Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Need Help Mapping

Registered
    Aug 2001

Need Help Mapping

I have some great data for all of the counties in ten states. I would love to map it, but I have software issues. I only have ArcExplorer, which does not allow the user to append data to a table. If I open the database in Excel or Access to make the changes, saving it removes the association with the shapefile so that the table is unavailable. I have an alternative of shading a map of US counties using Corel or Illustrator. In fact, I would prefer to do this, but I do not have a map of US counties in the correct format. A gif, jpg, tiff, or any other bitmap will not work, as it does not allow me to select and shade individual counties. So here are my thoughts:

1. Is there a shareware utility that would allow me to create the data file in Excel and import it to associate it with the Arc shapefile?

or

2. Is there a shareware GIS with US county geography that will allow me to create a data table to display my information?

or

3. Is there a Corel or Illustrator file of the US with counties?

or

4. Does the Throbbing Brain have any other ideas for me?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Can you save the file as a mindows meta file (*.wmf)? In some programs it sends the shapes out as individual regions that you can subsequently solid fill easily in various programs.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jun 2004
    the US by county for AI/coreldraw should not be too difficult to come by. If some one has the ESRI data there is the us by county. In ArcView you can display the data and export it in to *.AI file. I haven't had too much luck with text but polygons/lines/points do okay.

EDIT

I missed Donk's reply. In addition to *.AI files you can do *.WMF files as well

Registered
    Aug 2001
    One step ahead of you. I forgot to mention that I did try the wmf format without success.

I am usine a demo version of MapViewer right now. It has the save, print, and export features disabled, but I can do a screen capture to a gif file. If the program looks good, I may even buy it.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Contact esri and they will send you a trial version at no cost. Of course, it is only good for 30 or 60 days, so any type of editing after that would be unpossible.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yes...

Quote Originally posted by cololi
    Contact esri and they will send you a trial version at no cost. Of course, it is only good for 30 or 60 days, so any type of editing after that would be unpossible.
    This is it, get the trial version of ArcMap. Download the US Census data into .dbf files via excel worksheets and import into Arc.....then you can map all states by county for anything you want.....will look cool......I did this with Florida recently and it was fun to keep some of my Arc skills up to date
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 19 Jun 2013, 9:49 AM
  2. Technology Mapping blunders
    Information Technology
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 26 Nov 2012, 5:31 PM
  3. Mapping project: help requested
    Information Technology
    Replies: 3