Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Professional sports and depression

Professional sports and depression

i am currently looking for possible sites where i might be able to find information dealing with the idea that once a professional sports franchise leaves, the area that is left behind, more times than not, encounters a period of economic depression. with all of the talk about new facilities being necessary for survival i am determining that these areas are only looking out for themselves rather than the welfare of the city that they call home.
    the areas i would like to look at, but not limited to include; cleveland, baltimore, and houston in the nfl. winnipeg, manitoba, canada and hartford in the nhl. any other suggestions would be welcomed

granted some of these cities have since gotten teams to come in and call these places home, but if losing these franchises in some cases, is "no big deal," then why do these places so actively search to replace them with another team. are they really an economic boom or a bust, or are they just viewed as necessary for the city to be considered "major league?"

feel free to e-mail me with any information. and thank you in advance for any assistance with my search

professional sports and depression

William,

Another city you might look at is Los Angeles, which lost two professional football teams within the past ten years. It may also be interesting to look at the Atlanta concerning the 1996 Olympics. Are the Olympic games a great revenue producer? What happens with the newly created infrastructure? In addition you might want to view the case of Indianapolis, Indiana which is vying to be the countries capital for amateur sports.

professional sports and depression

I can't help with sites or specific information, but if you are interested in an international case study, Melbourne, Australia might be of interest. We have been going through a period of trying (with some success) to attract sports events to the City. (For instance the Grand Prix).

This is done on the basis that a) it raises the national and international profile of the City through media coverage etc. B) increased tourism/visitation c) spin off indirect expenditure by visitors.

There is considerable debate as to the real economic impact of such events, as there is usually considerable expense involved in attracting them, and as you suggest - fall-out if and when they leave.

I would be interested to hear of the results of your investigation into this issue.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 29
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 1:24 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 04 Feb 2013, 3:29 PM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last post: 04 Apr 2010, 8:02 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 07 Dec 2004, 10:52 PM
  5. Professional Sports Teams
    Make No Small Plans