Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One last road trip before the winter weather hits

Registered
    Aug 2001

One last road trip before the winter weather hits

Ok, I'm planning a trip - by car - from Milwaukee to Rapid City South Dakota, with the intent of seeing the Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse momuments with mine own eyes. Realizing that there's nothing but steers and queers in South Dakota, anyone know of any good side trips or diversions along the way?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    You bet!

Custer State Park - Go play with the bison.

Deadwood, S.D. - You can do fun things like visit the Old No. 10 Saloon where Wild Bill was shot. (But the real #10 is down the street at a photo place)

Elk Haven Lodge - If it's still there, and the same people still run it, you'll have some fun. It's on the way to Custer State Park...

Sturgis - To say you've been there, even when the biker run isn't happening. There are still fun places to visit.

Ghost Towns - There are several around, but the folks at Elk Haven can direct you to one right up over the hill from them. Pretty neat stuff...

Badlands - Stop and get out. It is a real interesting thing to see... then imagine crossing them in a wagon.

These are all right around Rapid, though... Not "on the way". From just the other side of Minneapolis to Rapid, there is about ZILCH to see and do. Drive with your eyes closed.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

trip

I'm thinking about going to see the Shanksville site. I won't trust the old car much further.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re: trip

Originally posted by fireboss
    I'm thinking about going to see the Shanksville site. I won't trust the old car much further.
    My girl went to Shanksville High School... I'm sure she could tell you where to eat and such.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    IM thinking of going up to Philly and then on to Falling water for the leaves

D
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    There is another FL Wright house near Fallingwater called Kentuck Knob. Check w/Western PA Conservancy for better info. There is also a little single family FLW home in Greensburg, but you can only drive by and look.

Shanksville is kind of rural. Somerset, Johnstown or Greensburg have places to eat and sleep if you need them, Fireboss.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Mastiff
    You bet!

Deadwood, S.D. - You can do fun things like visit the Old No. 10 Saloon where Wild Bill was shot. (But the real #10 is down the street at a photo place).
    This is a cool town... when I was driving cross-country I needed to get my car repaired here. I started walked around town for a few hours (knowing nothing about the history... hey, I was 16!), and I was amazed at this place. There is a cemetery there on Mt. Morian that is really awesome... James Butler Hickok, Potato Creek Johnny, Martha "Calamity Jane" Canary are all buried there. I stumbled across so many cool things to see... I wish I could have stayed longer.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    IM thinking of going up to Philly

D
    An excellent choice!! Non-stop action, more excitement than NYC

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by Mike DeVuono

An excellent choice!! Non-stop action, more excitement than NYC
    And that's just Mike's avatar!

Registered
    Sep 1998

Last Road Trip For The Year

O.K. here goes nothing.

From the replies so far, it would appear that I am the individual with the greatest number of miles under my belt this year.

In June of this year I flew from Winnipeg to Ontario and then drove from there all the way up to Inuvik, Yukon.

Tomorrow evening, I'll be driving back to Ontario from western Manitoba (across North Dakota and down through Michigan's UP). Once I'm back in Ontario, I'll be flying from Toronto to Amsterdam and then driving up through Germany to Denmark (to see family). From this point, I'll be driving back to Amsterdam , flying back to Toronto and then driving back to Manitoba up through Northern Ontario (I love it up on the north shore of Lake Superior.

Oh yeah, later in December, I'll also be flying home to Ontario for Christmas.

All in all, I will have travelled more this year than at any point in my life. It's nice to get out and see abit of the world.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Hmmm... I bet I at least take the #2 spot.

Late last year - Flew to Oregon from Missouri and back.
    January - Drove from Mo to OR, via Nebraska (yuck)
    February - Flew from Oregon to MO and back (Grrr... ex-wife should be shot)
    May - Flew to MO from Oregon, then drove the family back via the southern route. (Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Etc.)
    Since - Numerous week-end trips in the Northwest.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I wanna go to Amsterdam!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Inuvik! I've wanted to do that one. Tell me more.

As for my travels this year:
    Jan - flew from Milwaukee to LA, drove to Death Valley, Sequoia, Monterrey and back to LA.
    May - drove to southern Utah and back
    June - drove to Ontario, north shore of Lake Superior
    July - Michigan's upper penninsula, south shore of Lake Superior
    August - Door County, WI, north shore of Lake Michigan
    September - flew to San Francisco, drove over most of northern California, just got back!

One week of vacation remaining. Where should I go?

As for South Dakota, the Badlands are worth a day, but plan to spend more time in the Black Hills. I was there this time a couple years ago. The leaves were changing and it was stunning. Devil's Tower is not far away in Wyoming. Still further west, the Wind River Range is nice, but there will be a lot of hunters going after the elk. The best donut I have ever eaten is in Thermopolis, Wyoming, where there is also a nice historic hot springs hotel. On the subject of food, if you have never eaten Buffalo, try it. Same for the elk.

Oh, have we all forgotten Wall Drug?

Registered
    Sep 1998
    Originally posted by Michael Stumpf
    Inuvik! I've wanted to do that one. Tell me more.

Oh, have we all forgotten Wall Drug?
    Mike:
    The trip north was grand, I went in June so the bugs were not out yet and neither were many campers. Dawson City was interesting and had a lot of historic sights - Pierre Burton's home.

If I were to head that way again, I would go as far north as Dawson city, but wouldn't go up the dempster highway (gravel road/path) again. There is only one gas station between Dawson City and Inuvik at the 1/2 way point and fuel up there costs 1.00/litre (Cdn). Highway # 5 from Dawson, YT to Chicken, Alaska affords the traveller spectuacular views and is well worth your time.

On the way south, I htravelled down through Northern BC and passed through Banff and Jasper too.

If Irecall correctly, I did 10,000kms in just over 2 weeks.

As for your coments on the Dakotas, I've been to Wall Drug and hit the "Corn Palace and a couple of antique car museums out that way - once is enough. Saw those sights when I drove west from Ontario out to BC in 1986 during Expo '86.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thanks for all the tips!

My land rover took a sh*t last week and no one can find the parts. I spant 9 days tracking down one friggin brake caliper (dealer price was 300% of what I eventually found it for) so I'm dealyed at least a week or so 'till all parts arrive. And next time I'm buying American.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    A Land Rover? Never buy a British car. Or American, for that matter. We have not made a really great car in decades. I am enjoying my Subaru - the SUV/car compromise.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Michael Stumpf
    A Land Rover? Never buy a British car. Or American, for that matter. We have not made a really great car in decades. I am enjoying my Subaru - the SUV/car compromise.
    Agreed. My other cars are a '98 Subaru Outback Sport and a '70 Ford F-250 Custom pick-up. The Subaru has horrible front seats - not comfy for long drives - and the pick up is a Sunday driver.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I have probably got you all beat from travel this year as I work for an airline. I've been to Zurich, houston, New Orleans, Hawaill (for a wedding) and Milan for a weekend, not to mention the few times i've flown home to say hi to the folks. I am planning a trip in two weeks for a long weekend in Amsterdam and a trip to Paris in December.

However, I have a question. How many weeks of vacation do you have and how many days off for holidays etc.

I get 1 week until I have been here for 5 years, Then 2 weeks. I can buy a second week, they deduct 2% of my paycheck over the year so you barely notice. I also get Christmas Day, New Years, labor day, memorial day, and Thanksgiving and two more that i cant think off of. What about you?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We get 2 weeks before 5 years, then an additional week. We also get one floating (personal) holiday in addition to the holiday schedule.

Management level folks usually negotiate better vacation schedules (usually in the form of schedule + X days per year)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Oh, we also get 1/2 day for Good Friday, but its called "SPRING HOLIDAY" so we don't get sued by the ACLU.

We get the day after Thanksgiving and New Years Eve too!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    After one year, we get three weeks vacation. I can't remember when it goes up to four weeks - probably after 10 years or something.

We get New Year's Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, Simcoe Day, Labour Day, Thanksgiving, Remembrance Day (if it falls on a weekday), Christmas Day, and Boxing Day off. We also get two personal float days.

I used up my vacation this year with the wedding and honeymoon. Next year we're hoping to go to England, and I'd also like to get back into doing some road trips, which I haven't been able to do for a couple of years now.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Ah, I have to basically use my vacation days to get off on christmas eve and the day after thanksgiving for all of that. Geez those benefits sound really nice and i work in management.

The hardest part about working for an airline is the cheap flights are only useful when noone else is flying. i end up by tickets for thanksgiving and christmas like everyone else.

I have not had a full week of vacation off since I started working for the airlines in the last 3 years...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Contractual management (i.e. city manager, police chief and me) negotiate their vacation. I started with three weeks and after six years I have... three weeks. I'll need to work on that one.

We get the usual holidays: New Years Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and the day after, and Christmas and the day before or after.

Management also get flex time. Although I usually work far more than 40 hours a week, I will often use "flex time" to add a travel day to vacations.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our flex time for salaried / management is not official, and can change with the graces of the administration. We aren't suppossed to use it for more than 4 hours at a crack, and don't keep a "bank" of time.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    My flex time is dissapear when the boss does or I can convince her that i need to catch the 3:00 flight to Milwaukee instead of 6:00. I wish I could bank it. For about 3 weeks in August-Sep I was putting in over 90 hours a week on the budget.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Winter Weather Preparation
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 11 Jan 2012, 10:12 PM
  2. Replies: 49
    Last post: 29 Nov 2006, 7:45 PM
  3. Road Trip 10/06/06.........
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14