Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What would you be/do if you weren't a Planner?

Registered
    Oct 2001

Alternative (Post Lottery)

I would probably be an architect, except I can't draw and don't like math.

Landscape architecture is very interesting. Sorta planning-related, I like plants and doesn't require as much structural engineering type math.

Maybe open an architecture/design book store/photo gallery/frou frou architectural housewares store. Only if I had a partner to do the dirty work of running the business. I would show my photographs of old midwestern red brick factories, not caring if anyone wants to buy them, because, of course, this is a post-lottery alternative

Registered
    Jul 2002

Re: Alternative (Post Lottery)

Originally posted by BKM

Landscape architecture is very interesting. Sorta planning-related, I like plants and doesn't require as much structural engineering type math.
    Ditto, BKM. If I'd been exposed to landscape architecture out of high school, that's probably the way I would've gone. The plants stuff, though, I could do without.

Teaching and research, too. I'd love to come to class and pontificate about planning, sociology, geography or poli sci, telling impressionable undergrads that I know everything about those fields and everything that will happen in the future. And have pretty grad students assist me on research and publishing.

What a dream.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I have my undergrad degree in Landscape Architecture. And it can be fun unless you have those damned deadlines...

Did you hear about the Landscape Architect who won the lottery?

He stayed in business until the money ran out...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Sep 1998

My Profession, If Not A Planner

If I were not a planner, I'd probably be a carpenter or cabinetmaker. There is something inherently satisfying about working with your hands and producing beautiful and functional furniture. I also enjoy welding and metal fabircation.

I do these activities as a hobby and actually owned by own commercial/residential renovation company between undergraduate and graduate degrees, but I soon discovered that all the joy went out of the activities when money and deadlines entered the picture.

As for landscape architecture, I don't need to become one as my sister is in the business. My dad (although retired) was a civil engineer who started life as a carpenter. On the face of it, it would seem that the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree.

One ther profession that I thought might be funis that of "author".
    I have often thoought it might be fun to assemble a rambling book dealing with varoius humorous aspects of planning and community development. Hell a good portionof the material I could use could come direly from this website.

I once posted a thread on this website inquiring what planners did to relieve job stress. One idividual responded that she enjoyed gardening. In particular, she enjoyed "weeding". As she explained it, she would give each troublesome weed the name of a difficult developer and then take great pleasure in pulling it. I still laugh when I think about that story.
    Last edited by pandersen; 26 Sep 2002 at 2:01 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sorry to dredge up old threads...

But last night I was watching a movie when I had this epiphany and finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up! I mean, I would really love to do this...

I want to be a locational scout for a film company. If some script calls for some quaint village somewhere, you get to travel around and find the perfect quaint village. Or stinky, mosquito-infested swamp, or hot, sandy desert wasteland. But whatever... it's still awesome! Finally, an exciting way to actually use my Geography degree.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Planner vs senior planner
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 06 Aug 2007, 8:35 PM
  2. Not a planner
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 26 Aug 2006, 9:19 AM
  3. Senior Planner vs Planner II?