Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Rating the hangover remedies

Registered
    Feb 2004

Rating the hangover remedies

What are some hangover remedies that actually work? Which ones don't?

Hair of the dog: I honestly don't know who came up with this one, but their name should be remembered in connection with the likes of: Hitler, Stalin, or Genghis Khan. Cyburbia rating - 1/2 *
    McDonalds bacon, egg, cheese biscuit: its a go-to for convenience, but there are maybe better remedies out there. Cyburbia rating - ***
    Alka Seltzer: given the cornucopia of pharmaceuticals available to the modern world you'd think they could come up with something more effective. Keeping this one down is the trick - ** 1/2

What are some others you've heard of and how many *****'s do you rate them (using a 5 * system)

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I saw a sign in a bar in New Jersey that said the best cure was water, sleep and sex... (I'm ok with that one )

My go to hangover cure is a sausage biscuit, hashbrown and LARGE regular coca-cola from McDonalds. Something about the coke syrup sets my belly right. When I was going through a ton of heavy personal stuff at the end of 2014, my nights involved a couple whiskeys washed down with cheap beer. The next morning, my assistant knew how bad the night before was if I was carrying a McDonald's bag in.

A girlfriend in high school always took 4 advil before falling asleep drunk... I still do that to this day and it works well in setting the stage for the morning after.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Back in the day when I needed it I used:

Goody's powder
    Some aspirin
    A bottle of Gatorade (it's got what hung over people need!)
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    2 or 3 Advil washed down with a propel before passing out, I mean falling asleep.

This usually works great, but is supplemented by a good greasy/sausage or bacon & egg biscuit
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Errrrrr-don't get drunk to begin with?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Errrrrr-don't get drunk to begin with?
    Agreed !

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Pedilite... Gatorade is nothing more than Adult Kool-Aid

A little hair of the dog also helps...as does runny scrambled eggs covered in mayo
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Lately, I try to avoid the hangover by making sure I eat a good alcohol-absorbing meal before and/or while I drink and drink a fair amount of water and have a couple Advil before bed. If I'm drinking for an extended amount of time, I usually try to have some waters in between drinks. I also have to avoid shots nowadays as well as mixing. Both are killer.

If I do push it too far though, continuing the water and Advil in the morning helps. A banana in the morning seems to be good. Bland foods like toast or crackers are good. A lunchtime Whopper meal from Burger King usually gets me back on track as well (the burger and fries absorb things and nourish and the carbonated drink settles the stomach).
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Lately, I try to avoid the hangover by making sure I eat a good alcohol-absorbing meal before and/or while I drink ).
    My friend does that & calls it "eating a sponge."
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    My friend does that & calls it "eating a sponge."
    Big burgers and Barbeque help with that!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    BUMP.

C'mon guys one of our own is in desperate need of our assistance. Cyburbians never leave their wounded behind!

I recommend: a pint or leftover stir fried rice, two Advil, a bottle of Gatorade, and three cups of coffee.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2011
    I just sleep it off. I got a free sample of Drinkwel a few months ago and thought it worked surprisingly well. It's pretty expensive though, so I doubt I'll be using it again.

I really don't get hangovers too often. I find that beer makes for the worst ones. I can do wine or liquor all night and have no issues the next day.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    It took me decades to figure out the correct answer is to not drink so much, if at all . . .

Registered
    May 2002
    A Little Debbie Fudge Round and a 20 ounce Mountain Dew. Slam the Dew and eat the Round in 2 bites. That will give you the sugar boost you need to get well into the morning and then you'll be able to make it to lunch when you can take a nap.
    What do you mean I can't plan? My SimCity has 390,269 people with a 99% happiness rating (1/23/2017)!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Non-doctor back remedies
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 01 Feb 2016, 1:50 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 20 Nov 2015, 3:59 PM
  3. worst hangover
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 64
    Last post: 02 Oct 2008, 10:15 AM