Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Interpreting zoning ordinances and legal ramifications

Interpreting zoning ordinances and legal ramifications

I am interested in learning about the interpretation of Zoning Codes as they relate to law. For instance, when a Code is interpreted for the purpose of providing a lender information with regard to the zoning compliance of a property, would this be considered as taking any type of legal license or issuance of a legal opinion?
    Are you aware of any cases in which this may have occurred or any instances in which you foresee this occurring?
    Thanks for your time!

Interpreting Zoning Ordinances and Legal Ramifications

Most zoning codes provide for a designated official (the in-house expert) to provide for code interpretations, as well as an appeal process when a customer does not agree with the interpretation. It is not uncommon for the official, however, to consult with a staff attorney before rendering an opinion. I would think that the process, as adopted by ordinance, would not be considered overstepping the boundaries of the official's office, any more than rendering a staff opinion on a rezone or land use amendment would be.

I am interested in learning about the interpretation of Zoning Codes as they relate to law. For instance, when a Code is interpreted for the purpose of providing a lender information with regard to the zoning compliance of a property, would this be considered as taking any type of legal license or issuance of a legal opinion?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 13 Jan 2009, 12:06 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Dec 2006, 3:22 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 18 Jul 2003, 5:02 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Nov 2002, 2:21 PM
  5. Examples of zoning ordinances
    Land Use and Zoning