Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What would you be/do if you weren't a Planner?

Registered
    Feb 2002

What would you be/do if you weren't a Planner?

Just curious....

As for me....I absolutely love archaeology, historic preservation, and architecture, and at times, actually considered going to school for each of them (separetely). I fell into planning as a result of wanting some sort of connection with all three of them. I actually love planning ((gasp!!)), so I wouldn't necessarily do something else that would require me going back to school.

I also love Forensics, but don't think I could stomache it.

I have no desire (at this time) to go Public Admin. I want control on the planning part of it. Not really *control*, per se, but the ability to use my knowledge and have input on things.

What I really would LOVE to do is have a downtown business that has antiques, crafts, plants. You know, the really cute ones people love to go to. Maybe hold some classes - stuff like that. Ok, now you all can be sure that I am a big time dork (but proud!) I want to also learn to quilt and to play the violin (in case anyone cares...)

Christine

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hmmmm... it depends on how much money I already had in the bank. Like I would dig being a travel agent or tour guide, but only if I could support myself (these days, that isn't likely!)... I used to love doing layout for the newspaper. You get to work swing and usually be in a creative, fun environment (well, at least the places I've worked).

Sports photographer would be groovy, too. Like the Bennet guy that does all the hockey pics.

When I get old (like really old), I'll probably be one of those cantankerous campground hosts that parks their rv's in the best spot for the entire summer. How hard can that be? And hey... free camping!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Well, I was a computer science major in high school. However, straight coding wasn't too appealing, and I was always fascinated with cities and the built environment -- thus, my chosen profession.

If not planning, I'd probably be an architect. That, or Web site content creation. Teaching and research -- sociology and anthropology -- is also something I'd find appealing.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

I would like to do something music related. I always thought that owning a record/cd shop would be cool...well except for the pay. Working for a decent record label would be cool too. Music writer/critic...

Maybe I have watched High Fidelity and Almost Famous too many times.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I'd be a courtesan.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I started out in architecture, but couldn't hack the math (8am every day). Then I toyed with pre-law before discovering planning. Perhaps one of those with the proper motivation. But I think being a "Gentleman Farmer" would be nice.

Not that I'm a planner at the moment, but I always wanted to be Isaac Asimov when I grew up. In the sense of write that much in that many genres and make that much money, not the sense of being male and dead... The being a science advisor to Star Trek would be a pretty cool part of being Asimov, too. Especially with the cute guy playing the engineer in Enterprise *eyes glaze over*
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Firefighter with the Philadelphia Fire Department. Maybe someday I'll hit the lottery so I can actually afford to work my "dream job."

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Lawyer by day Fetish model by night *hey gotta have one to pay for the other right?*

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I'd love to have a show like one of the ones on Food TV.. like the Thirsty Traveler.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by Planderella
    I'd be a courtesan.
    OK, Satine. hee.

If money weren't really an issue? Travel agent or wedding planner.

However, when I was really hating my life at my consulting job, I actually started to go back to school to get a masters in teaching reading in elementary school. However, 6 months later I got this job, and love it, so stopped going to school.

Registered
    Oct 2001

A small dream

I'd own a Kinko's(TM) in a mid-west college town and take all the available college classes and get like 37 PhD's and talk a lot of crap to impressionable minds and counter-protest every protest of something and ride my bike everywhere and wear shorts year-round and work on my Volvo and Saltwater tank alot and sit on boards and toss out ADHD inspired off topic comments.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    Fetish model by night
    You know, if you do't have that many night meetings, the latter is still quite possible.

You could start your own Web site, too. Post some teaser shots in a.b.p.e.f, and direct them to a URL where, for $10 a month, they can find more PlannerGirl goodness.

Originally posted by El Guapo
    I'd own a Kinko's(TM) in a mid-west college town and take all the available college classes and get like 37 PhD's and talk a lot of crap to impressionable minds and counter-protest every protest of something and ride my bike everywhere and wear shorts year-round and work on my Volvo and Saltwater tank alot and sit on boards and toss out ADHD inspired off topic comments.
    Here's some stickers for your Volvo, to start you off on your new lifestyle.

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Lawyer by day Fetish model by night *hey gotta have one to pay for the other right?*

I agree. PlannerGirl should be a fetish model.

I would be an attorney. Funny how I keep choosing careers where people think you are scum...
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Lol thanks guys
    I actualy have my first public showing of my photography in November-i just found out today my work got selected!

Yhaeee *happy beagle dance*
    Last edited by PlannerGirl; 20 Sep 2002 at 1:23 PM.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2000
    very cool - go danie!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    All things being equal: Stay at home dad.

Now if i was single...major league baseball umpire. Travel, per diem, and baseball everyday--and a darn good salary.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Lol thanks guys
    I actualy have my first public showing of my photography in November-i just found out today my work got selected!
    JPG! JPG! JPG!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Lol no Dan you have seen enough-there is no way in heck i can or will post it here. And no they are not slezy.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'd like to become a photographer for the Victoria's Secret catalogue.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Hmm, if I weren't going to be a planner...

Originally posted by El Guapo
    I'd own a Kinko's(TM) in a mid-west college town and take all the available college classes and get like 37 PhD's and talk a lot of crap to impressionable minds...
    Well, I'd probably spend my time writing books about anything, visiting different parts of the world, and working in an Apple Store. I would support this luxurious lifestyle by staying in school forever and blackmailing scholarship money from Bill Gates and other conspirators for world domination. 'Cause I know what they're up to.

I should probably stop stealing stuff from El Guapo but its not like he could sue me - I'm a poor college student.

Registered
    Oct 2001

been there

I should probably stop stealing stuff from El Guapo but its not like he could sue me - I'm a poor college student.
    A customer actually threatened to sue me in my first planner job after college back in '97 because I refused to "good ole boy" an application. I dug out the keys to my 88' Dodge Colt Wagon and tossed them to her and told her she now had 3/4 of my assets. The other 1/4 was invested in Dockers and a 386. She put the keys down on the desk and left.

Registered
    Jul 2002

otro trabajo

I would be the taste tester and roving correspondent for "Beer" magazine, an international publication dedicated to the the time honored tradition (in my family, at least) of quaffing fine suds.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I really don't know what I'd do if I wasn't a planner - I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else (well, I guess on some days professional golfer sounds good).

My wife and I have talked about opening a small French-Canadian restaurant.

Or maybe I could be the first Iron Chef "Canadian".

Registered
    Jul 2002

food

When I lived in Northern Maine, the local Franco-Americans (Acadian) served a thin buckwheat pancake (ploids? [sp.]). Yummy, especially with maple syurp.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Planner vs senior planner
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 06 Aug 2007, 8:35 PM
  2. Not a planner
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 26 Aug 2006, 9:19 AM
  3. Senior Planner vs Planner II?