+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Chicago--What's happening in this city is worth a lot of attention

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Off-topic:
    Do you actually have allergies to the nicotine itself or are you just sensitive to bad air in general? Because ours can get pretty nasty. (Not nearly as bad as LA though).
    JordanB -- the allergies are typically to the chemicals in cigarette smoke. On a real smoggy day, if the carbon monoxide levels are high (out here, and in most cities, ozone is the bigger problem), I can feel it a little bit -- but as many studies have showed, the air in most bars that have not banned smoking is 10 times worse than even a bad day for carbon monoxide, so the air outside is not nearly the same issue. After a smoggy day, I might feel a little rough, but it's pretty rare, and clears up the next day. After an hour or so in a restaurant that's even moderately smoky, I'll generally be sick for about a month with sinus infections, ear infections, chest infections, etc, so I pretty much have to avoid it at all costs.

In response to the post by Rumpy, I think any reasonable person would understand why I would choose to live in a city where I do not have to choose between not having a social life or being sick every day of my life.

Also, Rumpy -- since you think it's so easy to find non-smoking bars, please list me all the non-smoking bars you've found in Chicago. Because personally, on all my trips there, I've found none.

please list me all the non-smoking bars you've found in city xyz
    Sadly, there shouldn't be any cities with non-smoking bars unless they owner makes that choice.

Bars are for smoking, drinking, swearing, ogling women's t*ts and *sses and for puking at the end of the night...

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Off-topic:
    Thanks RJ, I will do my best to hug and kiss.....

Quote Originally posted by Blue
    In response to the post by Rumpy, I think any reasonable person would understand why I would choose to live in a city where I do not have to choose between not having a social life or being sick every day of my life.
    That doesn't mean that every place should have to cater to your needs. If you want a social life, go to the places that support your criteria. A business should be able to decide by their clientel whether or not their clients want a certian feature to be at that establishment.

Also, Rumpy -- since you think it's so easy to find non-smoking bars, please list me all the non-smoking bars you've found in Chicago. Because personally, on all my trips there, I've found none.
    Good for you. You should start your own bar. Either at your new apartment, or the bubble you live in .
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Well, Rumpy, I do not live in a bubble because I live in a state that represents the rights of all people, a state that doesn't allow second-hand smoke to injure and kill people unvoluntarily (and yes, there are times my job REQUIRES me to be in a bar/restaurant, and most white-collar jobs I know of do this -- entertaining clients, etc., is part of most jobs). So here, I have a social life. I have a life. And if I move, all I want is a city/state/whatever that is the same. If Chicago, or another city, doesn't have a smoking ban, I simply won't move there, I'll go elsewhere. That shouldn't bother you at all, it has no impact on your life either way. And I, or anyone, shouldn't have to listen to people tell me my decision-making rationale is stupid, or that I live in a bubble. Fine, you are against smoking bans. For me, my life situation makes me in favor of them. But end the cheap shots. Saying a live in a bubble is a cheap shot, plain and simple. The only possible reason anyone would resort to something like that is either a) they know they are wrong, b) they are just the type of person who enjoys annoying people or c) they have low enough self-esteem that they get pleasure from bringing other people down.

Let's get this straight -- you are against smoking bans. Fine. But do not ever tell me that I can't be in favor of them, or tell me it's stupid to choose a place based on the ability to live a normal life, or that I live in a bubble. I do not tolerate that, I do not appreciate that, and I simply can not have one iota of respect for people who tell me that. You have your opinion, I have mine. But end the cheap shots. I think I have avoided any cheap shots your way, but you have again responded with a cheap shot.

Back to the initial topic... Chicago redevelopment. I almost forgot what the topic was!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    But end the cheap shots. Saying a live in a bubble is a cheap shot, plain and simple. The only possible reason anyone would resort to something like that is either a) they know they are wrong, b) they are just the type of person who enjoys annoying people or c) they have low enough self-esteem that they get pleasure from bringing other people down.
    That's not the case, but option b. seems right

You have your opinion, I have mine. But end the cheap shots. I think I have avoided any cheap shots your way, but you have again responded with a cheap shot.

Back to the initial topic... Chicago redevelopment. I almost forgot what the topic was!
    You completely missed the origional intent of my post. Let people choose and let the owners decide on that.

And with the last sentence, I agree. Sorry, I didn't mean to drag this thread into the ditch. I should leave that to Donald Trump
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 32
    Last post: 18 Dec 2012, 10:28 AM
  2. City Club of Chicago
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Dec 2007, 2:07 PM
  3. New York City or Chicago?
    Cities and Places