say hands on.

For me the effort and experience was worthwhile.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    Cu-Denver is not really policy based, but the school has a dual degree program with the school of public Admin, if policy is what you are after. I graduated From CU-Denver a year ago and I think it was a very good program that provided a number of options: including Public Admin., historic preservation cert., Urban Design cert., and GIS cert. I would echo what JNA said, "every class taught by a lawyer is great (Planning Law, Growth Management, etc.) " and not just because of their end of the semester parties. Denver is a great city with a number planning firms, good planning projects and examples in the area, and just a great location right downtown. Any other questions let me know. Good luck!

Go Buffs!
    "A man is what he does in his dreams." ~Camilla Sacci

Registered
    Mar 2004

Agree

The University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center or UCDHSC as it is now known.. http://www.ucdhsc.edu/ ...PHEEW....say that five times fast..... is more of a hands on program. The internships and adjunct faculty are two very strong parts of the program. Economic, Physical/Historic and Environmental Planning are strong (Great adjunct faculty teaching law classes related to environmental and general planning). The Real Estate emphasis should be considered a decent option because of the adjunct faculty. Transportation and Policy are not as strong....but that's just my take and I've been out for a few years now. Oh and no significant social planning since Bernie Jones left
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DCBuff
    I would echo what JNA said, "every class taught by a lawyer is great (Planning Law, Growth Management, etc.) " and not just because of their end of the semester parties.
    So funny you say that... those lawyer-taught planning classes (specifically growth management and the end-of-year party) sent me to law school

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Colorado-Denver MURP
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Mar 2012, 11:08 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Aug 2009, 12:46 PM
  3. Denver, Colorado: Berkeley
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 Jun 2009, 11:48 AM