Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is your vision / eyesight?

Registered
    May 2005

What is your vision / eyesight?

Doing a little survey on vision/eyesight. Can you help?

From your left - right perspective (Left eye on same side as left hand)

Uncorrected:

Left: 20/100 / Right: 20/400

-1.0 / -3.25 would be approximate conversion

Prescription: (w/ contacts - I don't correct to full power, frequently I only wear right contact)

Left: -0.75 / Right: -2.75

Dominance: naturally right eye dominant despite power difference.

Do you wear your glasses/contacts all the time? Or part of the time? When?

How long have you needed vision correction?
    - Beware more of the man in the fancy cloak, than the one in tattered clothing -

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I started wearing glasses in the second grade. At that time, the huge plastics frame were popular - whoah hoah!

In March of this year, my contacts were both -5. I had LASIK the end of March and both eyes are perfect I think one is 20/20 the other 25/20.

It was a lot of money, but totally worth it.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Luckily my vision is still good. I hate to even wear sunglasses.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear has been wearing glasses since I was twelve (12). I was on the back porch, looking through the holes in a saltine cracker, and everything looked sharper and clearer. I told my dad, he took me to the eye doc, and the glasses became part of my head.

For years I wore contacts whenever I played basketball. Because of my severe astigmatism I can't wear them all of the time.

I have no idea what my vision numbers are. Here are some other numbers.....

I have had glasses for forty-five (45) years. My glasses are bi-focals, so I have four (4) separate lense-views. One (1) of my wives wore glasses. One (1) of that same gang wore contacts. Without my glasses I cannot read anything unless it is very close and very big.

My friend, Marcia, had the laser surgery.....and she loves it and has been trying to talk me into it. No way. I am a chicken.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Left: 15/20
    Right: 13/20

Just had them tested last week. Only if my hearing was as healthy.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I don't have a clue, but I know I need glasses for distance (astigmatism) and for reading (middle age).

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm not sure of the numbers, but my vision is pretty good. One time they tried to make me where reading glasses, but I didn't need them.

I do believe I am left-eyed.

However, I am right-handed.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Glasses since 3rd grade, now have progressive lens,

wear them from waking to turning off the lights.

Dominance: naturally right eye dominant despite power difference.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I'm not sure of the numbers, but my vision is pretty bad. Astigmatism in my left eye and short sighted in my right.

I wear glasses at work and I wear contacts when I go swimming or go out at night. I can't wear my contacts all the time because they can't make the prescription that I need for my astigmatism so I make do with something close to it. But if I wear my contacts during the day I have to wear sunglasses because I experience really bad glare due to the prescription being not quite right. Hence why I wear glasses to work.

I first got glasses when I was 5 but didn't need to start wearing them all the time until I was about 14.

When I finished graduate school I moved to southern Illinois for my first job. I had to get an Illinois drivers license. I barely passed the vision test. My vision must have deteriorated slowly because I had no idea how bad my eyes really were. I went for an eye exam and put on my first pair of glasses at age 24.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Not sure what my numbers are but I have had glasses since the 5th grade, contacts since the 7th grade.

Actually have a eye appointment at 11:30 this am so I will report back with my numbers.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Only person in my family without glasses or contacts. 20/20 both eyes.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Left is my dominant eye (right handed). Started wearing reading glasses a few years ago, but don't use them as much as I should

At about age 33 I started to notice that I was having trouble reading illuminated street signs from a distance. Vision is about 20/50 in each eye. Left eye is dominant. Wear glasses pretty much all the time (although I can read the morning paper without them). Still do not need progressives.

Discovered that I have a coroidal naevus behind my left eye. My doctor makes sure to watch it so that it isn't growing.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2001
    not sure what the xx/20 equatres to, but my corrections are -7.00 left and -7.25 right. Basically, I'm the sight-equivallent of Vemla from Scooby Doo. When the cat knocks my glasses off the night stand, I'm screwed.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    My corrections are -9 right eye, -8 left eye with even worse astigmatism. I also have trouble with sudden changes in light because I had the chicken pox when I was high school.The pox moved into my eyes, causing nerve damage. I'm right eye dominant.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2002
    I don't know what the numbers are, but I'm near sighted. I wear glasses most of the time, but wear contacts if I'm going to do something really athletic.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I am near-sighted and wear contacts most during the day, but wear the glasses for an hour or two in the morning and night.

I have needed sight correction since I was 7.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    20/20 both eyes, but am beginning to experience early signs of presbyopia (that's why you need to start using reading glasses or bifocals in your 40's)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2002
    20/20 here, too. I expect to need reading glasses in about 10 years though.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    not sure what the xx/20 equatres to...
    20/40 means that at 20 feet, you see what people with "perfect" vision see at 40 feet. Something along those lines.

I don't think they use these measurements for nearsightedness though.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I read the line below 20/20 with both eyes--I don't remember what that is though. Both of my parents have excellent vision; they are both in their mid-fifties and still don't need reading glasses!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Blind as a bat!

I have been wearing glasses since the second grade (oh joy) and finally got contacts at the end of high school. I am quite myopic.
    Have been considering the Lasik surgery, but since I do a lot of sewing, it's helpful to be able to take my glasses off and be able to work close up to see all the stitches. But, the idea of being able to wake up and see clearly is appealing.

Corrected left: -4.25
    Corrected right: -4.75
    slight double astigmatism

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Minor astigmatism and I cannot see at distance too well.

I only wear my glasses while driving and seeing presentations/meetings.

It does seem to be getting to the point where I have to wear them all the time except when reading on working on the computer.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I have no idea. I havn't had a real eye exam in 25 years. I've never worn correction glasses but I'm preparing myself to make an appointment for an exam. Went as far as looking in the phone book for a doctor. Starting to have problems focusing in the evenings after using this computer all day now that I'm in my 40s. Night vision isn't as good either.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Vision triangles
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 02 Mar 2012, 12:36 PM
  2. Vision triangles
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Dec 2009, 11:20 AM
  3. Replies: 4