Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor house lighting

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Outdoor house lighting

Do you have a floodlight on the front of your house?
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    No but I do on the side & rear.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2003
    No, no motion lights either. Of course, the neighboring duplex has a security light that lights my backyard up like Busch Stadium.
    Not valid without corporate seal

Registered
    Jun 2011
    My house is lit up like a Christmas tree at night until I go to bed. I have an attached finished carport. Two sets of two flood lights at the back corners there. Two angle out into the driveway, two towards the back of the house. I have a third set on the rear right corner of the house, but they are too high for me to get to with my current ladder, so they remain dead and useless. I have a new fixture and everything for them too. They'll finish lighting up my back and side yards.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    My house is lit up like a Christmas tree at night until I go to bed. I have an attached finished carport. Two sets of two flood lights at the back corners there. Two angle out into the driveway, two towards the back of the house. I have a third set on the rear right corner of the house, but they are too high for me to get to with my current ladder, so they remain dead and useless. I have a new fixture and everything for them too. They'll finish lighting up my back and side yards.
    What are the benefits of having them on the front?

I get two locations and know I am going to put one on the back of the house, but I am not sure if I want one on the front. There isn't much room on the side of the house, so we might end up with two on the back of the house.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    What are the benefits of having them on the front?

I get two locations and know I am going to put one on the back of the house, but I am not sure if I want one on the front. There isn't much room on the side of the house, so we might end up with two on the back of the house.
    So I can see the carport and whole length of the driveway. The carport has no overhead lights, just the two floods pointing forward.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    So I can see the carport and whole length of the driveway. The carport has no overhead lights, just the two floods pointing forward.
    We have street lights and will have two carriage lights. Our driveway is only 22 feet from the property line and 32 feet to the curb so I am not too worried about it.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Like AG, our house is lit up like a Christmas tree, but we have no floodlights on the front. We've got 10 can lights under the eaves spread evenly across the front of the house, 7 or 8 more along each side of the house, and about 7 or 8 more across the back of the house. Each side of the house is on a different switch so we usually only leave front ones on, along with our the lamp posts at both spots where the half-circle driveway meets the road. We do have a few floodlights along the side and back - the side ones are along the side with the driveway and a side door and are on a motion detector and there are four sets of floodlights along the rear of the house at all the corners. The ones along the rear are nice because they are angled perfectly to really light up the backyard when we are out there in light at night.

The advantage of all the lighting? I think it looks nice and makes the home look especially warm and inviting, especially on warm summer evenings or snowy winter ones. I would actually like to put up more lighting! In the front, I'd like to put in a flagpole with a small floodlight at the base and then some small, low solar lights in the flower beds or along the portion of the driveway in front of the house and lining the walkway. I've seen a few homes in the area that have lights at the base of some of their large trees lighting them up in the evening and we have some nice tall maples and white pine in our backyard that I'd love to do that to. My wife thinks I'm crazy. The only additional light I'll probably actually do at some point is for a flagpole.

I'm not going to win any awards from environmentalists when it comes to lighting.

I go running late at night and early in the morning quite a bit and am always surprised by how many homes don't even turn on a porch light next to the door.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    you people with your floodlights - raping the night sky!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    No, I have an LED photocell light which is very bright and illuminates the whole front of my house. My neighbor from across the street helped my husband wire it up and admired it-I bought him two for his house so now he has them too on his house.

"He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    you people with your floodlights - raping the night sky!
    I don't have any flood lights or outdoor lights of any type other than porch lights. Between street lights and the neighbors security lights, I haven't felt the need to have them. It's not light enought to read a book but I can see enough not to steep on my two dark colored dogs. If I hear something in the middle of the night, I have a 1 million candle portable spotlight by the backdoor.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    - no floodlights, just a porch light.

- his hair is so big he doesn't have to wear a hard hat
    - his hair is so big it protects his virginity
    - his hair is so big poodles say "Daaaamn!"

Not sure if I'll make those last few posts today. Maybe I'll save it for the morning.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO

No floodlight. Streetlight isn't very bright near our house either. We do, however, have two front porch lights are the low-energy equivalent 60 watt bulbs.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    We will be going with LED bulbs in our house to reduce energy costs. If the builder does not install them, I will.

In going back and forth on this, I decided to go with one on the corner of the house up front and one on the corner of the house out back. They will both hang from the soffits.

On the front of the house, we will also have a light on each side of the garage door, 2 can lights on the porch ceiling, and a hanging light above the door. There is also a 2nd floor window in the atrium area so the hurricane lamp that we picked out will also be visible from the street when it's on.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I have three motion detector flood lights. I don't use the electric one on the garage. Instead, I just installed two solar motion detector floods ... one on the garage and one on the back porch that lights the driveway if somebody comes to the gate. They work well ... and will function even in an electrical outage.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I run a 13 watt on the front porch @ about 3c a day

Registered
    Jun 2011
    I guess since this isn't all about floodlights now...

I also have a light at the front door, a wall sconce thing. There is also a lamp post at the front walkway which I desperately need to replace. It's really rusted and looks terrible.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I guess since this isn't all about floodlights now...

I also have a light at the front door, a wall sconce thing. There is also a lamp post at the front walkway which I desperately need to replace. It's really rusted and looks terrible.
    We will have an old school street light between the sidewalk and the curb in front of our house, so we have no need for a lamp post.

I have always thought that the natural gas street lamps that some people have looked awesome. There were a couple in my old neighborhood.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    We will have an old school street light between the sidewalk and the curb in front of our house, so we have no need for a lamp post.

I have always thought that the natural gas street lamps that some people have looked awesome. There were a couple in my old neighborhood.
    There are a couple streets near me where it seems like everybody has the gas lampposts and porch lights and I agree that they look really nice. They would look out of place in my neighborhood though.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    No significant outdoor lighting on my house. Just a couple small sconce lights if needed.

I'm with lp...to hell with you dark sky haters.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    We will be going with LED bulbs in our house to reduce energy costs. If the builder does not install them, I will.

In going back and forth on this, I decided to go with one on the corner of the house up front and one on the corner of the house out back. They will both hang from the soffits.

On the front of the house, we will also have a light on each side of the garage door, 2 can lights on the porch ceiling, and a hanging light above the door. There is also a 2nd floor window in the atrium area so the hurricane lamp that we picked out will also be visible from the street when it's on.
    I got one of these LED light fixtures free when I ordered a fan from them (yes, it was expensive, but I LOVE it) and installed it in our dining room removing the crappy pendant light. It's awesome being able to adjust the brightness and the color of the light in a wide range from warm to cool. https://www.haikuhome.com/lights
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

LOL

Floodlights.....industrial lighting for the home.

For all you dark sky nuts out there...I think the lighting is the least of our worries in my neck of the woods:
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Floodlights.....industrial lighting for the home.

For all you dark sky nuts out there...I think the lighting is the least of our worries in my neck of the woods:
    Add about 100 more cars and busses in that picture and it'd look like Beijing.

I thought the Dust Bowl days ended
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I've got a couple of dark-sky compliant full cut-off sconces on each side of my garage (similar to this), and then porch lights recessed into the porch ceiling. I rarely turn any of them on though--only when I'm expecting company. I like a dark yard and I love staring up at stars. This year I'm also being treated to fireflies for the first time since I was probably in my teens.

Unfortunately, not all of my neighbors share that perspective and try to create artificial daytime all night long.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    My wife and daughter were at the grocery store a couple of days ago and an elderly couple who live on our street recognized them and came over to introduce themselves and say how much they like and appreciate that we keep our house lit up in the evenings and that they really wish that more homes in our neighborhood did the same.

Outdoor house lighting - bringing neighbors together since 2016!
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Lighting Parking lot lighting
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 10 Jun 2005, 8:39 PM
  2. Lighting for pedestrians
    Design, Space, and Place