Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ford Excursion is no more

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ford Excursion is no more

I just heard on the radio that Ford is rolling the last Ford Excursion off the assembly line today! I guess the 44 gallon fuel tank ($120 FILL UP ) is now too much for the market to handle So, now that this dinosaur is gone, what needs to go next? The Hummer H1, H2, H3? Monster Trucks? I'm always amazed at the number of MONSTER trucks I see here in South Florida, you know the type, the F-350's jacked up to about three feet above asphalt with tires as big as a person
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Good riddance, which will be the next to go? I think GM is sinking way too much into Hummer these Days to pull the plug, or is that just what I see from my obviously biased point of view?

My guess is that we will go back to the future (1980s), when cars had a little less power but got much better gas milage. A Toyota Corrola these days gets much wose gas milage than one of the 80's, but it has lots of horsepower to operate nifty features. The same is true of the Taurus. V-8 equipped cars will drop down to straight sixes or V-6's, and V-sixes will drop down to I-4's.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    The new Chevy Impala that is either a V-6 or V-8 does get a hefty 28 miles highway. So it is nice to see a full size car that is getting better milage.

I am glad to see the huge vehicles going. They are just so massive and not truly needed by most drivers who drive them.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    The new Chevy Impala that is either a V-6 or V-8 does get a hefty 28 miles highway. So it is nice to see a full size car that is getting better milage.

I am glad to see the huge vehicles going. They are just so massive and not truly needed by most drivers who drive them.
    Yeah but look at that compared to the similar sized Lumina Sedans that probably got 33 on the highway. My Dad's 1988 Bonneville would get 35 on the highway but his 1994 only gets about 29.

I was by the GM display last month while car shopping, I noticed that the Corvettes get awsome gas milage (too bad they are tiny and cost $60k!). In contrast the Hummers would not even show their EPA averages *exempt* due to weight.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Geez what are they going to use in Presidential convoys now?! And in Presidential convoys in the movies?!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    Geez what are they going to use in Presidential convoys now?! And in Presidential convoys in the movies?!
    ISTR that the Secret Service tends to prefer GMC/Chevy Suburbans (which have been produced since the 1930s) and heavily modified Cadillacs.

Ford offered the Excursion as an attempt to compete against the Suburban (Suburbans are still bigger than Excursions), but failed.

Mike

Registered
    Jan 2005
    *shrug* I bow to you. I just assumed they were Excursions. They all look like tanks to me, I can't tell the difference.

Registered
    May 2005
    If I were a millionaire, I’d have 10 of them! Really. May be not, I don’t like Ford. 10 Big Dodge Trucks for me

Bill

“Great Odin's raven!”

Ron Burgundy

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Meh, as if any of the domestic automakers are really any better than one another. They all suck more or less equally when it comes to reliability and resale value. What happens when all these vehicles sold at employee discounts come in for their dozens of warranty items? I can't see that being good for the bottom line. That four grand or so the consumer saves used to cover the cost of a lot of the inevitable things that would go wrong with the damned things, but now that money isn't in the bank. Could get dicey.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I don't know. Buick and Cadillac are actually better in reliability stats now then many makes, especially the vaunted, over-complicated, over-engineered German cars (A Passat owner moaned to me the other day "beautiful car but a piece of junk. Nothing but major problems.)

As much as I love Subaru, my Ford did not have anything like this list:

1. Air Conditioning system "exploded" ($2,000)
    2. The dashboard gauge plastic shield is designed so that condensation and dust get behind the surface, so you can't clean it without taking it completely apart.
    3. The floormat hook was poorly designed so that it failed to hook the mats, which continuously bunched up. It then broke.
    4. Meanwhile, the durability of the floor carpeting is questionable-it's worn through, the first time this has ever happened to me.
    5. Recalls have included the seat positioning system not holding the seat during a collision.
    6. This just in: the three screws holding the door closing mechanism somehow worked their way loose. I kept getting door open indicator light even though the door was "closed." Again, this never happened with my Ford (or my Honda product, for that matter.)

The real problem is American cars lack panache, sex appeal, style. This may be changing-I prefer the Chrysler 300 0over any of the "50-year-old-German-Banker-in -a-provincial-town" Mercedes designs.

Of course, given the horrors that widespread car ownership create, if I were true to my principles , I would get rid of the car and live in a more urban/town environment.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Oh well. Just as long as the Ford F-series is alive and well...I'm cool. And no, I'm not being sarcastic.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    I don't know. Buick and Cadillac are actually better in reliability stats now then many makes, especially the vaunted, over-complicated, over-engineered German cars (A Passat owner moaned to me the other day "beautiful car but a piece of junk. Nothing but major problems.)

1. Air Conditioning system "exploded" ($2,000)
    2. The dashboard gauge plastic shield is designed so that condensation and dust get behind the surface, so you can't clean it without taking it completely apart.
    3. The floormat hook was poorly designed so that it failed to hook the mats, which continuously bunched up. It then broke.
    4. Meanwhile, the durability of the floor carpeting is questionable-it's worn through, the first time this has ever happened to me.
    5. Recalls have included the seat positioning system not holding the seat during a collision.
    6. This just in: the three screws holding the door closing mechanism somehow worked their way loose. I kept getting door open indicator light even though the door was "closed." Again, this never happened with my Ford (or my Honda product, for that matter.)

The real problem is American cars lack panache, sex appeal, style. This may be changing-I prefer the Chrysler 300 0over any of the "50-year-old-German-Banker-in -a-provincial-town" Mercedes designs.

Of course, given the horrors that widespread car ownership create, if I were true to my principles , I would get rid of the car and live in a more urban/town environment.
    Holy cow, I actually agree with some thing you said! The Chrysler 300M is a slick ride. It’s an affordable American luxury vehicle in my opinion.

Bill

“I'm a man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn. That's what kind of man I am. You're just a woman with a small brain. With a brain a third the size of us. It's science.”

- Ron Burgundy

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Ford Excursion - a compact passenger vehicle meant to carry a soccer mom and a maximum of one child, to and from baseball practice.

Source: http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Ford
    Great mindless think alike.

Planning my way out of wet paper bag since 2003

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    You're talking more about cars than transportation now, so the FAC is probably a mor appropriate place for this post.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Good riddance, which will be the next to go? I think GM is sinking way too much into Hummer these Days to pull the plug, or is that just what I see from my obviously biased point of view? ...
    I hate the Hummer and what it most often stands for - some suburbanite that has too much money and wants everyone to know it, who will probably never need a 4x4 vehicle in their life, not to mention they wouldn't want to drive off road and get the 'truck' dirty .
    I'd like to see that one head off next, but I agree - now with the H2 and H3, I'd be shocked if GM pulled them.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    I'm always amazed at the number of MONSTER trucks I see here in South Florida, you know the type, the F-350's jacked up to about three feet above asphalt with tires as big as a person
    I see those a lot out here.. My usual response: "Someone's got a _____ size problem..." Goddamn rednecks...

Quote Originally posted by BKM
    [snip]
    4. Meanwhile, the durability of the floor carpeting is questionable-it's worn through, the first time this has ever happened to me
    Same thing happening to my Forester... The other stuff, not so much. The only problem I have is with the Brain-less wonders that changed my oil...

Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    Oh well. Just as long as the Ford F-series is alive and well...I'm cool. And no, I'm not being sarcastic
    The only truck I would buy. All the trucks on the job at the family landscape company have been Fords. First time we have agreed in a couple weeks, my Conservative counterpart!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi

The new SS Impalas have what is called displacement on demand. Basically the timing of the motor is reconfigured once you get going, and the computer will shut off up to 4 cylinders s based on need (No fuel will go into those if they are not needed)

I think that the big SUV’s will stay around, but the motors will be converted into a hybrid technology. Chevy will be offering the Suburban and possibly the Tahoe in a gas/electric option in the next year or so.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN

The only truck I would buy. All the trucks on the job at the family landscape company have been Fords. First time we have agreed in a couple weeks, my Conservative counterpart!
    LOL...awesome, my Ford brother.

The head of the planning department I interned for had one too...a quad cab to be exact. With all the development occurring, it works out great for monitoring major construction sites.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yeah....

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    The new SS Impalas have what is called displacement on demand. Basically the timing of the motor is reconfigured once you get going, and the computer will shut off up to 4 cylinders s based on need (No fuel will go into those if they are not needed)

I think that the big SUV’s will stay around, but the motors will be converted into a hybrid technology. Chevy will be offering the Suburban and possibly the Tahoe in a gas/electric option in the next year or so.
    I think this is the short term wave of the future- HYBRID EVERYTHING until the hydrogen models can be worked out This is a realistic policy direction for the big auto makers that REALLY could work!!
    Skilled Adoxographer

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis

There's a lot of rumors circulating that the new Toyota Tundra plant in San Antonio will be producing hybrids. From the sound of it, they will have a big 4 or small 6 paired with an electric motor. The gas engine would take care of the cruise driving and the electric motor would provide a boost for towing. Not sure though as I am not an expert on this hybrid stuff.

I think GM is setting itself up for failure with overemphasis on the Hummer and big SUVs like the Suburban (which they just updated). They are a day late and a dollar short on the hybrid market. I've heard '08 or '09 as the first years for their hybrids. Even Ford is light years ahead of them, having already gotten some hybrid products to market like the Escape. Dodge at least has some good diesel technology to play with.

Thought of the day: why weren't SUVs the first place to see hybrid technology? They often have extra space under the hood and have large rear areas to hold battery cells...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 23 Oct 2012, 3:39 PM
  2. The end of Ford?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 54
    Last post: 18 Nov 2010, 4:36 PM
  3. The President Ford Thread.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 01 Jan 2007, 6:41 PM