Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So, when is Fall ever going to begin?

Registered
    Nov 2004

So, when is Fall ever going to begin?

September was the hottest month of the year so far. Last week it was 100+ for almost every day (except on Thursday it cooled down for a few hours).

Now it's still hot as the 8th circle of hell.

What happened to Fall? Is it not happening this year?
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I think the Sun is vacationing on the surface of the Earth this year.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    It is 81 here along the North shore of the Ohio.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2002
    It's 83 here. By the time the great Fall weather comes it will start snowing.

Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    It's 83 here. (
    Ditto for Toledo

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Some weather we're having. It's 83 here. I tell ya, it's like Mother Nature forgot to turn on the cooler.......

Hey wait, you with the aluminum bat. Get away from me! I said stay away! AAAAHHHHHH!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I feel your pain jread since I'm only about an hour south of you. How'd you like that "less hot" front that came through last week, dropping the temperatures to only five degrees above average?

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Thursday... Like SW Michigan said it is in the mid 80’s here and will be for another two days... but on Thursday, we will not see 60.

I hope for snow by mid next week!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I had to scrape frost off my car this morning, and all the leaves are dropping from the trees. Fall is right on time in Alberta!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We won't really see any cooler weather until November.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    We have been seeing temps in the 50s, 70s, High 80s yesterday, 70s and down into the 50s and 60s the rest of the week.

Also on these days, the sky has been sunny, cloudy, misty, cold, moist, dry, rainy, windy.

Sounds just about right for the Front Range of Colorado to me...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    I feel your pain jread since I'm only about an hour south of you. How'd you like that "less hot" front that came through last week, dropping the temperatures to only five degrees above average?
    Yeah, I woke up that morning and thought "Wow, this is awesome!!". After what seemed like 10 minutes, it was hot again. Then the days after that were back to the usual oppressive death heat. I hate the summers in Texas (all 6 months of them). Portland is looking better and better: http://www.weather.com/weather/local...om=search_city
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Right now it's 85F and the dewpoint is 67, so it feels more like 90-92F.

It's gotta break soon so I can paint the house in relative comfort!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Often, September and October are the warmer months of the year for coastal California. Where I live, it can be quite hot during these months-although it cools down at night because the daylight period is 90 minutes shorter than the summer peak.

For example, it was 100 degrees last Tuesday, and 98 on Wednesday. it cooled down dramatically by Friday, and it was overcast and cool yesterday afternoon.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    September was probably the rainiest month Chicago has had since winter. Very odd. So, the rain helped keep the temperatures pretty moderate. We had warm days, but a few days I could sense autumn with some pretty chilly temps.

But the fall foliage will suck this year. Absolutely no color expected due to the damn spring/summer drought. The leaves will just all turn brown one day and fall down at once.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2004
    49 over here. Fall has begun on the west coast.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    49 over here. Fall has begun on the west coast.
    Yours are the temperatures that are making their way to Colorado! (Can't wait!)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004

Never....

Here in SE Florida, Fall is just a subtle change in wind patterns and bird types.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Here in SW Ohio it is 86 today. By Friday the high is suppose to be 65. Fall is on the way.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Was in Portland all last week and the weather was perfect (70's ish or so, much cooler at night), landed back in good 'ol Missouri with a light sweater on and about died from the heat and humidity...88 here today, same tommorrow, then they SAY we will start seeing some cooler temps.....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    It is 55 degrees here today. The leaves have already changed colors. And it is snowing in the mountains.

Registered
    Sep 2005

Saturday was fall

Quote Originally posted by jread
    September was the hottest month of the year so far. Last week it was 100+ for almost every day (except on Thursday it cooled down for a few hours).

Now it's still hot as the 8th circle of hell.

What happened to Fall? Is it not happening this year?
    Saturday was fall. I heard the elk bugling. It was 72. Then it snowed Sunday night, and this morning I woke up to 2" of the glorious white stuff on the ground. I think it's winter now. Didn't get above 40 here today. The local ski hill has their snow guns pulled out. Supposed to keep snowing until Wednesday.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Every hot day is one less I will need to run my furnace. And with what they say that will cost this year, that's ok by me.

That being said, it looks as though I will run my furnace and AC in the same week 90 today low in the 30's later this week

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    It's been in the upper '80s here in central Indiana, but is supposed to cool down after a front comes through Thursday.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    High of 58f here today. Cloudy as all get out to boot. Fall is here. Time for darker beer, hot chili, and hockey.

Hey, that sounds like a good idea...

-Peart

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. So when does Spring begin ?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 25 Feb 2013, 8:18 PM
  2. When did suburbia begin?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 30 Nov 2012, 6:11 PM