Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Walgreens

Registered
    Nov 2001

Walgreens

Bturk and I are in the midsts of another poker game with one of America's corporate darlings...

I am looking for help from many of you with an aesthetically pleasing Walgreens in your towns. There must be a few out there. I did one in Frankfort, IL that is quite lovely, but the developers summarily rejected it. What else is out there...I want to bring acceptable options to the table before they walk away and we laugh.

Please, NO typical coroporate vernacular with a giant neon morter & pestle.

THanks in advance.
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

I have seen a few decent looking ones in SE Wisconsin. Pewaukee has one on Capitol that isn't spectacular, but doesn't have that neon tower feature.

I collected a few photos a while back when they wanted to come here.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

This one is in Buffalo, NY (The last one was in Mokena, IL)
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Jul 2002
    When I was working at the City of Chicago 2-3 years ago, Walgreens had as many as 15 sites they were looking at for new stores. Different planners were doing design review for sites in different locations, and Walgreens tried their best to play the planning department against itself.

Eventually the planning department came up with design guidelines specifically for Walgreens, and the quality of the buildings improved greatly. You could check out www.cityofchicago.org and get some info on the Walgreens design guidebook.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I was going to do a similar post yesterday......If anyone also has similar pictures of good Walmart or Home Depot's I would appreciate them as well.

Both of these are looking at our city, and the problem is, we won't turn them down......so, I want to show them good things that they have done, and when they say they can't do this and that I'll be able to show them where they have.

Thanks

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Prudence - Good thread! Can I add on a request for Targets? We've got a super controversial (redundant, I know) proposal in the works here.

This is one step up off their normal store. Located in Columbus, Ohio

Registered
    Aug 2001
    cowley - thanks for the pics. nice for a home depot, but the orange still kills me!

Here is a Lowe's store in Dublin, Ohio. This is supposed to be their top of the line store. They have put this on the cover of their corporate magazine. They have another similar one in South Carolina.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I don't have a picture but the Walgreens at the corner of St. Charles Avenue and Felicity Street is one of the best I've seen in the New Orleans area. It was built to the sidewalk and has large windows in which you can actually see the street outside of the store. I remember the developers saying that it was their "Chicago" model. I can give you the name of a staff member to contact if you want more info.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

I was on the board that recently approved a new Walgreens. It is supposed to start construction next year. It will be very attractive and quite a change for them. What's different?

The building is at the corner of two streets, against the street. The parking is on the side, not front
    The entrance faces the street, not the parking lot
    Smaller signage
    Brick facade
    Wrought iron fence with brick around the parking lot
    Drive-thru is in the rear
    Windows are recessed with pictures of the city in historic times inside.

This Eckerd is in Southlake Texas. Southlake has strict design standards. It's not perfect, but an improvement over the typical store, which will follow.

This is a typical store in Lake Jackson, Texas

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Planderella
    I don't have a picture but the Walgreens at the corner of St. Charles Avenue and Felicity Street is one of the best I've seen in the New Orleans area. It was built to the sidewalk and has large windows in which you can actually see the street outside of the store. I remember the developers saying that it was their "Chicago" model. I can give you the name of a staff member to contact if you want more info.
    We're a bit too 'suburban' to have the "street edge storefront" in the location they are proposing. I've seen several of their 'chicago models' though and we're looking in that vein.

Here is a Walmart in Columbus, Ohio.

Main difference is the color scheme isn't typical

This one is off Wal-marts website

This is one of the new Neighborhood Market Stores in Oklahoma City. Coming soon to a city near you, it's their latest way to grab more of your dollars. They will be located near the Super Walmarts to take advantage of the distribution network but will be the size of a grocery store.

This one is off Walmart's website too. I've never seen a brick Walmart before.

Sorry I don't have any target pictures. But I'd love to see some. Can you tell I collect pictures of big box stores?

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Originally posted by cowley.11
    This one is off Walmart's website too. I've never seen a brick Walmart before.

Sorry I don't have any target pictures. But I'd love to see some. Can you tell I collect pictures of big box stores?
    I have a couple of Target pictures in the Cyburbia Gallery but I'm not sure when it will be up and running again.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I finished putting together an awards presentation for the Wisconsin Downtown Action Council this past weekend. We are planning to give an award to a gas station that located in downtown Delafield, WI. This is a gas station?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Two story building, architecture similar to the neighbors, set up against the street with the pumps in the back - truly amazing.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Mike - thanks for the example from my hometown! For being only 30 minutes away, I dont get there often enough.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    That's pretty cool. How many death threats from the staff did it take for the developers to come up with a design like that?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    That's pretty cool. How many death threats from the staff did it take for the developers to come up with a design like that?
    Actually most of the downtown is owned by one man / firm. I'm assuming he has a hand in this. He is strongly into Williamsburg Colonial styles, and has basically re-faced existing buildings or razed and replaced them with buildings in that style. He has single handedly made a pissant town into an antique / craft mecca for southeastern Wisconsin. Most locals love him or hate him. I personally have alot of respect for the man and what he's done.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    And here's a cool aerial shot I found:

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 06 Aug 2011, 8:24 AM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last post: 06 Jan 2004, 7:37 AM