Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What makes America great?

     
    Registered
    Apr 1997

What makes America great?

In response to: America posted by Jeffrey Baker on July 20, 1998 at 13:40:47:
    : What makes America great?
    The Marlboro Corporation, Ford trucks with illustrations of Calvin pissing on the Chevy logo, NASCAR racing, Garth Brooks, Super Wal-Marts (God's favorite store), Regis and Kathy Lee, USDA-certified beef, "the best health care system in the world", reptiles that say "Bud-Wei-Ser," leaded gasoline, the Interstate Highway System, the PTL Club, Dollywood, Must See TV, TCBY, Chili's, Applebee's, Bennigan's and every other "Great American Steakery and Drinking Establishment," Lee Iacoca, The Stupor Bowl, "Da Bears", Radon, Dioxin, CFC's, the City of Detroit, truck stops, video poker, wrestlemania, Home Alone III, Washington D.C., Corndog on a Stick, Gas Stations who spell simple english words incorrectly (ie "Kwik Way"), scratch and win lotteries, food stamps, our public school system and Norman Schwarzkopf.

America

The recognition (however forgotten and abused) that government derives power from the people, not vice-versa. The ability to disagree (again, however abused). Generosity (we give a new meaning to "give until it hurts").

Everyone else has their own gimmicks, everyone else tries to expand or discusses their resources. What is really unique about us? A basic premise, even if it's a premise that isn't very well respected in the halls of the "leaders" (and planners).

I'm wondering what everyone's definition of "great" is, since the answers I've read seem so trivial or negative. How can something you disapprove of be "great?"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

BUMP

In the new era of the hairy cheeto Making America Great Again how is it even possible to expand on this post from 1998 - by God that's what we've been lacking all these years.

I wonder what this years list would be just a mere 18 years ago. BTW - people born in 1998 are going to college this year.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    In the new era of the hairy cheeto Making America Great Again how is it even possible to expand on this post from 1998 - by God that's what we've been lacking all these years.

I wonder what this years list would be just a mere 18 years ago. BTW - people born in 1998 are going to college this year.
    Resourcefulness and Opportunity

Fact is it does not matter where you are born, how wealthy your parents were, the color of your skin, your religious or ethnic background, everyone still has the same opportunities of they seek out the resources available to them. Granted access to these resources are more convenient to some than others, but they are still available in some form.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    May 2006
    WE THE PEOPLE make America great!

Our government, our "free market" (try starting a small business in a state like New Jersey or being poor in a state like Arkansas) and many (but not all) aspects of our culture were never great.

Btw I was 7 when this thread was created and in 2nd grade.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The Terminator View post
    Since you bring it up, how would you have responded to the thread at that time? Go ahead. We'll let you post that response now. We've waited this long and can wait just a bit longer to find out.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Since you bring it up, how would you have responded to the thread at that time? Go ahead. We'll let you post that response now. We've waited this long and can wait just a bit longer to find out.
    I would have said:

America is great because its my Country, we make Chevy Caprice Classics and have cool tall buildings! And Power Rangers!! And the President plays saxophone and with cigars! One time my Daddy took me on the Subway to work with him and let me play his computer games with the guns!! Mommy I want to go play in the Ballpit!!!

Than my Mom would tell me "No you cant go in the Ballpit, you'll get Diptheria there!"

At that age I loved buildings, big old Chevy's (neighbor had a '78 Caprice) and my dad was an avid Doom player and would let me watch.

Coincidentally my car was fresh off the assembly line when this thread was being made. No mehanical issues with it in 2016. Subaru Power!

Registered
    Jan 2006

Wow, I've never seen a thread from 1999 bumped before. I didn't realized you could eve do that here. It wasn't till 2001 that Cyburbia got the vBulletin type of forum, I believe.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    We here on Cyburbia ?

somebody had to say it.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

LOL

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post

Fact is it does not matter where you are born, how wealthy your parents were, the color of your skin, your religious or ethnic background, everyone still has the same opportunities of they seek out the resources available to them. Granted access to these resources are more convenient to some than others, but they are still available in some form.
    The exact opposite is true. WOW!
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Tittie bars.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Feb 2004
    They'd have to bring back Hamm's beer and get baseball to drop the designated hitter rule.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Tittie bars.
    My old zoning map has it listed as a "tavern with dance floor"
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post

Umm....no, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally posted by The Terminator View post
    WE THE PEOPLE make America great!

Our government, our "free market" (try starting a small business in a state like New Jersey or being poor in a state like Arkansas) and many (but not all) aspects of our culture were never great.

Agreed and damn you make me feel old.

Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Tittie bars.
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    My old zoning map has it listed as a "tavern with dance floor"
    My planning law professor told us a story about a restaurant that was a dance floor that was actually a tittie bar. He and his PD had to "inspect" said premises to see if it conformed to their designated use. He didn't seem to be the least bit sorry to do that task. A guy in the class asked him how long it took to do the inspection and he said two hours.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Kentucky - bourbon, horses, basketball, state park lodges

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Inventions make America great. We invented rock and roll, the quantum cascade laser, the Chevrolet small block V-8, Coca Cola, the .45, M-1911 pistol, and the 3D printer.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Inventions make America great. We invented rock and roll, the quantum cascade laser, the Chevrolet small block V-8, Coca Cola, the .45, M-1911 pistol, and the 3D printer.
    And the Zamboni...mustn't forget that.

Also...it's a big list of inventions.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmmm

Survey says!

Piss fueled orgies with young hookers

Oh wait....that's Russia.
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Entertainment!

We entertain the world. We have Hollywood, make most of the shows (granted BBC makes better ones) and our star studded talent constantly doing stupid things is just pure laughter.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 16 Oct 2009, 11:19 AM
  2. What Makes a Classic Car?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 30 Jun 2009, 6:39 PM
  3. What makes Bob Seger so great?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 09 Nov 2006, 11:44 PM