Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Most Hated Quote Or Comment

Registered
    Feb 1998

Most Hated Quote Or Comment

The "highest and best use" is ... (whatever the applicant wants)

Registered
    Dec 1998

This proposal/project will bring "economic development" and "jobs" to the community. As if a minimum wage-paying employer is going to help attract Fortune 500 companies to the city.

I don't hate this quote, I just find it quite amusing: "We have no objection to unobjectionable uses."
    -from a member of a very well-connected neighborhood association.

"This is what the market demands, we're just responding to the market".

Unknown

: Just curious. Just wanted to know what everyone's most hated word, quote, or phrase related to planning is. I am sure there is some overused cliche out there that just drives you nuts every time you hear it.

: My most hated phrase is "That's Progress!" Seems that whenever I try and argue to someone the evils of suburban sprawl, such as a cornfield being plowed over for a new subdivision of houses, their response is "Oh well, that's progress."

: Aside from wanting to rip their head off, I try and tell them that it's NOT progress. Its fungus. I say things like "That new subdiviion will just add more traffic and pavement onto an already overburdened transportation system/sewer and will line the pockets of developers. The quality of life for everyone else just deteriorates."

: One of definitions for "progress" in the dictionary is "to develop to a higher, better, or more advanced stage." I'd hardly consider a new subdivion of McMansions, "better or more advanced", except maybe advanced as in a disease or fungus.

: But they just don't get it and just dismiss me by saying "Oh well, people have got to live somewhere". (Which, by the way, is my second-most hated phrase.)

: So fellow planners, what's your most hated quote or phrase. It can also be a single word. (Sorry, words like "politician", "yuppie" and "sprawl" don't count because they are just too obvious. I'm looking for something a little more creative...)

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" : Politician's response to planners trying to update ancient regulations to fit a modern, fast-growing city.

Unknown

I always love comments like, "Well, the real estate agent who sold me my house said that empty lot next door/nearby would never be built on" or "Well, I wouldn't have bought my home if I knew the empty lot next door could have that (use) on it."
    It always surprises me how little research prospective buyers do on the neighborhood, and the real estate agents certainly don't point out that adjacent or nearby open space can be filled in with buildings and parking lots. People just assume it will be always be just like it was the day they bought their house, unspoken expectations and all.

My boss: "Yeah, and I'd like a Jaguar too"

He loves to laugh off every single request with this cheesy line.

I have paid taxes for x years, it is my land and I'll do what I want on it.

I'm a veteran! I fought for this country and I'll do what I want

Registered
    May 2003

Frivolous complaints followed by "what's the city going to about it?" Just yesterday I received a call..."My neighbor's leaves keep blowing into my yard, what's the city going to do about it?"

: Just curious. Just wanted to know what everyone's most hated word, quote, or phrase related to planning is. I am sure there is some overused cliche out there that just drives you nuts every time you hear it.

: My most hated phrase is "That's Progress!" Seems that whenever I try and argue to someone the evils of suburban sprawl, such as a cornfield being plowed over for a new subdivision of houses, their response is "Oh well, that's progress."

: Aside from wanting to rip their head off, I try and tell them that it's NOT progress. Its fungus. I say things like "That new subdiviion will just add more traffic and pavement onto an already overburdened transportation system/sewer and will line the pockets of developers. The quality of life for everyone else just deteriorates."

: One of definitions for "progress" in the dictionary is "to develop to a higher, better, or more advanced stage." I'd hardly consider a new subdivion of McMansions, "better or more advanced", except maybe advanced as in a disease or fungus.

: But they just don't get it and just dismiss me by saying "Oh well, people have got to live somewhere". (Which, by the way, is my second-most hated phrase.)

: So fellow planners, what's your most hated quote or phrase. It can also be a single word. (Sorry, words like "politician", "yuppie" and "sprawl" don't count because they are just too obvious. I'm looking for something a little more creative...)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 02 Mar 2010, 5:33 PM
  2. Favorite question or comment
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 23 Mar 2004, 3:33 PM
  3. Your Most Hated Big Box Store
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 26 Jun 2002, 3:40 PM