Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: YAY! TV is back!!!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Or the WKRP episode when they talk to the expert who thinks that children are aliens. Why, look at how small and immature they are, nothing like adults. Or any episode with Mrs. Carleton's house boy Hirsch. Or when Johnny goes disco and talks about the young girls.

If I had to have a cubicle / open office, I think I'd tape it like Les'. I think it would tell alot about people if they got it.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2001
    How could I forget....Third Watch starts on Monday!!

The Power of Cable

Its truly surprizing how many folks actually watch local cable tv. And it makes a difference. Once the citizenry saw how boinkers (love those technical terms) one particular city council member was, they chose not to re-elect him. And you can have fun messing with people's minds....Returning form executive session the cable snaps back on and viewers hear the planner saying "I can't believe you were saying that about ....oh, are we on?" And our board/commision members would always say hello to one of their colleagues wives who watched all of the meetings.

Registered
    Sep 1998

"Must See" TV

My current favorite is a series of taped for TV extracts on CBC TV originally produced as a a series of one man (multiple character) theatre plays centering on the trials and tribulations surrounding a Toronto stockbroker who moves out into the sticks to farm like his ancestors.

The avitar I use as my online persona is the main character "Walt Wingfield".

In one play, the stockbroker turned gentleman farmer has to fight a sneaky land developer who wants to build condos right across the road from his hobby farm.

You simply can't beat "Letters From Wingfield Farm" for laugh out loud humor (some of it even planning and development related. Catch 2 episodes of the series on Friday evening on CBC TV at 8:00pm..

Should anyone be interested in audio/video tapes of the plays, they are available through the Stratford Festival. Alternatively, the books are written by Dan Needles.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by tbombadill
    Why are there no TV shows about planners?

For example, I would sit comfortably for a half-hour of CSI:Miami, followed by ZHB: Toledo. I'll even pitch the first episode:

Drive-through beer store wants to expand to include a bikini car-wash. Then the viewers call-in-Approved or Denied? It's a money maker.

I see the sponsors lining up already.

Herve Villechaize could be the Zoning Officer (except now, he's saying "The plane is too close to the residential neighborhood, boss!)

Well, that turned into a long rant...
    Isn't Herve dead? How about we get Carroll O'Connor to reprise his Archie Bunker role as a zoning officer. "Aw geez, the dingbat wants to put a Starbucks where the donut shop is."

I'm looking forward to the Simpsons and Futurama, Will & Grace, and a low-budget favorite, What's My Line. Ryan Stiles cracks me up.

I can't say that any of the new shows I've heard about sound all that good. Rebel doctors who care more about their patients than corporate profits, fighting the system at a greedy hospital - what an exciting, original concept! I give it two episodes.

Registered
    Jul 2002

tv

Originally posted by Michael Stumpf

Isn't Herve dead? How about we get Carroll O'Connor to reprise his Archie Bunker role as a zoning officer. "Aw geez, the dingbat wants to put a Starbucks where the donut shop is."

I'm looking forward to the Simpsons and Futurama, Will & Grace, and a low-budget favorite, What's My Line. Ryan Stiles cracks me up.

I can't say that any of the new shows I've heard about sound all that good. Rebel doctors who care more about their patients than corporate profits, fighting the system at a greedy hospital - what an exciting, original concept! I give it two episodes.
    Hate to break it to ya, but Carroll O'Connor's dead too.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by Michael Stumpf

I also used to love Who's line, until I read that they tape over 4 hours of footage to get 30 minutes. But Wayne Brady is my favorite.

Registered
    Jul 2002

I've never seen the Sopranos

But I wanted to let you know that the stuff in the show is real. The strip club is really one by the same name on route 46 north of the meadowlands, I've been told. never been to one in Jersey. Not a good investment. Don't like juice bars and don't like seeing no nudeity at all -its worse than a beach). But in last weeks show I was told they were "buying some warehouses on Freilinghuysen Ave from Omni in Newark right near the Port that was going to be worth some money. Well, there is a Freilinghuysen which is accross a highway from the Port of Newark and the Newark int'l airport. There is also a company that we deal with called omni who is based on the same avenue who i do business with on a daily basis. I don't want to watch the show now. Its too real to be fun.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. I'm Back!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 23 Jan 2007, 2:49 PM
  2. I am Back!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 03 Mar 2006, 9:32 PM
  3. And we're back!!