Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is this the way to go?

Is this the way to go?

I just took the plunge and accepted a job as a Planning/Engineering Assistant in a small community in Southern BC

It is only a 3 month position in a very quiet town of about 4000 people. But the money is quite good, and I thing I will learn alot. I really need planningexperience. Right now I am in a digital mapping position, and I don't think it is going anywhere. Do you think I made the right decision?

     
    Registered
    Apr 1997

Is this the way to go?

Yes, definitely. You will gain valuable experience and make yourself more "well-rounded" and valuable to future employers. Plus, if you decide it's not your thing, you're only locked in for a few months. Good luck!

     
    Registered
    Feb 2002

Is this the way to go?

Hey neighbour! I'm in southern BC too. Yes I think you made a good decision. YOu can never tell the future and that first job is always the hardest to get. My first full time position evolved from a contract position. I don't see how being in a job you like where you learn alot can ever be considered a bad choice. Good luck

     
    Registered
    Feb 2002

Is this the way to go?

Oh, I forgot to tell you to ask your new employer to provide you with any Municipal Officer Association job listings while at your new job. They should get regular mailouts almost everytime a local government job is advertised in BC. This can be helpful in your permanent job search. Bon Chance!

+ Reply to thread