Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What is your vision / eyesight?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have 20/20 in my left eye and 30/20 in my right. I sometimes need glasses when I read a lot and my eyes get tired, but I haven't used any for about two years now because that problem seems to be getting better.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    blind as a bat without my contacts. I have an eye condition called kerataconous, which basically is the thinning of the cornea which results in an extremely cone shaped cornea. Glasses do not improve your vision, so you are stuck with contacts. the condition worsens to the point that in about 50% of patients, they need a cornea transplant.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Another blind as a bat candidate.

Think my prescription is a -5 or so. Just about time to go for a new prescription.

On ehint to eye glass wearers, the nikon ICE system of lens is ultra clear and pretty tough (except for heat). No scratches and very little coating wear in about 1.5 years. other lbrands of lenses have not lasted as well and been as clear for as long.

Forgot, i started wearing glasses when i was 7
    Last edited by donk; 07 Oct 2005 at 1:44 PM.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I started in glasses when I was 6, switched to contacts when I was 17, and then back to glasses at 24. Along with being nearsided, I had a major amount of astigmatism in both eyes. My astigmatism was so bad that my contacts wouldn't fit anymore. In February I made the leap and had LASIK done. It's the best money I've ever spent!

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I don't know what my vision is, I know I cannot see a thing without contacts or glasses. I wear contacts during the day and glasses in the evening around the house...
    I am deciding on LASIK currently, I think I am going to have it done next year. I lose contacts often and the $$ spent each year on replacement (oh, I forgot to add that I wear gas permeable, hard lenses, I like them much better) lenses I could use towards surgery. I want to wake up in the morning and be able to see, ride in a convertable and not have to worry about my lense flipping out of my eye (yes it happened this summer), swim in a pool and let the boys splash me without screaming about my stupid contacts...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I should have been a pilot.

20/15 in both eyes.

Or, -.25 left and -.50 right eye.

And now I sit staring at computer's all the time... bah.
    Mitchbaby: Proud to be a :canada: planner and a :canada: surfer

Registered
    Feb 1998
    20/400 in one eye. Refused wear glasses when 16. Taking the exam for my drivers license, I found that there is a way to cheat on an eye exam.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    20/650 in both eyes. I was cursed with bad genetics on both sides! Darn heredity.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Jump-starting an old thread.....

This Bear's eyes are getting worse.....or at the least, my current script is just not the right script. Yesterday morning, while visiting a Lowe's (big box) to pick up items for a home project, I had a lot of trouble seeing descriptions on packaging, etc. I almost went to ask for help reading the info but I was too embarassed.

Time for another vision check-up. It's been about 3 years.

Four-Eyes Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    was blind as a bat until Jan 19 when I had LASIK now I have perm screwed up vision, at least 6 of everything from the view inside my eyes and all sorts of screwy smears. Yes I can see to get around without glasses now (before I was toast if I left them some where, Id never find them again) but now I have "bug vision"

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

Also Blind

20/500 in the left and 20/350 in the right....worn glasses since I was 9 when the annual eye exam at school picked up I had a problem. Glasses have improved dramatically since I was a kid and the ultra thin lenses and lightweight frames aren't so bad. The only thing that annoys me is when the little office assistant comes in before the eye doc and asks me what line I can see on the chart....and my reply is a terse "Nothing!" and she says "Well can you at least try?" and then I say "Well can you at least read the chart before you come in here then you would know I can't see anything."

Thought about LASIK but decided the 10 valium + $$$$ needed to get me into the chair in order to have a laser come at my eye wasn't worth it.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek
    20/500 in the left and 20/350 in the right....worn glasses since I was 9 when the annual eye exam at school picked up I had a problem. Glasses have improved dramatically since I was a kid and the ultra thin lenses and lightweight frames aren't so bad. The only thing that annoys me is when the little office assistant comes in before the eye doc and asks me what line I can see on the chart....and my reply is a terse "Nothing!" and she says "Well can you at least try?" and then I say "Well can you at least read the chart before you come in here then you would know I can't see anything."

Thought about LASIK but decided the 10 valium + $$$$ needed to get me into the chair in order to have a laser come at my eye wasn't worth it.
    I too am blind as a bat. Between being nearsighted as all get out and a double astigmatism, it's all I can do to find my way out of a paper bag. Actually, the contacts are fine and glasses when I'm around the house or doing close work or just lazy.

I got my first glasses at age 7 and then switched to contacts at 17. I am considering the LASIK surgery but am very chicken about the whole thing. I keep telling myself that if my mother can have cataract surgery I can do this. But even though I put my fingers in my eyes every day I am strangely squeamish. And now with PlannerGirl having had her eyesight get worse, I'm even more jittery.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Annually I get the full exam because I am diabetic, great vision plan,
    latest not much change in my presciption which is over -10
    but did find a cloudy spot that will have to be watched.
    Last edited by JNA; 01 Jun 2006 at 10:05 AM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I am -4.75 in both eyes and consider myself blind with no glasses. I pity those who are blinder than I.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    my contacts prescription is -8.75, my glasses are -9.5

the crazy thing is that due to my insane near sightedness - i actually have magnified near vision - although more so in my right eye.

started glasses in second grade.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Blind as a bat, been wearing contacts for years now...I have noticed its getting harder to read things close up...I can only imagine neededing bi-focals at 32

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Worn glasses since I was about 15. Tried contacts but found them inconvenient and a lot of maintenance.

Really what bother me is: 1) now I have to take my glasses (even my bifocals) off if I want read or do close up work; 2) some small print is unreadable because if I hold it close I can't read it and if I hold it farther out then it is too small. 3) I can't watch TV lying down because of my bifocal lenses. What a drag it is getting old.

My son and wife have a tendency to show me something by putting it less than a foot from my face. They really needs to step back a couple feet. Or maybe I need to have my arms lengthened.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    [QUOTE=kjelsadek] The only thing that annoys me is when the little office assistant comes in before the eye doc and asks me what line I can see on the chart....and my reply is a terse "Nothing!" and she says "Well can you at least try?" and then I say "Well can you at least read the chart before you come in here then you would know I can't see anything."]

I normally say "wall?, what wall?" I'm doing good just see that there's a chart on the wall. When asked to describe what things look like w/o my glasses, I say, "everything is just blobs fuzzy colors or like looking through a camera that's badly out of focus"
    Last edited by Whose Yur Planner; 01 Jun 2006 at 2:18 PM.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    20/15 both eyes

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Jump-starting an old thread.....

This Bear's eyes are getting worse.....or at the least, my current script is just not the right script. Yesterday morning, while visiting a Lowe's (big box) to pick up items for a home project, I had a lot of trouble seeing descriptions on packaging, etc. I almost went to ask for help reading the info but I was too embarassed.

Time for another vision check-up. It's been about 3 years.

Four-Eyes Bear
    Today I have my appointment with the eye doc. It has been really tough trying to see, the last few months.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

blind in one eye and 20/80 in the other.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I have no idea on the 20-20 scale.

My contacts are -6.5. Last year, they were -8.0 -- a much stronger script. The good news: I don't need such strong contacts anymore. The bad: I can't focus on close-in objects as well as in the past. "Old man vision" kicked in last year, and I'll probably need bifocals in about five years or so. I can read the New York Times just fine, but for very small print or when I'm tired, I have to use reading glasses to knock down the correction to -5.0.

Registered
    May 2003
    Had the eye exam. The good news (although it still requires a new prescription and new glasses) is that my eyes have actually improved a bit. The doc says that this is a common occurence as we age.

The not so good news.....eyes are starting to show little indications of cataracts. He wants to see me again in 12 months, to check the progress.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries

20/20 Vision!!!

Revided the old thread....I woke up today with 20/20 vision...after 30 years of wearing glasses!!. I had the lasik surgery. Was worth the minor discomfort of the procedure. It is a weird experience...but worth it. I am still wearing sunglasses in bright lights.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    My contacts are -4.5 and -5.25. I can't see without them.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Vision triangles
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 02 Mar 2012, 12:36 PM
  2. Vision triangles
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Dec 2009, 11:20 AM
  3. Replies: 4