Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Your experience in meeting mandated municipal site plan review

Registered
    Sep 1998
    Hey There Fellow Hair Pullers!

I work in the site plan review department of a large city in the U.S. northest. I would like to hear from fellow planners in terms of their department's ability to meet their published guidelines in terms of providing plan review service to their clients. For examplke, in my department, site plan review is a 4 step process which involves an increasingly complex level of review the further into the process the applicant advances (Concept Plan Review ==> Technical Site Plan Review). Our department has published "guidelines" which state that each step in the site plan review process will take no longer than 30 business days. These "guidelines" are just that and are not mandated by the zoning or any other ordinance or city council resolution.

I'd like to hear about how things work in other jurisdictions and the degree to which your department is able to meet its plan reivew commitments in terms of satisfying articulated review timframes. I'd also like to know whether you feel these review timelimits are realisitc, codified or given any other force and effect.

I'm damn frustrated with our system as our office requires a standard of service from its reviewing partners e.g. zoning, historic review, engineering etc., which they can not or choose not to satisfy. We have no carrots and certainly lack a stick. (Imagine me sitting behind my computer and using my one free hand to pull what's left of my hair out).

     
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    So where are your bosses? Where are the people who hold other departments accountable? Regulations don't mean didly squat in reality unless there is enforcement and consequences.

I don't know about reasonability. I depends on how complicated things are there.

Registered
    Sep 1998

Your experience in meeting mandated municipal site plan review

Thanks for the replies.

FYI: I do work in a high growth area. Part of the problem with our bureaucracy is that they want to be seen to to all-embracing to the development community (even to those that obviosuly lack the financial expertise and know-how to do development) because it is politically expedient to do do. Our department has a real fear of being perceived of as being exclusionary.

Hopefully with the impending codification of the city's site plan review process, the standard of service provided by our reviewing partners will be forced to improve.

Older, more cynical and still pulling my hair!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Site plan review question
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 14 Jul 2010, 7:35 PM
  2. Big box preliminary site plan review
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 02 Feb 2007, 5:26 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 24 Oct 2006, 3:17 PM