Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: War on Banality

Registered
    Feb 2004

War on Banality

[Websters Dictionary]Banal: dull or stale as because of overuse; trite; hackneyed; commonplace - SYN. insipid.[/Websters Dictionary]

If there can be a war on drugs or a war on poverty, it's pretty obvious we are WAY overdue for a war on banality.

True story - It's a Monday morning a contractor walks into my cubicle bearing a Garfield "I hate Mondays" coffee mug and says, "Ya workin' hard or hardly workin'?" He then attempts to strike up a conversation about the Detroit Lions game the past weekend. Sensing a chilly reception he departs but not before saying "Well, give it a 110%, but don't work too hard". All this preformulated crap in under 60 seconds.

Phwew! Good thing I left the carbine at home. I am now recruiting 500 able bodied planners to join forces in the war on banality. Volunteers must be willing to attend corporate motivational speeches and public hearings. Applicants must able to detect developers using the phrase "best and highest use" at 500 metres and be able to strip a college jersey (from someone who did not attend) in under 2 seconds.

I gladly accept anyone's suggestions on how best to launch our first offensive.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmmmm.....

Quote Originally posted by Maister
    [Websters Dictionary]Banal: dull or stale as because of overuse; trite; hackneyed; commonplace - SYN. insipid.[/Websters Dictionary]

If there can be a war on drugs or a war on poverty, it's pretty obvious we are WAY overdue for a war on banality.

True story - It's a Monday morning a contractor walks into my cubicle bearing a Garfield "I hate Mondays" coffee mug and says, "Ya workin' hard or hardly workin'?" He then attempts to strike up a conversation about the Detroit Lions game the past weekend. Sensing a chilly reception he departs but not before saying "Well, give it a 110%, but don't work too hard". All this preformulated crap in under 60 seconds.

Phwew! Good thing I left the carbine at home. I am now recruiting 500 able bodied planners to join forces in the war on banality. Volunteers must be willing to attend corporate motivational speeches and public hearings. Applicants must able to detect developers using the phrase "best and highest use" at 500 metres and be able to strip a college jersey (from someone who did not attend) in under 2 seconds.

I gladly accept anyone's suggestions on how best to launch our first offensive.
    How about that weather.....nice isn't it?

You been loosing weight?

You got a case of the Monday's?

Which do you prefer? Milk Chocolate or Dark Chocolate?

“The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    May 2003
    Boy this elevator is making a lot of stops, it must be the local.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Which do you prefer? Milk Chocolate or Dark Chocolate?
    Yeah, well Mskis ran the noontime question by me today for pre-approval and I think most folks will like it when they see it. It's got some substance and betrays no inherently conservative value systems or paradigms.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Our First Offensive ...

... must be one of these two: bad planning or urban sprawl.

Bad planning, as in: The traffic out by the [insert big box name here] is terrible. It's just another example of bad planning.

Urban sprawl, as in: More 10-acre minimum housing tracts are just one more example of urban sprawl.

Let's see -- bad planning would have been to approve the big box at the end of your cul-de-sac farkface.

How many 10-acre residential tracts have you seen in, say, Manhattan? Or Manhattan, Kansas?

Fehhhhh!
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Oct 2001
    How can we as planners-especially those working in the "National Automotive Slums" suburbs, engage in a "War on Banality"?

We are the VANGUARD OF BANALITY!!!

Our profession expedites the remorseless, never-ending spread of banality throughout the built environment!

NEIN! That subdivision shall only be PERMITTED in a beige and eathtone color scheme! With market tested hackneyed traditional facades (three unique facades per 200 unit subdivision)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Spin around and ask them what are their thoughts are on social unjust and discrimination in the corporate workplace setting.

Or

Ask in as angry voice as possible. “Do you find it unfair and in today’s world it is frowned on for a man to wear a kilt?”… he will walk away.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    May 2003
    Hey that's a nice suit you've got on, mskis.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Once we have established Gedunker's beachhead, we shall push further into the front by only speaking in Shakespearean english and wear caps with built-in radios for our listening pleasure.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Hey that's a nice suit you've got on, mskis.
    Thanks... that is a nice hat that your wearing jordanb
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2005
    Carry an Alum Baseball Bat everywhere you go.... I find this cuts down on the idle chit-chat. If that does not work, throw in the kilt thing.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Question: Can we begin the War on Banality by eliminating banal threads here on Cyburbia?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    What about the bland Planner's uniform ?

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    Question: Can we begin the War on Banality by eliminating banal threads here on Cyburbia?
    I vote that all "neverending" threads along with the "Random Thoughts" thread and all personal annoucements be stricken from the forum.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    What about the bland Planner's uniform ?
    There's a reason why "blueshirts" is part ofthe Cyburbia vernacular.

Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    I vote that all "neverending" threads along with the "Random Thoughts" thread and all personal annoucements be stricken from the forum.
    But then ... that would be 95% of the messages in the FAC!

Traffic in planning-related subforums jumped when the FAC was added in 2001. IMHO, if the FAC was dropped, we'd lose far more members than the blueshirts that would sign up. Off-topic areas serve as the glue that holds together most message boards, and there's no way we'll discourage "useless" posts*, even if it means we'd gain some blueshirt members who would include ", AICP" in their usernames.

Seriously, it was a strange trend I noticed while I was digging up pre-Bulletin messages to eventually merge into the current Forums. Before the FAC, many used a name like "[username], AICP." When vBulletin went online, and the FAC added to the list of groups, those with AICP-suffixed usernames disappeared. One once-prolific "comma AICP" user wrote to tell me that with the addition of the FAC, the Forums were no longer serious enough for him. "Oh my God! There's a subforum where planners are talking about beer and bad dates! Eeeeek! Run for the listservs! SUBSCRIBE DULLPLANNINGLIST Must ... keep ... blue ... shirt ... pure!" Check out the occasional comment in the PLANetizen Katrina area, though, and you'll still see people posting with "AICP" in their names.

Yeah, there's hundreds of users here that are AICP, myself included. However, those that wear the certification on their sleeve aren fairly rare here.

* Outside of post padding, of course.

/rant.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I think a war on banality would include starting small talk about extremely personal things with strangers like explicit bedroom, bathroom or hospital room talk.

I need to start golfing to keep up with the idle banter. I need to contribute to conversations about nine-irons, bogies and how "if I could only get away from the ol' lady to play a few holes I'd be a happy man."

Registered
    Dec 2003
    You need them music for your war. I suggest playing Stevie Wonder's "Sir Duke" or Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" over the P.A. as you and your planning board enter a meeting. At the very least, you'll have some very confused applicants.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Well I never.....

Quote Originally posted by Dan
    There's a reason why "blueshirts" is part ofthe Cyburbia vernacular.

But then ... that would be 95% of the messages in the FAC!

Traffic in planning-related subforums jumped when the FAC was added in 2001. IMHO, if the FAC was dropped, we'd lose far more members than the blueshirts that would sign up. Off-topic areas serve as the glue that holds together most message boards, and there's no way we'll discourage "useless" posts*, even if it means we'd gain some blueshirt members who would include ", AICP" in their usernames.

Seriously, it was a strange trend I noticed while I was digging up pre-Bulletin messages to eventually merge into the current Forums. Before the FAC, many used a name like "[username], AICP." When vBulletin went online, and the FAC added to the list of groups, those with AICP-suffixed usernames disappeared. One once-prolific "comma AICP" user wrote to tell me that with the addition of the FAC, the Forums were no longer serious enough for him. "Oh my God! There's a subforum where planners are talking about beer and bad dates! Eeeeek! Run for the listservs! SUBSCRIBE DULLPLANNINGLIST Must ... keep ... blue ... shirt ... pure!" Check out the occasional comment in the PLANetizen Katrina area, though, and you'll still see people posting with "AICP" in their names.

Yeah, there's hundreds of users here that are AICP, myself included. However, those that wear the certification on their sleeve aren fairly rare here.

* Outside of post padding, of course.

/rant.
    Those subforums are what I live for....

THE ONE, AICP
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    But then ... that would be 95% of the messages in the FAC! .
    I would argue that banal or insipid posts constitute considerably less than 95% of the FAC. Read the definition of banal again. I think everyone will agree that 'inane' is not the same thing as 'banal'. They's good people in the FAC. Don' be shuttin' 'em down.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Thanks... that is a nice hat that your wearing jordanb
    Thanks. I wear it to oppress myself.

+ Reply to thread