Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: help>>>industrial cities..(light industry)

help>>>industrial cities..(light industry)

Hi
    I want information and/or examples of industrial cities, especially cities that are involved in light industries and crafts, if that's not possible industrial cities would be ok.
    thank you

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    well, I think pretty much every city in the world has some form of industry going on in it - that's one of the reasons why cities came about in the first place - a central meeting place for the exchange of goods and services.

If you're looking for examples of cities reliant on industry, or that were founded on industry, there are lots of examples of those spread all over the world too.

I'm not sure exactly what it is you're looking for. Some for information would be helpful.

Dayton Ohio is a city with a heavy concentration of industry

well ok.. what I'm looking for sites that have information (land use, site analysis, ...) about NEW industrial cities.
    I'll tell you my project, it's designing a small city 1900 fedans for small industries and crafts.. there would be no factories, may be small ones but mainly work shops.. if you can help me find examples for anything like that I'd appreciate that so much.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    What's a fedan?

Anyway, let me get this straight. You are designing a completely industrial city? No residential, commercial, etc.?

Sounds like an interesting concept, I have no ideas of examples however. Is this city going to be zoned? Heavy manufacturing here, textiles there, chemical production over here?

Where is this located?

I'm not sure about the spelling, it could be fadden (1 Fadden = 4200 kilometers)
    Sorry I made a mistake I'm going to PLAN this area, that means I'll do only zoneing and land use for this whole area. I will only do a detailed design for an area of 200 faddans in the city. Sence I live in Egypt the project would be in a place neer Cairo. It would be for light industries and crafters. We have a lot of examples like that in Egypt, what I want is an example in another country to do comparison.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    There aren't many new industrial cities that are planned out from scratch. Northwest Landing in Dupont Washington is a planned community with business park, residential, industrial, etc. Although, Egyptian development and industry is very different than in the United States. It is about 3,000 acres... I have no idea how many faddens that is.

One of the most interesting concepts I have seen in awhile is the village of New Oroville in India. It is a private village created by Catalytic Software that places high tech workers in a sustainable village environment. Information about the village is on the software website.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    This is where Dan usually chimes in with some sort of intelligent response or cut and past from a project he has recenly done

I'm all outta faddens on this topic.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm at a loss for "planned from scratch" but there are a lot of warehouse districts throughout the US that promote live-work opportunities, usually in the arts but not industry. Its very interesting to compare your concept to them.

A Google search on "live work space" yields a ton of sites.

BTW - This thread's avatars are chock full of vixens and beer.
    I like!

L O L

Guess what I found out.. "the fadden" IS "the acre"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Example of new industry on old industrial land
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 22 Sep 2011, 9:52 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Apr 2009, 1:14 AM
  3. Employment per sq ft - light industrial & distribution