Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What makes a great TV commercial?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

What makes a great TV commercial?

TV commercials, it is what pays the bills for the TV stations and networks. People turn on the TV to watch the shows but get the commercials too. Some commercials are better than others. But what makes a truly great TV Commercial?

One commercial that comes to mind is the Chrysler 200 commercial from the super bowl a few years ago:

Interestingly, it came at a time where there was foreign ownership of Chrysler and they needed to find a way to keep the American Car Company concept alive. Eminem had been contacted several times by other companies to use that song and every time he said no, until Chrysler pitched the idea to him as not just being about the car, but in essence a rebranding of the City. Being a big supporter of Detroit, he loved the idea.

I think that is so interesting about this commercial is you get quite far into it before you know it is a car commercial. But it captures your attention quickly and you start asking questions in your mind as the commercial plays out.

What makes a great TV commercial? What are some examples of amazing TV Commercials?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2005
    Hot women and jokes.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Hot women and jokes.
    I think you pretty much nailed advertising to men. I guess it also helps with things like timing like the Chrysler commercial or unexpectedness like the new Masarati commercial. I read a blog somewhere that talked about how much Jaguar talked up their commercial just to have Masarati do nothing pregame, come in and drop the mic on them.

Then again highly annoying commercials are effective. Who doesn't remember the Head On commercials? You apply it to your head. Bad commercial, but effective if you remember it.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I have also noticed there is the follow me commercials... where the camera follows one person who is talking directly to the consumer with sarcastic points as they move through the commercial.

A good example is this for Dollar Shave Club.

It is interesting how much it looks like this new one for 2014 Cadillac ELR
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Another is where it takes a situation that we've all faced at some time or another and twists it in a creative way. Also when it plays on themes that are often restrictive. IMHO, this ad is totally brilliant on many of those levels, including the often lampooned limitations of USA trademark law:

Mike

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Hot women and jokes.
    And cuteness. That works sometimes as well.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What makes Bob Seger so great?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 09 Nov 2006, 11:44 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last post: 24 Mar 2006, 9:45 AM
  3. My new puppy makes five
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 18 Aug 2004, 8:08 AM