Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Accredited vs non-accredited?

Registered
    Sep 2005

Accredited vs non-accredited?

How important is it to attend an accredited graduate program as opposed to one that is not, such as Texas Southern University?

The question is this: Why would you spend 2 years in a program that is not recognized as an accredited program? You want the expertise and name behind it so people won't question your knowledge background.
    Forechecking is overrated.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Good point. I'm going to get a BS in Civil and Environmental Engineering as an undergraduate degree. There are three accredited programs in Texas - UT at Austin and Arlington and Texas A&M. Which one is the best?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    And if you plan to apply for AICP, attendance at a non-accreditated school requires a longer period of professional experience.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by warwickbass
    Good point. I'm going to get a BS in Civil and Environmental Engineering as an undergraduate degree. There are three accredited programs in Texas - UT at Austin and Arlington and Texas A&M. Which one is the best?
    UT Austin has one of the best civil programs in the nation... by reputation at least. I would go to Austin, hands down. Unless you plan on doing some sort of Agricultural/Rural work... then A&M... but for most Civil disciplines, Austin. Of course, I have no firsthand knowledge of either program... only what I have heard working in the field (and from what professors said in school)

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Hmm. I think the aspects of Urban and Regional Planning that interest me the most are Transportation and Land Use and Land Development.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by warwickbass
    Hmm. I think the aspects of Urban and Regional Planning that interest me the most are Transportation and Land Use and Land Development.
    For a graduate degree I would suggest an accredited program. UT-Arlington is my favorite in Texas and is very well thought of in planning circles. Transportation planning seems far more active in the DFW area as well and that area is light years ahead of most other parts of Texas in new development practices, such as TODs, TNDs, NU, etc. Plus there are FAR more jurisdictions to work for in that area compared to your other college cities when you graduate or need an internship.

Austin is a better place to live though, IMHO.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Planners LEED-AP accredited
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 03 Jul 2013, 11:40 AM
  2. Non-PAB accredited schools?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 02 Jul 2013, 5:56 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Mar 2011, 1:58 PM