Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ever been on national TV?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ever been on national TV?

If anyone caught the show 'Inside the NFL' on HBO (produced by NFL Films) within the past week, they showed me hoisting my faux Lombardi Trophy while I was in our front-row, south end zone seats at the Seahawks @ Packers playoff game last Saturday (2008-01-12). That clip appeared a few times on the NFL Network's highlights show, too. Has anyone else in here had such national exposure (and lived to tell about it)?

Mike

Cyburbia Administrator
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Has anyone else in here had such national exposure (and lived to tell about it)?
    Yup, but I thought she was 18. I just wanted to mentor her, that's all.

Seriously, never on national television, but on local television more than a few times; if it wasn't job-related, it was for It's Academic when I was in high school.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Yup, but I thought she was 18. I just wanted to mentor her, that's all.
    My poor monitor!!

I'm on local TV several times a year. (I guess...don't bother to check if they really air it.)

Last year I was the star of the only Mardi Gras parade in Michigan (outdoors), with decorated sousaphone. Couple weeks back I hawked the good cause of our local bicycle give-away. "Gee, we still need more donations. In this neighborhood, arrival of the police is not always seen as a good thing, so it's great to see GRPD out here giving bikes away."

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    The only national TV that I can think of would be CSPAN, when they recorded a bunch of guest speakers at a political convention in Washington. And then, it was probably just the back of my head or a side profile shot, as I was in the audience.

Some local TV appearances I can think of include:
    A White Sox game I went to as a kid back in 93 or 94. Apparently I had fallen asleep (hey, I was 6 years old and it was a night game) and they showed my face on the screen.

I was also on the local news when they were showing people entering the Chicago Auto Show a few years back. My Grandma happened to be watching the news and saw me on TV.

Probably my most famous television appearance was when the local news walked & talked with me as I was protesting the governor of Illinois' appearance at a suburban parade. Luckily, I got to see it on TV and record it.

Mind you, the Chicago media market reaches some 10 million people. So, even local coverage is pretty significant.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Yes,,, I was on the national news coverage of a parade in NYC. I somehow got to be at the front of a parade...was quite a fun experience.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Was at a Rugby League game and before the game starts they do close ups of people in the crowd- yours truely was on national tv for a good couple of seconds... im guessing the cameraman was a bit of a perve..
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Jun 2003
    not even close - watched them film a car crash for a made for TV movie.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2007
    When going to school in Amsterdam, a reporter approached myself and several of my friends for an interview. We agreed and were asked a series of questions - the only person that actually made it on the air was me! The question was, "Do you think Amsterdam is a violent city?" and I made it on national TV with a bewildered look and a response of, "Are you serious?"

Also, in junior high I was in a class that participated in a national contest to develop some anti-drug commercials. My group of four won one of the ten slots nationwide and got some money to actually film the commercial. I'm not sure if it showed nationwide, but I do know that it at least showed a few times in Montana, California, and Louisiana - but my face was not in the commercial. This was back in 92/93 I think?

Registered
    Jan 2006
    We were filmed for a reality show called One Good Turn, to be aired on the Speed Network. Supposedly they will not be able to show much of us playing due to copyright issues . . .

Registered
    Mar 2006
    You can catch me in the far left of the front row, on an episode of Jerry Springer . It was taped 4 years ago, but I've never seen it air myself. When you go to a taping, they can't tell you when it will air.

At one of the first Lalapalooza concerts, my brother was filmed by MTV slam dancing in a crowd. It seemed to air over and over again, whenever they did Lalapalooza coverage that summer.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    No but oddly, one of my MPA profs from Univ of S FL was on NBC news tonite. I know she was regularly quoted in the Tampa and Orlando papers but had not seen her on national news before. Boy she looks older. Guess I do, too....

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Just the dumb business channels. Does that count?

Well, apparently once in a while I get flashed on some stock BBC footage (talk about 5 seconds of fame, I didn't even realize I was being filmed...)
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I was on a documentary on The Discovery Channel about Marine Corps Expeditionary Units back in 2000. It was filmed mostly aboard the USS Saipan while I was embarked and our public affairs office (who coordinated all the filming with the crew from The Discovery Channel) was in the same space as our personnel office (where I worked) so the film crew was in our space all the time.

We were so excited when we got an advanced copy of the two hour program and we put it in and watched it. I think we made it through about 45 minutes and realized that watching a program about our everyday lives was probably the most boring thing ever put on television.

Of course, when I told my parents when it would be on and they watched it, they absolutely loved it.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Local TV..yes many times, local access city council, planning commission and county commission, mpo meetings etc..

National TV, not yet, However my sister is from time to time (she is a fox reporter) when one of her stories gets picked up nationally. Her most coverage to date probably came when she was attacked by a cat last year on the air while doing a story on a animal shelter. That clip also was viewed quite a few times on you tube.

No national TV, but I was partly in Sports Illustrated in March 1986.

I had visited BSU to check out the campus and flew back through Chicago. Met a few guys flying into Jersey to watch their school (DePaul?) in the NCAA MBB tournament. They had tickets to the final, but were willing to sell them at face value, so I bought 'em. My brother and I went to the game and had great seats about 5 rows up under the basket. Got to see Navy's David Robinson against the Dukies, although the Midshipmen's dream season came to an end that day.

As the next issue of SI came out, there's a photo of Robinson dunking at the basket right in front of us. My brother is clearly visible, but they cropped the photo right down the middle of my face.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Parents and friends claimed the cameras showed me for a split second yelling at the 2003 BCS National Championship game when I was in the OU band.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Not TV, but AP photo run of my brother and I at Game 3 of the 1991 World Series (Braves vs. Twins). It was in newspapers across the country including Sporting News.

Unfortunately the caption under the photo talked about the indians protesting the Braves exploitation of their heritage (we fans had tomahawks) and not about the game per se.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Yes, for Nolan Ryan's 300th win in Milwaukee. We were on all local stations as well as locals in the Dallas Metroplex. Also, Sportscenter, Wide World of Sports, Good Morning America, The Today Show, and the Nightly New (don't remember which network).

Myself and friends each took a letter or number and spelled out "NOLAN RYAN 300" on our chests. I was the first zero

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. National Forests
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 25 Jan 2011, 9:57 AM
  2. [IowaAPA] from APA national
    APA Iowa Chapter
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Aug 2009, 10:05 PM
  3. National Train Day
    Friday Afternoon Club