Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What does it mean to be a street planner vs. the elitist suburbanites

What does it mean to be a street planner vs. the elitist suburbanites

Growing up I lived in a small rural town. I knew I was different and had a hard time socializing with my peers, until I went to collage. As I made the move to the metropolitan arena it became obvious that this is where I belonged. This new urban lifestyle and the social networks that I came into contact with, has made the most dramatic change in my life. I now know who I am and what my goals are. Now here comes my beef with todays babyboomer left over conservative "policy makers" who at night take there new flashy hunter green oldsmobiles '98s back to there suburbanite safety of home at 5:00 p.m.. How is it that these people (established planners) feel that they can make an accurate decision as to the future lives of the people of the urban environment that they work for,but dont have contact with or even live near. Tell me, how many working planners has ever had the experience of having an assault shotgun put to there forehead and held hostage for an hour and a half while trying to make ends meet while working at a convenience store, how many established planners have spent a year of there life cleaning office building at night so that there educational needs are taken care of, and how many established planners go to work every night with only there house keys and a dollar because while cleaning these office buildings at night they are roaming in and out of the dark alleys of the down town urban fabric. Everyday I experience these thing and everyday I take my education(BA in environmental design) and apply it to the REAL street experiences of my everyday life. Although this might sound like a bitch session I do enjoy experiencing true underground street life. I organize musical events that celebrate this new aesthetic of the underground street life, these musical events start at 12:00am and last until 8:00am and are held in old downtown abandoned warehouses. Do you know what it feel like to listen to completely electronic music in a collapsing ,almost gothic degradation of the urban fabric of life. Well I have and I have also paid my way through collage to only now be sitting in front of a computer wondering why people dont understand my way of life and why I am looked down on and why my environment becomes more and more violent everyday with more building vacancies and business window signs that all read going out of business. What I dont understand is how the people and I of the urban street life can survive. And how is it that our voice is never heard only glamorized by the 6 O’clock news a war zone for higher ratings. And as these trends continue the separation grows further and further distant between those with the excess money who make the decisions (suburbanites) and those who need to be invested in. Why is it that my voice and the hundreds of intelligent people like me are not heard I have seen with the eyes of the street the continuing polarization of our society and with those “policy makers” continuing there trek to the suburbs every night, blinding themselves from the true reality of the urban fabric, I can personally assure that this future will bring the next revolution.

what does it mean to be a street planner vs. the elitist su

VskitV:

Whew! Unlike the other people who in being inconsiderate simply berate you on your spelling, I want to speak to what you're really saying.

Just who are you looking for validation from? You will not get it from other "established planners", nor should you seek it from them. It's just the way our cards are dealt to us: not everyone will have or take the oppportunity to "experience the urban fabric" as you put it, in any of the examples you mention. I have enjoyed the thrill of ambient music in my ears at 3am, and the terror of assault just because you are there. But this is far from a pissing match comparison.

Your true issue that you raise is a vital one for the longevity of the planning profession to answer from the bowels of the academia that puts us all out there, no matter what our individual experience. That issue is, who are we planning for? What are we planning against?

The volley is made, and now I await the return...

what does it mean to be a street planner vs. the elitist su

My suburban planning commission would eat this person alive. Stick to the raves, kid.

Registered
    Apr 2013

non sequitur ?

This would be the equivalent of an indigenous population being mad at you (the environment scientist) for not living in the Amazon and experiencing spider bites. Are you going to be the person shot with a blow dart? The subterranean culture you're so proud of actually probably isn't a positive impact for your city. If it is indeed a derelict building, there are huge liabilities to pumping in masses of people to a leed paint filled tetanus box to listen to music. Do your home brewed concerts provide tax revenue? I doubt it.

I agree that context is important and planners have a responsibility to make decisions from street level, but I don't expect to see any planning directors at drug filled raves to see the urban fabric"anytime soon.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Wow, a 15 year thread bump? Now that's gotta be some kinda record!! Just think, someone now graduating from high school was in day-care when that thread was started. I hope VskitV finds the response worth the wait.

(raves? wow, what a 90's thing to say, but then again it WAS the 90's!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Is this some kind of a prank? Their post dates precede their sign-up dates? I am a member since 2008 but I posted this is 1998? When people like us were trying to figure out what to do about Raves. When Raves were still underground and hadn't been co-opted by the establishment posers pretending to be cool. Style-theft of the hip aside, let me just add my two cents: (clears throat) What the hell?
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Those 98 Oldsmobiles were kinda hot though. You have to admit that.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

coming form the last year of the baby bommers' reign, I must say never trust anyone under 40!

At least it's in FAC so we don't have to conjure up a professional-sounding response...

hilldweller - oh yeah - loved my Olds station wagons in the 80's - you could fit a whole party in one!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Just think 15 years ago.....Clinton was in the middle of his 2nd term....a lot of folks had 14.4 or 28.8 dial up for internet access....The Minnesota Vikings were an NFC central force to be reckoned with...

help me out here guys - what is different in the world now from 1998?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Just think 15 years ago.....Clinton was in the middle of his 2nd term....a lot of folks had 14.4 or 28.8 dial up for internet access....The Minnesota Vikings were an NFC central force to be reckoned with...

help me out here guys - what is different in the world now from 1998?
    I'm married.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Yes, in 1998, I was still handwriting my memos and giving them to a secretary to be typed - the fax machine was in constant use - no emails, only internal memos or letters/memo's outsdie of town hall - I drew my maps (wait, I still do that) - I did not have office voicemail, only messages on paper

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Do you suppose that VskitV would have a different experience and better spelling if he/she had gone to college instead of collage?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Oh I used to love making magazine cut out collages when I was a kid...

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Oh I used to love making magazine cut out collages when I was a kid...
    Just think, 15 years ago illinoisplanner woulda been in like 2nd or 3rd grade!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    ofos would still be old. :p
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    ofos would still be old. :p
    Could somebody help me raise a yellow card for that egregious foul?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I winced if that helps but... well, yeah...

Registered
    May 2005
    I consider myself to be an elitist suburbanited. So you all can go to hell.

I was working at KFC and attending community college.

I was living with my brother and a buddy.

Me and the buddy had both been accepted at the same university starting in the winter of '99.

It would be 2 years to the day that my future wife and I would go on our first date.
    Last edited by btrage; 04 Apr 2013 at 2:25 PM.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Fifteen years ago I was interning at my first job. It was my job once in a while to go down and pick up the giant aerial photos we used to order. Remember those? Oh, good times....In fact, I remember taking a class at collage (that's how I'm spelling it now) on aerial photo interpretation. That was before every 9 year old in America knew how to find his house and then look at it in street view.

I think Google may have done more for democracy than Thomas Jefferson.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Actually 5th grade. This was the spring, so I was probably taking a class field trip to the Robert Crown Center in Hinsdale, IL to learn about sex and puberty!

The Chicago Bulls still had Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman and had not yet won their 6th championship yet.

And the 15-year-old on-its-last-legs car that I currently drive was probably not even built yet.

And nine of my relatives that are now dead would still be alive!

The Titanic soundtrack was the #1 album and Will Smith's "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" was the #1 single.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post

The Titanic soundtrack was the #1 album and Will Smith's "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" was the #1 single.
    Na-na-na-na-na-na-Na, Na-na-na-na-na-NA!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Could somebody help me raise a yellow card for that egregious foul?
    Truth is the best defense against libel.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Dec 2008
    i was in 9th grade, living in the city, and got mugged on the bus! i'm a planner. holy buckets somebody tell this kid planners do exist.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    Truth is the best defense against libel.
    How about this truth? I'm not denying that I'm old. But all of you that are in the vicinity of 50 have just been labelled old too. Senior Cyburbia villagers...grab your torches,pitchforks, and whacking sticks! It's Whacking Day for whippersnappers!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    It's Whacking Day for whippersnappers!
    Well...15 years from now, I'll be 50....so try to catch me as I briskly walk away from you.....
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Nov 2012, 1:51 PM
  2. Replies: 76
    Last post: 29 Dec 2010, 3:10 PM
  3. Why is it wrong to be elitist?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 10 Nov 2005, 1:35 PM