Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Citizen participation ordinance

Citizen participation ordinance

I have been directed to draft a citizen participation ordinance. Such an ordinance basically requires developers to implement a citizen participation plan for any application they submit (zoning, subdivision, variance, etc.) It's meant to foster effective and meaningful citizen input early in the process (as opposed to getting a certified letter a few days before the public hearing). So far I know of only one in existence, in Glendale, Arizona. My research has turned up nothing. Does anyone know of any other citizen participation ordinances out there? I desperately need to broaden my research.

Registered
    May 1997

citizen participation ordinance

Summit County, UT experimented with this approach in the 80s and it was mostly a disaster. They borrowed it from Hardin County, KY, which lost a major state supreme court decision because (in part) of the confusion this practice can cause. Whoever directed you to write this ordinance has the right impulse -- getting the public involved early -- but the wrong approach. The key is getting the public involved in writing the review criteria so that you don't have to make individual proposals a circus. Let me know if you need more info.

If you have more info, it would help. Our City Council seems to be in sort of a hurry to get this done and I don't want to end up with something that isn't workable and turns into a nightmare for everyone involved. Thank

You may wish to contact Baltimore County, Md

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 01 Feb 2007, 5:20 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 12 Oct 2004, 11:31 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 07 Apr 2003, 11:44 AM
  4. Citizen participation plan
    Land Use and Zoning