Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Loud auto stereo/subwoofer ordinances

Loud auto stereo/subwoofer ordinances

We have been fighting for some peace from loud car stereos that pass by our homes while "cruising." It is so severe that it has made windows rattle, and pictures fall off the walls in several of our communities. The state of Michigan has taken this situation out of the hands of local law enforcements and into congress. The only tickets that may be written to the "soon to be deaf" are tickets of wreckless or careless driving. Does anyone have ordinances or solutions for this situation that we may pass on to our state representatives and members of congress?

Help! Loud vehicle boom boxes in MI - does your area have an

In response to: Help! Loud vehicle boom boxes in MI - does your area have an ordinance? posted by Robin L. on August 11, 2000 at 02:30:08:

Go to your internet search engine and search for "noise ordinances." You'll find several samples there. I know the Madison, Wisconsin ordinance specifically addresses traffic noise. Check it out!

: We have been fighting for some peace from loud car stereos that pass by our homes while "cruising." It is so severe that it has made windows rattle, and pictures fall off the walls in several of our communities. The state of Michigan has taken this situation out of the hands of local law enforcements and into congress. The only tickets that may be written to the "soon to be deaf" are tickets of wreckless or careless driving. Does anyone have ordinances or solutions for this situation that we may pass on to our state representatives and members of congress?

In response to: Help! Loud vehicle boom boxes in MI - does your area have an ordinance? posted by R Tonn on August 15, 2000 at 13:43:29:

I believe that Troy, N.Y. has an ordinance for noise generated from loud stereos, however, I could not find it on the web. I am a stereo audiofile myself and in turn have a subwoofer in my truck. I can appreciate your point regarding the bass level that is created by these amplified stereos and how it may rumble your house when the vehicle passes by. I am pretty sure that they utilize a decibel meter to take readings because lets face it, "how loud is loud?" I tend to turn mine down a little when I see the police, however, I try not to drive to Troy and I am on the highway a lot (where it doesn't bother anyone). I live near Saratoga, N.Y. The only ordinance I have found that they have is no loud music between the hours of 11:00pm and 7:00am. That is stated for a residential area. Non-residential is between 12:00pm and 8:00 am. I really don't have much guidance to offer to help resolve this problem. It is pretty irritating to listen to this when you are trying to spend a quiet evening at home. Police always receive calls for a loud stereo in a residence, but what do you do when the noise is mobile? They need to issue tickets like Troy, N.Y does in hopes that it will better control the problem. Good luck!

In response to: Help! Loud vehicle boom boxes in MI - does your area have an ordinance? posted by Robin L. on August 11, 2000 at 02:30:08:

I had a friend in the army that had a device that could blow out those annoying travelling boom boxes you hear headed you way a mile away. Before I could learn more about it he was restationed. I'm sure they are illegal, but then so should loud car and home stereos. I would use one if I could, and love every second of it! I'm not sure but it must be some sort of energy blast that overloads the offenders speakers. Does anyone know about obtaining one?

: We have been fighting for some peace from loud car stereos that pass by our homes while "cruising." It is so severe that it has made windows rattle, and pictures fall off the walls in several of our communities. The state of Michigan has taken this situation out of the hands of local law enforcements and into congress. The only tickets that may be written to the "soon to be deaf" are tickets of wreckless or careless driving. Does anyone have ordinances or solutions for this situation that we may pass on to our state representatives and members of congress?

Help! Loud vehicle boom boxes in MI - does your area have an ordinance?

The City of Lakeland Florida recently enacted a loudness ordinance for boom boxes, etc noise coming from passing motor vehicles. You should call Steve Bissonet at the Lakeland city planning department

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Say it loud! I'm ____ and I'm proud!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 54
    Last post: 21 Jul 2008, 12:33 PM
  2. Auto Eye for the Family Guy
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 27 Oct 2003, 2:41 PM
  3. One Auto Family
    Transportation Planning