Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is Portland the Potemkin Village of planning?

Registered
    May 1997

Is Portland the Potemkin Village of planning?

As a reasonably regular visitor to Oregon over the past 15 years or so, I agree with Rich's assessment that no one else can "clone" the Oregon experience. I would just add that I am not sure there is a valid comparison between what Oregon has done and Washington's far less successful (but equally, if not more complex) growth management program.

The fact that it can't be easily duplicated, should not be allowed, however, to detract from what Oregon and Portland have accomplished. I am sure the imperfections are highly visible from within, but if Rich is not so satisfied with Portland, I suggest that he move to Phoenix for a couple of years!

Registered
    Sep 1997

Is Portland the Potemkin Village of Planning?

I hear there is sunshine in Arizona. : As a reasonably regular visitor to Oregon over the past 15 years or so, I agree with Rich's assessment that no one else can "clone" the Oregon experience. I would just add that I am not sure there is a valid comparison between what Oregon has done and Washington's far less successful (but equally, if not more complex) growth management program.

Is Portland the Potemkin Village of Planning? (Phoenix)

I couldn't agree with this statement any more if it hit me in the head. If there is a city not to emulate, it would be Phoenix. I regrettably happen to live in Phoenix right now, and almost vomit everyday on my way home when I see the sign boasting "America's Best Run City!" What were they smokin' when they did the voting?

Registered
    Sep 1997

Is Portland the Potemkin Village of Planning?

America... love it or leave! Where have I heard this kind of rhetoric before.

Registered
    Sep 1997

Welcome to Portland, the new urbanism Potemkin Village

At last someone is honest about the new urbanism rhetoric.

New Urbanism - The "Pokemon" Village

This guy is tooting himself; I can't really speak to his "honesty"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 23 Apr 2013, 11:35 AM
  2. Village planning
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 25 May 2012, 9:18 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 11 Apr 2010, 4:16 PM