Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Best NIMBY quote

     
    Registered
    Apr 1997

Best NIMBY quote

Currently working with a recreation engineering consultant to get a whitewater park built on a creek that runs through our village core. The plan involves the placement of 3 small (18") waterfalls in the creek. An adjacent condo association owner spoke against the proposal monday night and called it a nuisance. Planning commissioner asked what they specifically objected to..."we object to the noise created by the waterfalls in the creek. We like the way the creek sounds now."

Unbelievable. This is an association made up of people who spend 2-4 weeks a year in our resort town.

Registered
    Sep 1999

Best NIMBY quote

We don't want that subdivision next door because our homes start at $400,000 and go up to more than a million. Building homes next door priced at $250,000 will ruin our property values. They'll look trashy." (This in an area where the average home price is $137,000).

Best NIMBY quote

I dont mind if people from the new subdivision drive past my house, as long as I know them.

Best NIMBY quote

Recently I worked in a very affluent neighborhood where a telecommunications company wanted to install a monopole tower.
    I was approached by a NIMBY, she said, "I think that we should just put a satelitte into outer space for this type of thing, even if it cost $10,000 it would only be a drop in the bucket."

She certainly was in outer space. A drop in the bucket? Whoa!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 Oct 2013, 2:29 AM
  2. Screening- Classic NIMBY quote
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Dec 2003, 2:01 PM
  3. Quote Tag - You're it.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 16 Dec 2002, 11:04 PM