Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Co-worker won't pull his weight

     
    Registered
    Feb 2002

Co-worker won't pull his weight

I need some help to try to solve this. I have a major project and I need information from a co-worker related to that project by certain, spaced deadlines. He fails to deliver for whatever reason (usually poor). I still want my co-workers input but I am afraid I will get nothing or what I do get will not be well thought out and I will have to live with the consequences. Any suggestions on how to motivate my coworker? (Boss is ineffective so don't say to go higher up.)

So far I have done an end run around this issue and I can do the project without my coworkers input but the result will not be as satisfactory.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Do you provide any informaiton that the co-worker needs or desires? If so perhaps you could get the request or leave your request and then set up an appointment to meet saying why don't we get together tuesday morning and discus X and Y and take are of it all at once listing the project you want him/her to work on and the one that he/she wants you to work on.

Good advice. This is one of those things that most of us have to deal with at some point in our careers. My experience is that some workers will never deliver on their promises. If that's the case, you need to go into CYA mode and keep a paper trail of notes, meeting minutes, memoranda, phone messages, and so on, to clearly show to the impartial observer wherein lies the weak link. Sooner or later, something hits the fan when a project flops and someone has to answer for it. It may sound Machiavellian, but don't let it be you if it's not your fault.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Cyburbia Weight Loss Plan (TM)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 30 Jun 2014, 10:07 AM
  2. The Holiday Weight Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 07 Jan 2009, 9:31 PM
  3. Bus pull-outs
    Transportation Planning