Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Good-old-boyism

Registered
    Feb 1998

Good-old-boyism

In response to: Good-old-boyism posted by The Mole on August 19, 1998 at 15:00:05:

A guaranteed way to obtain a rezoning in our locality is to start your presentation to the Board by saying, "I have lived in this county all my life...", and then go on to tell your life story. If you can work in a story about your military service, it's in the bag. The Comp Plan has nothing to do with it. How do you deal with this?
    Mole,

And inferred within that presentation is "and your planner has only been here 1-2 years, and won't be here in 2 years". You just keep plugging away, remind the decision makers of past zoning mistakes occasionially, keep your reports and presentations objective (and sometimes wish for legal action against your commission). The real answer lies in the comprehensive planning process. If the commissioners could feel it was their plan, they would be arguing against themselves rather than "that planner from...another state". Work on the plan and its process, get more to buy into it rather than mere lip service. And really relish the successes that you do have. Life would be boring if we "won" all the time. Have you ever called on commission members after a successful yet tough battle to thank them for respecting the comprehensive plan, against their their long time friend and neighbor? A commissioner's life is no bed of roses. Hang in there.

     
    Registered
    Apr 1997

Good-old-boyism

In response to: Good-old-boyism posted by The Mole on August 19, 1998 at 15:00:05:

A guaranteed way to obtain a rezoning in our locality is to start your presentation to the Board by saying, "I have lived in this county all my life...", and then go on to tell your life story. If you can work in a story about your military service, it's in the bag. The Comp Plan has nothing to do with it. How do you deal with this?
    I try and bring ham hocks and chitlins to every commission hearing.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. It's all good
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 87
    Last post: 08 Apr 2011, 12:40 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 05 Mar 2009, 1:50 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Aug 2003, 12:03 PM
  4. Good Day
    Introduce Yourself