Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Counting Park Users

Registered
    Jul 2002

Counting Park Users

Not sure this is the right Forum. Mods move is necessary.

I am looking for input on communities that have done park user surveys. I am aware of many different methods of identifying the information on the number of park users incuding: intercept survey in the park, mailed or phone surveys asking about park useage, of simple observations and counters.

What I am looking of is some actual input on what you are doing, considering doing, or have done to count park users.

What are you experiences? What has worked and not worked for you and/or your community?

I know this is a very expensive thing for a community to do these days but if you community has an accurate count on park users you can translate that info into some very valueable data.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Registered
    May 1997
    I have counted trail users. You post an intern or volunteer at one spot and they count everyone who passes.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Depends on the type of park but you could use traffic counters to figure volume. i did this not too long ago. we then went at various times of the day and count people per vehicles and came up with an average. We collected a month or two of traffic data and to get a day to day average, Monday, tuesday, and so on. and multiply that by vehicles per day. In our case it was all drive up traffic, well for the most part.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Transit O-D counting methodologies
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Jan 2011, 2:34 PM
  2. Counting the days....
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 Jun 2006, 1:47 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2006, 10:27 AM