Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Evolution of urban streets

Evolution of urban streets

Hello Folks,

I am a research assistant in Izmir Institute of Technology in Turkey , in Izmir, and I am also master candidate in urban design.

As a master thesis I work on evolution of urban streets in the context of urban form, and urban life.

It is well known that our world is changing and developing very rapidly in all terms. Technology, globalization, rapid industrialization, urbanization are some concepts that are widely discussed all around the world and they all interact with each other to create new forms (physical and/or social.)

On this basis it is true to say that, in the future, with these changes in social life, new groups will exist and new physical structures will be essential. Rapidly increasing effects of technology on the urban fabric today make people possible to done all the work ,entertainment and other needs without leaving their personal computers.

I believe that decline of urban public spaces will be observed more tragically than today. Urban streets are one of the most important components of urban public space and i m afraid that they are no more used for communication, entertainment and leisure activities. Today, the use of urban street is transformed into traffic channels that only provides access between work and home. I am trying to find answers of some broad questions to forecast the future of urban street today.
    · What sort of differences will be observed on streetscape related to new technologies? (land-use, types of activity, features of elements)
    · Can street activities will go on surviving? If yes, what are the new characteristics and space organizations and requirements of them?
    · What are the possible requirements of urban streets in next decades?
    · How to affect virtual communities, cyber city and such concepts the existence of urban street ?

Changing urban life and behavior in the last decades shows us that this future is not so far and away and as planners and architects we should be ready to face the problems of this change and begin to search for solutions.

I would like to learn your points of view about effects of technology on the urban streets and life of the urban streets.

Also, I would like to learn if any research and/or project is done about future of urban streets, new dimensions of urban streets as the component of urban public space. Effects of communication based organizations and communities on the urban public space especially in urban streets.

If you could inform me this or if you can put me in contact with anyone interested in these subjects I would be very much pleased. If you can send me e-mail it would be very much helpful.

With all my best regards.
    Koray Velibeyoglu

Registered
    Dec 2006

evolution of urban streets

hello Koray,

this is Nesreen El-Kady from Egypt, i've been surfing the internet now searching for that topic "evolution of urban streets" and i found u, so i'm still searching and hope that may be we can work on this together since u're studying the same thing.
    i haven't started my thesis yet, i'm still making a diploma, but i'm planning to carry on and i was thinking that this would be a good subject to take in my thesis.

thanks,
    nesreen.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by nesreen View post
    hello Koray,

this is Nesreen El-Kady from Egypt, i've been surfing the internet now searching for that topic "evolution of urban streets" and i found u, so i'm still searching and hope that may be we can work on this together since u're studying the same thing.
    i haven't started my thesis yet, i'm still making a diploma, but i'm planning to carry on and i was thinking that this would be a good subject to take in my thesis.

thanks,
    nesreen.
    Moderator note:
    Sorry, but this user has not been active on Cyburbia since 2005-09-25, and this thread dates back to the old message boards that predated the current forums, posted in 1997. You will not likely get any response from this user.

Moderator note:
    (Dan) The account of the original poster is one of many dummy accounts created so old messages would be better associated with the people that posted them. As NHPlanner wrote, it's likely the original poster hasn't visited Cyburbia in years.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 21 Dec 2006 at 9:26 AM.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 21 Nov 2012, 2:37 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 07 Nov 2011, 1:55 PM
  3. Suburban to urban transition streets
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 24 Nov 2010, 2:16 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 28 Feb 2008, 9:47 AM