Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why do the benefits with privates sector jobs suck?

Why do the benefits with privates sector jobs suck?

I would to know what other private planning firms offer in terms of benefits. My firm offers horrible health insurance and no vacation days the first year (5 the second year). Is this common?

why do the benefits with privates sector jobs suck?

Laura,

I just graduated with a masters in planning and previous student loans from a law degree. I am currrently looking for a job with which to support myself,cover insurance needs,and pay these loans so I can relate.

Also Laura

Registered
    Aug 2002

Not always

It can be tough to locate private firms in the first place. Most keep a low public profile. Mine is disguised as a civil engineering firm, but is multidisciplinary.

My company provides an HMO or POS health plan, 3 weeks paid time off in the first year, paid time illness, a dental DMO, vision, life insurance, short and long term disability, employee stock ownership, tuition reimbursement, one membership in a professional organization, and a 50% match to the 401K.

why do the benefits with privates sector jobs suck?

I have never heard of problems with benefits such as medical plans, 401Ks, vacation, etc in the private sector. In fact, the benefit packages are often as nice, if not nicer than most pubic sector planning jobs. However, the pay is usually significantly lower than a public sector job until you have 5+ years experience and "AICP" behind your name. After that, the salaries generally far exceed public sector jobs but so do the hours.

Why do the benefits with privates sector jobs suck?

My firm matches what the local municipalities pay for planners, they offer a PPO insurance with a $1000 deductible, 4 sick days a year, 0 vacation days the first year (5 the second), the company puts in 15% of what you put in to the 401K, one professional membership, some tuition assistance. That's about it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 24 Mar 2012, 12:48 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 15 Feb 2010, 2:07 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last post: 13 Jun 2008, 9:56 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 16 Feb 2007, 2:27 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 May 2000, 12:55 PM