Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: NFIP Question - V zone construction standards

Registered
    Sep 2005

NFIP Question - V zone construction standards

Are pilings or piers required for V Zone construction in every instance? For example, what if the BFE for the V zone is 18 feet NGVD 29 and the exisiting grade is 16 feet are you still required to use pilings or can you use fill to elevate the structure above BFE??? Any thoughts........

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I would contact somebody who is a CFM in Washington or your State NFIP coordinator.

Only a somebody knowledgeable and experienced with "V" Zones should answer this.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2004
    I am not knowledgable or particularly experienced with V zones - but wouldn't using fill to elevate the structure result in raising the BFE somewhat - kind of like putting ice cubes in a glass of water?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Lucky you, I happen to be a CFM.

While I don't have to deal with V Zones where I live, I am familiar with them.

Fill may not be used for structural support. In other words, they are stuck with pilings. This should be stated in your floodplain development ordinance somewhere. Also, if they construct any walls below the BFE in a V Zone, those walls must be break-away.

Let me guess, someone doesn't want to use a pier foundation and is just saying "it's only two feet". On that note, you should also check the floodplain ordinance to see if it requires any freeboard.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2003
    How do you get to be a CFM? I'd like to add that to the letters after my name. I've read a lot of FEMA stuff in the last several months, so maybe I already know a lot of the test items.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by boilerplater
    How do you get to be a CFM? I'd like to add that to the letters after my name. I've read a lot of FEMA stuff in the last several months, so maybe I already know a lot of the test items.
    Go to www.floods.org/
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by boilerplater
    You can also check with your state floodplain management association.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Sep 2005

Thanks...

Thanks Repairman... I reviewed our ordinance and you're right, fill can't be used to elevate a structure in V zones and we do have freeboard requirements, 1 foot above BFE. I just moved to a communtity that has V zones on thier FIRMs from one that didn't and am trying to get used to the new regs. I always thougth that you had to use pilings too, at least that's what I remember from EMI. Thanks again!

Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Lucky you, I happen to be a CFM.

While I don't have to deal with V Zones where I live, I am familiar with them.

Fill may not be used for structural support. In other words, they are stuck with pilings. This should be stated in your floodplain development ordinance somewhere. Also, if they construct any walls below the BFE in a V Zone, those walls must be break-away.

Let me guess, someone doesn't want to use a pier foundation and is just saying "it's only two feet". On that note, you should also check the floodplain ordinance to see if it requires any freeboard.

Registered
    Sep 2005

Using fill...

Using fill to elevate a structure is only prohibited in floodways, and even then there are exceptions if you can provide engineering that shows no-rise in the floodway. In V zones or any other zone for that matter,that same criteria doesn't apply because in developing the BFE for the FIRM all of that fill has been taken into account.

Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    I am not knowledgable or particularly experienced with V zones - but wouldn't using fill to elevate the structure result in raising the BFE somewhat - kind of like putting ice cubes in a glass of water?

Registered
    Jul 2004

tides are velocity floods?

Nearly the entire coastline here is a velocity flood zone, although we wonder why, since twice-daily tides move more water than any flood event ever could. Fill is allowed for structural support in a V flood zone only "when certified by an engineer or architect that the [other] standards of this chapter are satisfied."

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Dec 2011, 1:46 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 04 Jan 2011, 10:54 AM
  3. NFIP prefered risk policies
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Nov 2010, 4:44 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 30 Jul 2008, 4:12 PM