Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning and the city of the future

Planning and the city of the future

I would like any information available on the changing concept of space/place as we head into a future where technology means location will no longer be relevant. What are the implications for the planning profession? How will this change the theories of location choice etc..

planning and the city of the future

Location will always be relevant, regardless of any realistic futurism. Centers of industry, commerce, government or culture may be altered or redesigned but they will exist. Think of the historical centers of the aforementioned...New York, Cairo, London, Athens, Rome...these places have withstood technological changes over the centuries.

I tend to agree with G McGregor. I think that though we may not need to leave our homes to go to work or school in the future, because we are such social creatures we will always want to congregate. The reasons for the congregation may change, but we will still want each others company.

We may find that we gather because we have similar interests, vocations, faiths, or just to find a mate. But I also agree that we will continue to gather in existing, established places for historical reasons and maybe just because of the momentum and romance these places have accrued over the hundreds and sometimes thousands of years of their existence(s).

In fact, telecommuting, and I'm sure, other future tools will give us more freedom to choose where we want to live. I can't believe that people of the future would not want to live in our beautiful cities.

I seems to me that you could find a lot of information on this if you look into the changing nature of work in North American society. Author, Jeremy Rifkin, is a good source in that area. The cities we live in have been organized in such a way as to facilitate our relationship between work and home. Information technology is, and will continue to change that relationship, and subsequently will change the way our cities develop in the future. If you find some good sources, please let me know.

Although we are entering the next centuries with the introduction of intelligent cities and multi media super coriddor, that does not mean we must not meet in person. We still need all social community facilities including schools, place of worships etc. Otherwise we will create a sick society.

i agree with Mc Gregor.

Dear Colleagues,

i try to find some reasonable answers about the impacts of inforamtion technology on the urban streets. Our streets today are used for only traffic channels. We should research the 21 st.century urban streets.

Communication role of urban street is now interrupted by the new information tools. On the other hand if it is not important where you are then it is not important location. If the location free via the new technologies why can i pay high rents for land.

So you do not have to rent an office on the main street.

Best regards,

koray velibeyoglu

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Future of the city
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Dec 2011, 1:03 AM
  2. Future City Design Competition
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 27 Apr 2007, 4:51 AM