Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Montreal : Oct 11 - 13 2005 (56k death!)

Registered
    Jan 2005

Montreal : Oct 11 - 13 2005 (56k death!)

I found myself in Montreal on family business this week and was able to get a bit of a whirlwind voyage thru centre city. I arrived late Tuesday afternoon and quickly scrambled outside to grab a few photos before my light disappeared.

Rooftops and Mr. Moon.

Chinatown was very near my hotel. I was staying at the Holiday Inn Express on Boul Rene Levesque, midway between Sanguinet and Saint Urbain. This was a block or so in the direction of Saint Urbain. Chinatown has some marvelous pedestrian streets (not too mention some very pricey bulk tea).

Notre Dame Basilica.

View in the opposite direction from the square adjacent to the Basilica.

I believe this is the side of the old City Hall. Palace of Justice should be to the left, if my memory serves.

On Wednesday I was able to get out in the afternoon once again to take some photos. In the evening I had a bit of a reunion with a former classmate at McGill, and we went out to a few pubs and bars. Marvelous nightlife.

Rue St. Paul! The old main street of Montreal - very, very old street. Cobblestone and medieval wandering. Pretty excellent example of terminating the vista.

Again, old City Hall, I believe. This time the left front side of it.

Courtyard cafe and car park. I hold an obsessive interest in all that are courtyards - courtyard homes, courtyard buildings, and so forth. Montreal was paradise for me.

Old Montreal near Rue St. Paul.

This is just below Rue St. Paul and was the former waterfront street of the city. The waterfront has moved steadily outward as more piers are built and land reclaimed.

The writing on the wall.

A very warm and welcoming building on Rue St. Paul. Nice galleries inside of it, and sweet, sweet central heating.

I like this shot. The angles and lighting worked well.

Assimilation! They built right around it and integrated the old building into the new. Brilliant. Note: the same building as above, viewed down the block.

Street-level view of the building in the last two shots.

So that was my Montreal trip. I've many more photos on my computer, a great many of which are probably relevant to here but I've tried to limit it a bit. There are a few more in my gallery that I did not post here, too.

abrowne's Montreal gallery
    http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/show...y.php?cat=6414

cheers!

Quote Originally posted by abrowne

Assimilation! They built right around it and integrated the old building into the new. Brilliant. Note: the same building as above, viewed down the block.
    ARGH. That's not brilliant, it's just stupid. Buckingham Palace is an example of an extension that's brilliant. This thing is just a humiliation of the old building by dwarfing it with a monster that sort-of looks like it but doesn't have any of its qualities.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I happen to like it. The building around it is not a monster and is very pleasing to the eye. Would you prefer it be demolished? A city does not wait for anyone. It looks good. It is good.

Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    I happen to like it. The building around it is not a monster and is very pleasing to the eye. Would you prefer it be demolished?
    That's exactly the kind of false dichotomy that architects imposed to get their way. It is either disfigurement or demolition of the old building. Not a thought was given to simply continuing the pattern of the old building into the new one, which is what had always been done in building extensions in the past.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    You're carrying way too much baggage into the thread. It is a fine building. Period. Montreal is in no danger of losing the old, building-by-building facade pattern. The styles complement and are very similar. From the street level it looks marvelous, and looks like the pattern of old building was continued in that the facades are varied and interesting. Similarily, the new building is able to be much, much taller because it utilizes modern structural materials - would you simply scale the "old" style upward, nevermind the shrinking effect it would have on nearby, original buildings? The height allows increased density. Why must the old be carbon copied precisely?

I'll be the first to jump on the case of a crap building. But this isn't one.

These buildings have no element in common other than the color of the materials. Everything in the new building is a sharp, right angle with a flat surface. This is the complete opposite of the pattern of the old building. It's postmodern contempt at its most flagrant.

You may not have seen a lot but this city is full of these kinds of deformities. You have a perfectly good building attached to a gigantic postmodern monster that tries to harmonize with it but doesn't have any of the details right, and doesn't even try to. Frankly I would have liked it better if they had attached a glass box modernist building to it, like the one across the street in your picture. At least those are easy to ignore.
    Similarily, the new building is able to be much, much taller because it utilizes modern structural materials - would you simply scale the "old" style upward, nevermind the shrinking effect it would have on nearby, original buildings? The height allows increased density.
    This is completely false. It is perfectly feasible to scale the style of the old building up. All of the classical skyscrapers in Manhattan prove that.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello from Montreal
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 04 Feb 2007, 4:07 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 30 Nov 2005, 10:16 AM
  3. 2005 Death Pool Update #2
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 30 Mar 2005, 12:39 PM